Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alpine Five / Five 29er?
  • floki
    Free Member

There don’t seem to be that many reviews of the Alpine Five / Five 29er around.
    Does anyone who has one have any thoughts / comments?
    I’m hankering after a longer travel 29er and the Alpine Five seems about the longest / slackest thing going.
    Any info on sizing and build weights would be really useful.

Thanks.

PS – please spare me the “they are over priced / agricultural / simple / ugly / not-carbonium enough” stuff (thank you).

posiwev
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5 29er (which I got originally as my winter bike) and I’ve got to say I’m impressed, I’m not sure if it’s the 29 or geometry element, but it seems to suit me over my other steeds, it climbs, descends and rolls very well, anyother reason for me getting it was being designed in the UK it suits our ‘conditions’ although now renamed 5 Alpine, mines a large, which towers over most other bikes.

james_turk
    Free Member

Love mine. More manoeuvrable than the Tracer 29 I had before, I think due to the low bottom bracket more than anything. It’s definitely slack and long, but I still don’t have a problem with it on tight switchbacks. Jumps well too.

A 50mm stem works better than anything shorter, as it allows more weight on the front wheel for grip.

The one thing I would change is the length of the headtube; it’s very long, so flat bars are essential to keep your hands in a normal-ish position.

Spend money on wheels to get something strong and light, to allow you to get the most out of the bike.

For me, it’s an ideal all round bike for south Wales.

roverpig

The one thing I would change is the length of the headtube; it’s very long, so flat bars are essential to keep your hands in a normal-ish position.

What size is your Five? Just wondering whether the headtube is only an issue in smaller sizes.

I guess nobody has yet ridden an Alpine Five and a Segment for comparison. Personally I’d be wondering whether a very similar geometry with snappier handling would be more fun or whether you’d just end up concluding that you might as well have the extra travel.

Still the OP wants long travel, so that’s a moot point really.

z1ppy

Come on RP, put you money where you mouth is, and get a couple of demo’s 😉
    Orange will send the bikes out to your local dealer.
    I’ve got a proper/local (abet wet) Segment demo early next month, to see if my 1st ride was a misrepresentation.

chakaping
    Free Member

I very nearly bought one, looks like a great bike.

I just wonder now whether Orange might be planning to tweak the geometry to make it a bit longer still, like the new Alpine 160?

floki
    Free Member

I’ve already got short travel (110mm) 29er and looking for something with more travel. Segment would be too similar I’m guessing.
    One of the few other bikes out there that seems to be similar in geometry would be the Transition Smuggler – but again short(-ish) travel?

chestrockwell

I love my 5 29. May not be a surprise to find out they ride very much like 5 just with the added and discussed to death benefits of 29″ wheels. They’re big old bikes although don’t feel as such apart from on long, flat climbs. I find I can chuck it about pretty much the same as I could the 26″ and although people moan about the long chainstay I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it being a problem.

I like the feeling of endless travel (for the riding I do) so probably wouldn’t want to drop to a Segment. Mate has a Specialized Camber Evo and his only complaint is that he sometimes feels like he runs out of travel.
    Size wise, I’m 6’2″ and the L (19″) fits me perfectly. I’ve had a 20″ and 18″ 5 in the past which I always thought were slightly too big/small.

Don’t know exactly what mine weighed in ‘S’ form but it was not light although it never felt as heavy as it probably was if that makes sense. When I rebuild I think a 30lb build should be possible without going too daft. I know people moan about the Fox CTD shock but I find it pretty good and a decent match to the bike.

I got mine for a decent price with the intention of keeping it a year or so before changing to the 650b when I had some more cash. I then tested the 650b and although it’s very nice I think I’m a 29″ convert as it just seemed like a tamer version of my bike.

I’m sure you already know but at the demo the Orange lads confirmed the Alpine 5 and 5 29 are the same frame. Get one, they’re ace! 😀

roverpig

Come on RP, put you money where you mouth is, and get a couple of demo’s

Will do. Just don’t want to arrange a demo then find the trails are under three foot of snow. So will probably need to wait until March/April, which leaves plenty of time for pointless online pontificating 🙂

Interested to hear how your demo goes though.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I must admit I do like the look of the Alpine 5. The weight is a concern (as my previous FS bike was very light indeed for a 140mm trail bike) but the only review I’ve read it was tested in up and down the Alps:

Team Tested: Orange Alpine Five Review

I’ve had a 5 in the past and liked it a lot so looking forward to testing one out in the spring. (Along with a long list of other 29er long and short travel FS bikes). I’d be interested to see or know how the A5 compares to the Nicolai ION15 too.

james_turk
    Free Member

Forgot to say in my earlier post; mine is a Large. I’m just over 6ft, and the sizing seems spot on.

The main thing you’ll notice about the bike is; on rough descents, it is seriously fast. There’s a downhill track near me in Llantrisant (Smilog 1 on Strava), and the middle section is a long root-fest. It just smashes through it as if it’s not there.

New 36’s up front, Float X on the back. Both work really well with the bike.

Northwind

I couldn’t find one at the right price, but I loved the demo rides, even with the usual random Orange spec mistakes and joke tyres, fantastic bikes. Still would like one (or a Remedy 29, which is also superb)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Five / Five 29er?’ is closed to new replies.