Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpine Elements
  • oxym0r0n

Has anyone done one of these holidays with a young (5 yr olds) family? Thinking of going to Morzine

Not planning on abandoning the family all week but have a few questions…

What was the riding/guiding like? I am not an enduro gravity gnar rider but spent a great week doing some big mountains with Doug at BasqueMTB last summer

Is the pricing up front or do you end up paying for lots of little extras?

What are the children’s clubs like and is there plenty to do as a family + were there suitable bikes for little ones?

Thanks in advance

jam1e
    Free Member

We went to Morzine with Alpine Elements last year and stayed in the Ridge Hotel. It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the lifts from the hotel.

We were given Portes Du Soliel Multi Passes which give you free access to the ski lifts (on foot – you have to buy your own bike pass), the swimming pools and various other activities. There was plenty to keep the family busy.

The hire bikes that came with the holiday are fairly basic Specialized hard tails but they are fine for pootling about (I took my own bike) – there is a nice easy path that follows the river up the valley which makes a pleasant family ride. There is also a family downhill from the top of the Plenny lift which mainly uses fire roads to come down.

We had half board – the food was pretty good. We generally made some sandwiches for lunch at breakfast and pinched some fruit!

There were plenty of other kids about, however my daughter is 14 so I can’t really comment on the kids club.

There are trails for everyone there. If you want to go down red/black downhills you can. I spent most of my time getting cable cars up into the mountains and doing some exploring. The trails are all well marked although some can get a bit boggy! A good ride was up the Super Morzine lift, over to
    Les Brochaux and up the Mossettes lift to the Swiss border. There are several trails down from up there.

The only extras we paid for were a white water rafting trip and a bike lift pass.

All in all it was a very good holiday. Once you take into account the flights, transfers, accommodation and food I don’t think we could have done it any cheaper.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Stayed with them in Chalet Nyon years ago, the accommodation was basic and a bit run down IMO – they also have very modest budgets given to the hosts to buy food so it gets a bit basic at times – for example we had “vegitarian Thai curry” on the last night which was chicken green curry, but the lad had run out of budget for chicken – I was lovely but a bit light after a day in the mountains, despite all that it was probably the best trip to the Alps we had, the whole chalet (20 or so people) bonded and we took to all riding together and Tom the Host was an absolute star.

Not sure id take my family to that particular chalet though, everyone eats dinner on one table, there was some good old fashioned beer drinking that went on and some course language – I’m sure everyone would be more careful with kids about, but there would be a lot of noise and whatnot.

Last year we stayed in a lovely hotel slight up from the otherside of the supermorzine bridge – it’s got an in-door pool and games for kids etc. Morzine is great for families, cheap too! The €1 a day pass thing is an all-time great bargain.

There’s loads more signage on the trails now, if you’re worried about riding alone throw up the dates you’re out there / there’s bound to be some STWers about who you can join up with.

oxym0r0n

Great, thanks guys – considering taking my Solaris, even though it is quite an xc build and 1×10 as it is what I am used to and has taken everything I have thrown at it so far!

Will put up dates, once we’ve confirmed in case anyone else is going…

oxym0r0n

Bu for the sunday crowd…

oxym0r0n

Anyone else been on a holiday with these guys please? Hoping to please the whole family! 😉

Sui
    Free Member

Yep, shower of shiz. Went years ago to les arc with them and they were woeful. The chalet host tried making up for it all he even went and found some guidguides for us.. Accommodation was shiz,two floors separated by a knackered crumbling stone stair..

ready

When are you going? I’m taking the family (me, the Mrs, and 14 &16 year old boys) to Tignes in July with Alpine Elements. I’ll let you know how it goes. Just had an email to upgrade the ‘free’ bikes to Spesh Cambers at a slightly cheaper rate, which I’ll probably do. But now considering packing my Remedy for some proper ‘me’ time..
    Anyone got a review of Tignes?

Onzadog
    Free Member

John, I’ve done a fair bit in the pds, you’ll be fine on the Solaris. I’m guessing you’re looking more at lift assisted trail riding than pure downhill.

oxym0r0n

Heading to Morzine in August so hopefully not the same experience as Sui 😯
    Yes, trail riding OD (I think that the world cup course might have changed a bit since 15 odd years ago, when I rode it on a Gary Fisher Sugar!)
    Might have to renew my dogleg though…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Elements’ is closed to new replies.