Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alpine biking on your lonesome
  • ebennett

Thinking about doing a week in the Alps this summer, but I suspect that organising anything like this will be like herding cats with the few people I ride with. Anyone done it on their own? Will I end up paying double as most rates are based on 2 sharing?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If it helps motivate you; I have done it on my own. Although it was road cycling. And I stayed at a mates Chalet so the only time I didn’t have “company” was when I was actually riding. And even then, I went on a few big days out with one of his mates who runs a guiding company.

Get yersell on facebook; you’ll be able to find a chalet to share with another group.

sharkattack

I went a few years ago with the girlfriend and my mates were coming out a week and a half later so she (very generously!) flew home by herself and left me out there to wait for my ‘lads holiday’. I stayed in a tiny apartment that was 90 quid a week and was quite happy. I was only riding DH though so stuck to the main lifts and busy areas so I was never going to end up lost or injured out in the wilderness.

If I was doing it now I’d get in touch with Riders Refuge and see if they had a single bed in one of their 5 or 6 chalets. That way you’d be fed twice a day and have loads of people hanging around to ride with. In fact I’m thinking of doing just that this year while Crankworx is on.

chakaping
    Free Member

You won’t end up paying double, and some operations provide dorm-style accommodation anyway so you may not pay any extra.

ebennett

Grand, it would be nice to have people to ride with so was thinking about doing a guided one. Where’s good for a mix of natural stuff and bike park Wales type stuff?

yetitony
    Free Member

I had some free time last year so headed over, as it was summer I camped which made it cheaper and not as hard to find accommodation. The campsite afforded me the chance to meet other bikers as well as we are easy to spot.
    I did manage a slight dab though which was a bit scary on my own in the middle of nowhere so I would suggest letting someone know where you are riding or get in with a group.
    Alp crashing

sharkattack

If you don’t know your way around the Alps I think the consensus is to start with Morzine. It’s a busy little town with stuff going on and loads of people to latch onto or get advice from. It’s also very easy to reach other resorts like Les Gets and Lindarets. It is absolutely packed with trails and easy to get around so just have a bash at everything you see. If you don’t like it, ride one of the other dozens of trails.

You don’t really need a guide in this area unless you want to go off the map. It’s a perfect introduction to Alpine riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah Morzine or Chatel would be good if you like bike park tracks, but you probably won’t find a guided holiday there.

Les Arcs kind of area is better if you want an all-in holiday, but it’s more about the singletrack and technical walking trails.

White Room there are good and I believe they offer days out to bike parks in neighbouring resorts.

ebennett

Morzine sounds pretty good, will need to look into prices. Normally ride solo over here but I’m a bit paranoid about having an off over there if I’m solo, which is more why I wanted to do the guiding rather than wanting directions.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s so busy that if you do fall off, someone will find you within a matter of minutes.

Infact, watching people fall off makes the Les Gets chairlift ride far more entertaining.

chakaping
    Free Member

watching people fall off makes the Les Gets chairlift ride far more entertaining.

Those big tabletops must have claimed more victims than Jack the Ripper.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Those big tabletops must have claimed more victims than Jack the Ripper.

😀

I once watched a chap and his (assuming) OH riding down a bit of slightly off piste stuff, right under the lift. He rode into a puddle and went straight over the handlebars; his OH who was right behind him did exactly the same thing. I don’t think they could have done it any better if they;d tried.

sharkattack

I forgot to mention a major logistical advantage of staying in Morzine.

If for any reason you miss the last lift or they go off for any reason like a thunderstorm or something, you can always bomb down the road from Les Gets or Avoriaz back into Morzine. You do not want to push up that hill to Les Gets if the Pleney lift goes off or you stay too long in the bar afterwards 😉

As you’re cruising down the hill you always see a bunch of sad sacks who got it wrong coming up the other way with very long faces!

ebennett

Sounds like that could be a plan then – I do love watching skiers stack it when I’m on the lifts in the winter!

I know this will be a bit of a piece of string question, but how much does an average biking holiday cost with decent accommodation, food, lift pass, transfers, and flights? I’m guessing I’d need to budget about £1,200-1,500.

sharkattack

We always drive down now but I’ll guesstimate flights and accommodation for 600 quid max. Leaves you with a lot of beer money. Send Riders Refuge a facebook message then you’ll know for sure.

You’ve got me thinking now. Bloody roll on summer.

saxabar
    Free Member

Gone solo a few times. I’ve done seasons where I’ve met up with folk out there, but for a week it’s definitely better in a group. See set-ups like Trail Addiction, White Room and one in Verbier I forget the name of.

It can be done for less, but budget for £1200 and you should come home with change (depending on mechanicals and taste for beer!)

Stoner
    Free Member

If you DIY it in Morzine/Les Gets:

Easyjet to GVA from Bristol can be got for <€100 e/w with a bike depending on dates, but if you DIY it you can pick flexible (cheaper) dates

A week at http://www.chaletmontana.eu/ for €300 fully fed.

Transfers can be tricky in Summer as the Co.s can’t be certain of filling a van. I recommend hiring a little car for the week for about €200. However, http://www.chaletmontana.eu/#!rates/cb56 claim to be able to organise transfers for €100, but may not be quite as flexible. Best to talk to Zeb to put together a plan

6 days pass €100

Leaves plenty of cash for beer and lunch. And the odd replacement component 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I did my trail addiction holiday on my own, no extra charge. Shared a room with another solo traveler.

£1,200 should be ample. You’ll pay a bit more with Bike Verbier as its Switzerland but you might even be able to do a trip with them for £1,200 if you book your flights early

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alpine biking on your lonesome’ is closed to new replies.