Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alpine 160/Nomad/Tracer…
  • lank45
    Free Member

I’ve decided that it’s time to get rid of the old Specialized Enduro and treat myself. I’ve been looking at a few different bikes but have yet to have a chance to get a test ride, mainly due to the fact bike shops want £50 off you to take one for a spin!

I’ve been looking at the Alpine 160, but at 6’1″ I don’t know whether the 18″ or 20″ would be better. Is there anyone in and around Calderdale who wouldn’t mind me chucking a leg over theres?

Also, what other bikes are out there which could rival the above for do it all AM bikes?

coogan
    Free Member

Turner 5 Spot.

lank45
    Free Member

Just seen the Chumba Evo 2, looks very nice but doesn’t seem to be released yet…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

recently replaced a Mk1 Nomad with an Alpine 160. for the nomad it was a case of “dont meet your heroes”, always loved the look of em and it was one of my dream bikes. Climbed like a dog in the granny ring (the chain compressed the lower VP link effectively shortening the chainstay by about 3/4″ every pedal stroke). Amazed no reviews ever highlighted this. Newer Mk2 VPP is supposed to be better though but VPP is a design I would recommend trying before you buy. Newer ones also supposed to have better longer lasting bearings, 90 quid for a full set every year would get trying.

Alpine descends and handles as well as the Nomad but climbs far better. Probably heavier as I have a CCDB on it rather than an air shock but any effect of extra weight is hidden by the better climbing.

I am by no means a fanboi of orange, Ive always thought of them as overpriced and industrial fugly and in a long ago thread wrote “oranges leave me cold”. I bought the alpine primarily as it was too cheap to pass up on at the time I was shopping around, on the basis I could sell it used for what I paid for it new (£1050 with the CCDB, theyve sold out I’m afraid), but I can say I wont be selling it.

If youre in calderdale arent you around the corner from Orange (I grew up in Kirklees in the next valley)? cant help on size too much, I’m 5’10” and went for a small/16″ as the dimensions were what I have settled on for bikes that feel right for me.

Also look at the Transition Covert, a nicely built US niche frame and a decent price (£1300) compared to RRP of the Alpine and others. A riding mate (trimix on here) bought one after test riding a few and was imppressed by how well it rode and climbed. Nicely finished and good looking too.

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/transition-bikes-covert-2010-frame-p-4252.html

oxnop
    Free Member

Im located near Calderdale and usually ride in or around Hebden twice a week, mines a 18″ and would be happy for you to have a spin. I imagine that the 18″ may be too short on the TT but that will depend on your proportions 🙂 (( im 5 11″ and run mine with a 50mm stem ))

I can safely say that the Alpine is by far the best bike I have ever owned. Prior to the Alpine I had a Blur LTc for around a year, took it to Spain, DH tracks, trail centres etc. Prior to that I had a Mojo SL / Orange 5 AM / Pace RC405 / Trance etc so I think I have a good idea of what I like and don’t like about bikes.

I run mine with a DHX5 coil and it descends amazingly and climbs pretty well too, it handles really slow / tight steep techy turns way better than I expected considering its wheelbase.

It also feels bombproof, i’ve never had a bike I care less about (I suppose that fact that its polished so scrapes dont show up contributes to that feeling)

I have since added a Reverb so it weighs in at around 33lbs (DH UST tyres dont help)

lank45
    Free Member

Oxnop whereabouts are you located. Will you be out on your bike tomorrow at all,if so where as I could possibly meet up while I am riding.
    Thanks

oxnop
    Free Member

Tomorrow i’m taking a group out who are training for C2C so Ill be on my HT rather that the 160, I’ll be riding over Hebden way on Monday.

Im in Oxenhope BTW.

lank45
    Free Member

Thought as much by the name. I’ll make an effort to get to Hebden Monday then. Whereabouts in Hebden you riding?

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Im 6′ 1″ and ride an 18″ Alpine, fits perfectly.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Lank45

My previous bike to my current one was a 2005 Enduro. I considered the bikes you listed above but having tried a few of them, I found that I genuinely preferred the way a true Horst link bike works, i.e. very neutral, sort of blends into the background.

I went with a Nicolai Helius AM, which also has the benefit of being very versatile as it can be set up anywhere between 135mm and 167mm of travel and have a corresponding build.

I run mine in the 145mm setting, with a Cane Creek double barrel, ti spring and RS Revelation 150mm forks. With a 1×10 set up and the lightest parts I could select, it hits the scales at 29lbs exactly.

In terms of ride geometry, it is a lot like the Orange Five/Alpine, i.e. slack and very low so it carries speed like cruise missile. The suspension platform is obviously very different; like I say, it is very neutral, which means that you can’t feel what it’s doing in the way you can a single pivot or DW link. I’m not saying that these designs are any way inferior, it’s just a matter of preference and I prefer the neutral feel. You get bags of trail feedback but the bike sort of disappears into the background and lets you/(me) get on with riding it fast.

A large would be a perfect fit; frame weight is 3.1kg without shock and Nicolai can supply the CCDB so it actually has a few internal modifications to make it work really well with the design (I had these modifications done to an aftermarket model via Dave at Stendec and the results are astounding).

This is it before I swapped out the fork for the Revelation (the Revelation IMO is actually better damped than the Fox 36, so that while it’s not as stiff, it seems to cope better especially over faster repeated hits).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had one of the first Alpines and I didn’t quite gel with it. I love my Five, and I expected the Alpine to be a long travel Five. Instead, it felt like a Five that was dopey; like it had just got out of bed.

The standard wheels (XM321 rims) on the standard build didn’t help, there’s a whole chunk of excess weight there. Lighter wheels brightened it up considerably.

I tested a Carbon Nomad in the US, and it was OK. But when you’re looking to splurge £2500 on a frame I expect to have my drawers blown off.

I ended up with a Yeti ASR7, and it is tremendous fun. I have my eye on something else now though…..

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Nomad and Helius AM are great to ride, really enjoyed them..Uzzi VP was perfect for the Alps, but too much for back home. I had the previous Tracer VP but now have a Tracer 2 with CCDB….amazing bike would recommend it .

Can’t comment on a Orange Alpine but nice Helius Geetee1972 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alpine 160/Nomad/Tracer…’ is closed to new replies.