Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alpine 160… A few questions if I may?
  • wobblyrod
    Free Member

Got an Alpine 160 on the way and need to convert my Hope Pro 2 to the required 12mm x 135mm axle. (assuming I have the right dimensions :mrgreen: )

Question is, is it a simple thu-Axle conversion I need to buy?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pr…ru/rp-prod21849

I assume this is going to be 135mm as there is a different add for 142mm

Next one… this whole gearing malarkey, to I stay at 3×9 or do I try 1×10? Is the 1×10 doable around the average trail centre (where I do 99% of my riding) Does the 10 speed chain take the battering a 16 stone bloke can stomp in to it?

Cheers for your input folks.
    R ❓ d

zerocool

I’m riding 32×11-36 on my Alpine. I’m by no means very fit and have been ok out in the Alps this summer and around the Forest Of Dean. I think I’d struggle somewhere like Cwmcarn, but I found it pretty hard on the very steep stuff with my 2×10. I switched as I’ve always had problems with front mechs over the years and prefer the simplicity of a IO chain ring but can’t afford a 1×11 drivetrain. For the most part I’m happy to walk if it gets to steep for me.

I’m currently running Hope Pro 2 Evos and as far as I know you will just need the standard 12×135 conversion kit (think you have the right link). If you’re not sure just contact Hope and they’ll tell you. I usually email them.

Tom KP

colournoise

Alpine rear end is 142 x 12 though isn’t it?

That’s what I’ve just successfully fitted to my new Alpine frame anyway.

z1ppy

I changed ‘back’ from 1×10 to 2×10 as it made my knees hurt, I rode all year with it, and it does work but struggling in the lowest gear on steep long climbs just wasn’t for me (I like spinning). Couldn’t see why ppl think front mech are a faff, and when you weigh as much as “us” is the weight saving really worthwhile?
    Didn’t find that the 1×10 system wore excessively, in fact it surprised me how well it did lasted till it wore out. If you do convert, definitely get a clutch mech to go with it IMO. I only went 1×10 as it came on the new bike, definitely wouldn’t change to it (when it comes, cheap 11 speed maybe), unless I was going to use a cassette extender (which are too much of a compromise IMO).

deviant
    Free Member

As above, isn’t the Alpine a 142mm rear end?

The discounted 27.5 2014 models I’ve been looking at are anyway.

wobblyrod
    Free Member

The frame I’m getting is a 2013. I can’t find any definitive info.on it. I’ll have to see if the seller can confirm I guess?

Is there a rear cassette in 9 speed flavour that has a large cog @36 teeth or is that the realm of 10 speeders only?

Thanks for the advice on the clutch mech. I have been wavering on using all the stuff off my SX Trail that I’ll be breaking down but on looking on what’s now available I might go down the expensive route (LOL)
    Rod

deviant
    Free Member

Ribble do a full Shimano 2×10 groupset in Deore for £145 or SLX for £190, that’s where I’d go for a new drive train at the moment.

kwack
    Free Member

I converted my 2×9 to 1×9 over weekend on my Spec Enduro as I found that I didnt use the granny ring at all.

I use a 34t front with a 11-32 on back with all my standard XT/XTR stuff I already had. I purchased a Narrow Wide front 34t and away I go.

At some point I will go to a 11-34 on back when current cassette wears out but for my weekly ride and around Dalby over hols which doesnt have many hills I found that setup more than fine

Depends on what equipment you already have lying about which will help make a decision. I looked at that deal on Ribbles but felt it wasnt worth the expense of getting a 11-36 on back

z1ppy

you can get 12-36 (9 speed) deore cassettes, but if your staying 3 or 2×9 why worry, or are you thinking of trying 1×9?

robbonzo
    Free Member

The Alpine used to be 135mm Maxle rear end so you are right about that. The new ones are 142mm. Id get a Hope Trex, been great on my Asr. Didnt even need to adjust the mech that much.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Ps, Is it defo an Pro 2 and not a Pro2 evo hub? On the evos you just buy the end caps conversion kit.

wobblyrod
    Free Member

cheers again all.
    Hub is a PRO 2 so the thru axle kit @135 it is.

Gearing – with regards the cassette 36 teeth, yes again, I was going to try 1 x 9 with longer ratios. I find that when I change I generally skip a gear. So I thought I’d give it a go with a 32 or 34 front which I already have and I’d use the current mech and shifted (bit brasic having bought the frame and forks) Good shout on the deore 🙂

Thanks again,
    Rod

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alpine 160… A few questions if I may?’ is closed to new replies.