Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alpe D'huez – XC riding?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anyone know of much? I had entered the Megavalanche but have decided to hit it on the head after breaking my collarbone a few weeks ago. Hoping now for a week of road and XC instead. Is there many hardcore XC climbs that go parallel to the main road up to the village? Or higher up the mountain above the village?

Cheers and I really want to do the mega but I think I have more to lose by doing it compared with not doing it.

I know there is lots of good road riding so not even going to ask about that.

chakaping
    Free Member

http://www.activeazur.com/mountain-bike-trail-maps/alpe-dhuez

Quite a few marked enduro and XC routes I think. Only did a couple of the enduro ones though.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cool. I’d like tough long climbs, and not too tough descents as I can’t afford to crash at all (bone still fusing together).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks but not the easiest map to read. Hard to tell which ones are XC and which are Enduro/downhill?

jamesoz

If you haven’t cancelled the entry, sack off qualifying or just let everybody past and take your time, you’ll then be in the affinity race where you can start when you want and bimble down in your own time if you want.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not much easier to read when you have the paper version TBH.

Think there’s some with tame descents, from what a pal said. I’m sure someone better informed will be along shortly though.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

If you haven’t cancelled the entry, sack off qualifying or just let everybody past and take your time, you’ll then be in the affinity race where you can start when you want and bimble down in your own time if you want.

Not a bad idea but don’t really fancy that if I’m being honest 😳 .

hammerite
    Free Member

Michael – try here http://bike-oisans.com/en/footer/guides-to-download

I have a very old hard copy of these which I think have been updated. Never used the VTT one, but did do lots of the road routes. They’re very good routes. They’ll probably do English versions, you can pick up hard copies at any of the tourist information offices which pretty much all villages have.

beagle
    Free Member

Current Cycling Plus has a feature of an alternate gravel climb to the top…..

richardthird

Col du Sabot’s a bit shit on a road bike, very gravelly above Vaujany (it’s not a through road) but there’s a great natural xc route running down from the top back to Allemont dam. It’s so quiet you could probs climb it too if that way inclined.

hammerite
    Free Member

Great views from the top of the Sabot and a good chance of spotting some wildlife.

richardthird

There’s always the Cheminee de la Balme.

wilburt
    Free Member

There is loads, Strava is your friend to find it from here, then stop off at the ADH cycles (predictably run by Aussies) for local advice.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

MTB stuff in general around AdH is nowhere near as good as other resorts.
    The Mega course is fun, but if you are not doing that I would just ride your road bike. Plenty of incredible cols that you can ride. At least 3 ways back up to AdH, plus a few more that join the main climb lower down so you don’t have to climb the same mountain back up every time.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Current Cycling Plus has a feature of an alternate gravel climb to the top…..

Would that be online too or magazine only??

🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

but if you are not doing that I would just ride your road bike. Plenty of incredible cols that you can ride.

Hmm thinking of doing a few days of each actually.

beagle
    Free Member

Would that be online too or magazine only??

Sorry, it was cyclist mag last month. Eventually found the feature. If you can’t find the feature online shout and I’ll send a copy….. 🙂

loamy23 at hotmail dit com

Beagle

(Recent clavicle surgery alumni)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Sorry, it was cyclist mag last month

Ah I see, that explains it. I bought July issue of Cycling plus and couldn’t see it. Thanks I’ll have a search online first!

JackHammer

I rode/carried up Col de Vallette (near Alpe d’Huez). We got lost (get a proper map)… so came back down what we came up. Was cool. 27km up an Alp is a lot more than you think 😀

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

MTB stuff in general around AdH is nowhere near as good as other resorts.

First time I’ve heard that one – but I guess the park + 2Alpes is so big they’ve taken in a lot of the treeline trails on their maps now.

+1 for the Ride Oisans guide mentioned about, lots of useful stuff there. There’s descent stuff from Oz over towards Huez and the other villages on that side, reluctant to classify as xc / enduro / DH etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alpe D'huez – XC riding?’ is closed to new replies.