• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alpe d’Huez suggestions
  • KateD
    Free Member

Hi,

We’re lucky enough to have some family living out in Alpe d’Huez for the summer so we’re heading out there in July and are taking the bikes.

Looking at most of the you tube footage of the riding out there (Mega Avalanche aside) it all looks pretty rough and barren and my ideas of a Heidi esque landscape with smooth dusty singletrack is taking a bit of a knocking!

While I’m up for a bit of rough I’d love to find some nice scenic, smooth, flowing stuff too. Any one been there and have some recommendations? Any advice on cross country routes or any of the downhill runs would be greatly appreciated!

IA

There’s a fair bit of scenic smoother flowing stuff, if you google bike-osians you’ll find the trail map. If I wasn’t at work I’d look it up and give you some suggestions.

That’s a starting point for you at least!

KateD
    Free Member

I’ve printed off the trail map and am ready with the highlighter! Glad to hear there’s hope for some smoother bits 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

Broadly speaking, if it’s above AdH it’ll be open and rocky, below AdH, you’re in the woods, so get the Heidi bit.

You owe it to yourself to ride the Mega & Mega Qualifier course – both are absolutely brilliant, and do include some flowier sections down to Oz/Allemont. Also have a look at 8-ball from the middle lift station above AdH down to Oz.

Get an IGN map of the area and study it closely. All those little black dotted lines will be singletrack!

IA

The black number 10 (I think? off the top of my head..) route over to the valley east of ADH (right hand side of the map) is pretty good. Worth taking a map as there are some relatively obvious detours worth a shot.

Fairly big ride though, the scale on the trail map isn’t constant and is a bit of a weird perspective! I’d recommend the appropriate IGN map too.

KateD
    Free Member

just ordering the IGN map now. thank you for the pointers, it’s sounding hopeful!

frogstomp

Any recommended guiding companies out that way? I’m going to be on my tod in the area at the start of June so wouldn’t mind hooking up with a group..

IA

Oh, whatever the longer red XCish route is over to the west up that valley – avoid that, it’s just caning about on fireroads. Dull, whilst being somehow high-speed and sketchy at the same time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alpe d’Huez suggestions’ is closed to new replies.