Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Almost too cold to ride today
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

5 of us did a ride on the Quantocks today -2c according to my car in the car park, christ knows the temperature on top of the Q’s but hell that was cold
    Fortunatly I had my old Buffalo cycling shirt on what a fantastic bit of kit it kept me toasty.
    First ride for 3 months twas so good to be out roll on the summer

Rorschach
    Free Member

The water in my bottle turned into a slush puppy!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, it was waaay colder in real terms than the weather man said! My hands got so cold I thought they might fall off! In fact, the only way to get the feeling back was to put them under my husbands armpits! Don’t know what we looked like to the riders passing by?! I was in too much pain to care though and at least it did the trick!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Did a 3 hour road ride and despite working hard I never really got warm. Took ages, and loads of food, to get me feeling human again afterwards!

rOcKeTdOg

how come it felt colder today than when it was -12 in December?

piha
    Free Member

I know what you mean saladdodger, I was riding the Quantocks yesterday and it felt chuffing cold. Icy most the way round but it was the wind that made things really uncomfortable. My first outing to the Q’s and had a really great ride out.

allthepies
    Free Member

Pah, it was fine 🙂

johnnyc

[how come it felt colder today than when it was -12 in December?]

Low humidity levels at very low air temperatures; when it is hovering around 0 C the humidity can be higher and makes it feel relatively colder. At a guess, anyway!

AndrewBF
    Free Member

@johnnyc <– what he said.

elaineanne
    Free Member

geez so it was cold and another cold day tomorow- i will be out…just get winter baselayers on and decent gloves its reight… geez december was colder and my camelbak froze within the first half hour…at least its not ‘-10’ 0r ‘-12’…lol

ampthill

Yes I was nearly caught out even in Bedfordshire. Lucky I threw another layer in the car.

Ice came out the hose pipe afterwards

crazy-legs

Did 4hrs on the road bike this morning, everyone’s bottles froze up. Not solid but certainly slushy ice, even with energy drink in them. Personally, I was OK temperature wise thanks to the right clothing.

The half way cafe stop was most welcome though.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I woke this morning to find polar bears raiding my dust bins. 🙄

knottie8
    Free Member

it was cold in the carpark waiting for a certain rider ! lol only my feet got realy cold brrrrr..

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

What do you reckon the ‘real’ temp was out on the trails today then?

I’ve ridden in snow and ice lately and not been nearly as cold… Brrr, getting cold just thinking about it!

saladdodger
    Free Member

😳 sorry I did not wear my glasses when I read your text Mr K

Gary_C

It was about -2 in Calderdale today, freezing on the downhills, but all the climbing soon had us all in a sweat !

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Only did a short ride on the road bike today, but it was icy in the gutters and the air felt very cold.

All would have been fine if when I’d got home, the boiler hadn’t packed in. The gas man can fix it… on Monday. So; just had a hearty tea and am sat with a fleece and my merino top on, with the cats up close, fan heaters in the lounge, Mrs gtth in a strop, hot water bottle readied and an extra blanket on top of the duvet. 😕

jedi

it went warm at herts as it defrosted for an hour then wham, frozen by sundown!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

It was Cold at CYB today but the trails were nice and crunchy and very fast and grippy excellent day in the saddle. 🙂

theotherjonv

last long big ring downhill this evening was so cold I got one of those ice cream headaches even witha buff on under the helmet.

If I go out again before it warms up I’m taking ducktape to the front vents.

neil853
    Free Member

-4 Around edale, awesome ride though. 22 Miles of fast, dry crunchy goodness 🙂

KonaTC

Rode 35 miles on the road pushed hard and got so cold my joints ached

Pieface

Dusty trails in winter 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yup,

felt colder today than it did on Boxing day in the snow when it was properly cold!

Had to take my tyre off 3 times too. Plus mega chainsuck. Miserable!

stevede
    Free Member

-4 at afan when i started my climb up whites early doors, a few drops of water from my leaking camelbak straw froze on my frame! Only felt cold when i stopped though, lifa hh top, merino wool t shirt and a normal royal jersey was plenty to keep me at the right temperature, the trails at afan (whites and last bit of skyline anyway) were running great today, a bizarre experience riding dry,almost dusty trails in January!

scraprider
    Free Member

lost the ole mojo a bit tbh

daveells
    Free Member

Mtfu !! Best days riding for ages.Pedal faster if you’re cold

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Had a brilliant ride on Exmoor. It was bloody cold but that’s what clothes are for. The riding was ace as everything was frozen solid and super fast. Nice.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Lovely day at Glentress, red knees, red nose, numb thumbs and a frozen Camelbak hose, and a wee sprinkling of snow at the top.
    What a beautiful day!! 😀

timothecimmerian

Very cold but dry, frozen and fast trails…I’d take it any day over the wet bog-fests of a couple of weeks ago!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I was wearing shorts in Scotland today, the frozen peat was great, didn’t even really get muddy

forgotmename
    Free Member

-3 around ladybower area at 10 am, -33 in my shoes at 2pm. Great trails tho.

Sandwich

A balmy plus 2 here in the mystic East, dropping to plus 1 according to the Edge 500. Cold feet after 24 miles on the road bike. 3 cups of tea and a couple of digestives sorted that out though at a mates house before the last 10 miles home.

sambob
    Free Member

Was dusty around Glossop today 😀 Very cold at Roman Lakes though…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Almost too cold to ride today’ is closed to new replies.