Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Almost had Deer for Dinner (video and Swinley content)
  • acidtest
    Free Member

Minding my own business riding blue 9 at Swinley and…

[video]https://youtu.be/lIFfpQwb2sU[/video]

Has anyone actually hit one? Am wondering the outcome!?

rs89
    Free Member

I’ve got pretty close a few times riding out around the Surrey hills! Closest I have ever gotten was on Yoghurt Pots where one emerged about 2m in front of me a speed. Cue a fistful of brake and much skidding. 😯 It foxtrot oscared long before I would have collided with it though. I suspect it would hurt on a bike…

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve had Red Deer run across the trail close in front of me in the Quantocks a few times, I wouldn’t want to collide with one of them. Usually worth stopping IMO, where there’s one belting along there are often a few more following.

acidtest
    Free Member

Thought it must be quite common as it’s happened to me 3 times this year and the closest one being at 40kmh near the end of Telegraph Row, didn’t even have time to brake it shot out so quick and across the path… heart in throat. Glad we don’t have bears or mooseses!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve chased a badger at speed in the past, thought it was a fat cat to start with! In my defence it was dusk.

matt_outandabout

I used to creep up on a red stag on my Killin commute, as long as it was raining. Always the same corner, just out the village.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Think you’ll find the deer would of had you for dinner

acidtest
    Free Member

Na it’s a pussy, look at it running away 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve never hit a deer but I clipped a badger once on a night ride and that didn’t end well!

thepurist

Mrs P had the same thing happen on that same section of trail, but it was back in the olden days so we were riding it the other way. Deer jumped out just at the bottom of the dip.

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Not seen any Deer at Swinley lately, but in the last week (on the road) I have nearly run over 3 squirrels – which you would assume would be difficult but one came pretty close to being under the front wheel!

blader1611
    Free Member

That deer was on 29er legs which is why he left you for dead!

stumpy01

Not hit a deer, but you get plenty at Thetford legging it in front of you, as well as Hares and badgers.

A mate had to emergency avoid a badger that bumbled out in front of him…..
    I ran a squirrel over once by accident, but it scampered off before I could really see what happened. Hopefully I didn’t crush all it’s bodily insides….!

When I lived in Bavaria I was a bit lost & popped out of a bit of forest into a grassy field. While skirting around the edge of it, a herd of around 20 large deer flew out of the forest (not literally flew) across my path and I almost ran into them. They were large roe deer; probably taller than I was sat on the bike. Shat me up a bit. Once I gained my composure I carried on, only for another group about half the size to do the same bloody thing around 50m or so up the field!

acidtest
    Free Member

Happens a lot then! I don’t get why they don’t just run the other way instead of into the path of oncoming traffic. Or is it that sometimes they do sometimes they don’t. I guess at least they’re not honey badgers.

acidtest
    Free Member

For some reason the video is trending at #30 on youtube, think they need to fix their algorithm!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

had a squirrel throw itself at my rear wheel yesterday on my commute, luckily i saw him on the grass verge and thought he might do such a thing, so i slowed, all he received was a haircut!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ran over a mouse.

Never got over that squishy feeling under my wheel the poor thing. 😳

MoreCashThanDash

Great video!

Lots of near misses with squirrels recently while commuting. They have adopted a rapid zig zag defence which is less effective than running straight out the way would be!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never got over that squishy feeling under my wheel the poor thing.

Hit a bird once on a clubrun, it flew out of the verge into my front wheel, then went between my shoe and the crank.

Horrible warm feeling.

acidtest
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon that’s pretty grose, did it go crunch too?

globalti
    Free Member

Once had a couple of quite large deer jump into the road in front of me and my buddy then panic trying to jump back again as the road was in a deep cutting. They made it after several attempts, bouncing back off the fence each time. We rode on through a cloud of dust and debris and were spitting deer bristles out for a couple of minutes afterwards.

spectraken
    Free Member

If only this had been Red 20……..Deerstalker! Sorry 😛

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Had a badger run between my wheels on a night ride, it was like hitting a log. Somehow avoided OTB!

anagallis_arvensis

Saw a muntjac get caught between a wall and some riders on a night ride once. It bounced around a bit then jumped up and nutted one of the riders. He needed stitches.
    Saw a fallow deer run out into a club run once too. Hit a rider full on, amazingly he stayed up but it buckled both his wheels.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate got hospitalised by a badger once whilst going downhill on his road bike – was the wrong side of 30mph when it happened.

Another mate got a lovely black eye and some facial road rash after an impact with a fluffy wuffy ickle rabbit. Also wrecked one of his shifters. He’s now the only vegetarian wildlife trust supporter I know with a psychological hatred of rabbits 😆

stayhigh

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFIX0oPTso[/video]

How has this not been posted already?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

A large wasp flew into my right cheek today if that counts?

acidtest
    Free Member

woah that antelope video is nuts!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Almost had Deer for Dinner (video and Swinley content)’ is closed to new replies.