Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alloy wheels for my van, is cheap bad??
  • Mugboo

I like these wheels and can buy a set new for around £300, so my question is, is there a big difference quality wise between cheap alloys and expensive ones??

Anbody ever heard of any wheels failing?

I have considered the load rating and am happy to put these on with some Nankang XL tyres

http://www.lkperformancestyling.co.uk/alloywheels-info/bkracingalloywheels/p5/bk-racing-bk299-anthracite-set-of-4-wheels-17-inch-anthracite.html

boxelder

Have a check here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94

What is the van?

oxnop
    Free Member

BK are not a bad brand- all manufacturers have to achieve a certain safety rating with their road legal wheels.

You'll be fine with these but the VW fanboys won't be happy as they are not OE equipment!

luke
    Free Member

You've considered the load rateing you say, what tyres are you running at the moment? at a guess there 205 65 16 like i say this is a guess just going by what your wanting to fit, if so the load rateing for the tyres at the moment will be either 102/100 or a 107/105 or possiable your on 195 65 16's which would have 100/98 or a 104/102 load rateing making the Nankang's at 84 being unsuitable and reason to fail an mot.
    But like I say without knowing of what your running at the moment, a definative answer cannot be given, then theres also the consideration of will the increase in tyre/rim size have an effect on the speedo readings.

Simon

What's the new van Jase, T4? The little Ford would look a bit strange with 17" wheels 😆

forge197
    Free Member

What is the load rating of the wheel itself?

Mugboo

Si, bought a T4, got a good offer for the Connect so got my arse inta gear.. Love it, let the Blinging begin!!

The wheels are 690 per corner giving an overall 2760. The nankang XL are 98V giving 3000.

The van is roughly 1600kg and i'm only adding 2 rear seats and some insulation, etc. So the most it will carry is 4 adults, 4 bikes and a slightly overweight border collie…

As for looks i think the wheels echo the looks of old BBS wheels with a modern twist. Gonna get 17's as i'm more interested in the ride than the looks. Same with lowering, 40mm will do.

Question is which springs? Quality Eibach or the medium weight spring and B4 Bilstein kit from T4Rus..

forge197
    Free Member

Load's not issue, what colour is the van, they are a nice looking wheel and in that colour won't show the brake dust so much.

Mugboo

Cheers Forge, van is silver and complety standard at the mo. Thought i'd add wheels then lower while looking out for some minibus seats (built in belts)plus Unwin rails.

After that its side windows and a splash of colour coding with insulation and some carpet over the paneling.

forge197
    Free Member

That will look nice that Mugboo. Don't forget to post pictures when it's all done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alloy wheels for my van, is cheap bad??’ is closed to new replies.