Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • alloy wheel powder coating – costs and recommendations (bristol)
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Is about £320 pretty standard for a powder coat for 4 wheels, plus plastic center caps? feels pretty steep 🙁

Any recommendations for companies in Bristol?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is that just powered coating? Not restoring at all?

I paid about 20 a wheel, but it’s just a generic powder coater who will do them when he gets a batch of what ever colour together, so it can take a few weeks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted £80 a wheel for my 17″ SMax wheels that are painted, diamond cut on the face of the wheel and lacquered, so £320 probably in the ball park depending upon wheel size. About 10 years ago I paid about £60 a wheel for 14″ wheels so depends on price rises over the past 10 years or so since I got mine done and the wheel size – reasonable to assume bigger wheels will be more expensive.

Edric64
    Free Member

I only paid £400 for my current car three years ago ,never mind over £300 to tart wheels up

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Bit of restoring fourbanger, plus I don’t have axle stands etc so helpful to have it set up for car wheels 🙁

Sounds like 300 is about right then

Edric – I don’t have to pay for my bike habit so I might as well spend my (limited) spare cash on a silly car…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In both cases my wheels needed some work to get rid of corrosion and came back as new -so not a cop out job of just tarting up the face like you get with one of those mobile places that are cheaper. I did pay about £20 a wheel on my old Porsche 944 wheels, but the price was reflected in the quality of the finish and how long it lasted.

TheDTs
    Free Member

There is a new place on St Andrews Road in Avonmouth, I had heard mixed reviews and I know they made a mess of a friends T5 wheels. This was when the had just opened up, so it could have been teething trouble.
    Not sure of cost.
    There is a great powder coater in Nailsea, if it’s just a coat you need.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I had my Lancia wheels fully refurbed by My Alloys down in St Phillips Marsh, excellent work. However, the Bristol branch has appeared to have closed 🙁

I’ve heard good things about Phoenix Enhancements in Brislington, but no experience.

£50 a wheel is your ball-park, which when compared to new wheels can save you a packet.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Spoke to the people in Avonmouth I think.

Price for powder coat seem to be around 60 + vat. I was thinking 50 quid a wheel but when you add a tenner and then vat it adds a chunk!

twisty

I paid £280 for full restoration of 4x 18″ alloys including straightening one of them.

The key thing is to rock up with wheels off the car and a wedge of cash.

agent007
    Free Member

Whatever you do get them to blank off the mating faces of the wheels before they powder coat, otherwise you could
    be running the risk of a warped set of brake discs once the wheels are refitted.

jamj1974

Seems expensive to me. I have only spent £40 per wheel when I last had some repaired and sprayed. I live in Brum where there is a lot of competition for this though.

jimbobo
    Free Member

I was quoted £360 in Leeds for shot blast and powder coat. It’s cheaper to buy a set of second hand wheels, pick the best ones and then sell a curbed up set with decent tyres for £150!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

I have recently used this chap:

DMD Alloy Wheel Refurb Bristol

Can’t recommend highly enough. Nice guy, been doing it from the same location for 16 years, £200+VAT for a set of four 18’s.

It is a wet paint and not a powder coat – but not an issue for me.

HTH.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘alloy wheel powder coating – costs and recommendations (bristol)’ is closed to new replies.