• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Alloy jockey wheels
  • swoosh
    Free Member

The jockey wheels on my bike are worn out so I decided to get some new ones. I decided to get a pair of anodised alloy ones as they were much cheaper than a pair of SRAM ones. Now they’ve arrived I’m a bit worried about them being noisy or wearing the chain quicker than regular plastic ones.

Anyone used any alloy ones before and what are the effects of doing so?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I fitted some recently to my MTB, so far so good. Obviously no noticeable difference in the ride or performance, but nice for the bling factor. I’m not expecting them to last particularly long, they’re aluminium and the chain is steel, so it’s obvious which component is going to win out. I thought i’d give them a go, they were not that much more than the original SRAM ones so worth a try. I see no reason why they shouldn’t last as long as plastic ones.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

they’ll be fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Murray

Bearings tend to be rubbish on cheap alloys.

burko73

Aren’t there no bearings on most jockey wheels?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Watch out for the bearings. They failed on mine on a run at Lee Quarry, jamming up the chain and ripping my rear mech clean off the bike – mech disintegrated and i never found any of the bits! Long walk back home with no chain or mech, i’ll stick to the manufacturers versions from now on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I remember when alloy jockey wheels where popular last time around. They didn’t grip the market at the time because they lacked float.

Is that still the case?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

I remember when alloy jockey wheels where popular last time around. They didn’t grip the market at the time because they lacked float.

Is that still the case?

Only from a marketing perspective. Float is snake oil in my opinion. Never seen any benefit from floating jockeys and only seen the down side in expensive original brand plastic jockeys that wear fast, clog up with mud and bearings seize easily.

CNC’d jockeys for me, especially vented ones (sheds mud). Shifting performance identical as far as I can tell.

That said I go for ceramic bearings in them. A little more pricey but outlast the jockey itself.

Just don’t go for crap ones. I’ve used KCNC (pricey) or Uberbike (half the price), and both pretty good.

Northwind

I had some Hope ones. Shite tbh. Ended up just getting Saint ones, because they were cheap from halfords and fitted my mech.

burko73 – Member

Aren’t there no bearings on most jockey wheels?

Cheaper mechs tend to be bushings, better mechs generally bearings.

dyna-ti

The chain is steel and the jockey wheels, alloy.

Its about the look though isnt it 😀

swoosh
    Free Member
    benpinnick

Hate to say it but judging by those bearings would give them a minimal lifespan. Customer came in with shiftig issues the other day – was siezed bearings on an alloy jockey after a few rides.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I say, don’t go for cheap crap. Those ones, I’d say… good luck with that 😉

Phil_H

The bearings on the ones I had jammed up half way through lap 5 of this years Puffer leading to a destroyed mech and a long walk.
    I’ll stick to shimanos own next time I need new jockey wheels.

DanW
    Free Member

Very happy with KCNC and Aerozine Ceramic ones here. Lighter, blingier, last forever, clear mud better than normal jockeys, spot on shifting (XTR and xx1)… Nothing to not like on those two

nickc

there’s no benefit other than they look nice

onandon
    Free Member

^ to some, that’s all that matters.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Looking at the price of some of the alloy jockey wheels, absolute black £40 on tredzs.. I’d rather just pay the extra and buy a new mech..

swoosh
    Free Member

Goldigger – Member
    Looking at the price of some of the alloy jockey wheels, absolute black £40 on tredzs.. I’d rather just pay the extra and buy a new mech..

I think that’s a fair point. A half decent rear mech can be had for £50 these days so why spend £40 on just the jockey wheels? Doesn’t really make sense does it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

swoosh – Member
    I think that’s a fair point. A half decent rear mech can be had for £50 these days so why spend £40 on just the jockey wheels? Doesn’t really make sense does it.

Except in 11 speed world. X01 11 speed mech is still £150ish. There is budget stuff like NX but it’s budget quality and weight and wouldn’t see much point in bling jockeys on them. That said I still stand by *decent* alloy jockeys being more durable and far better at shedding mud. Still trying to clean out the mud from SRAM branded jockeys after getting rest of the bike sparkling clean. Only option seems to be to take the jockeys out to clean them after each ride!

andyl
    Free Member

Bought some alloy ones from Toronto cycles many years ago for my XT mech.

Mud wise definitely better. They have lasted better than I thought aluminium alloy would on a steel chain in mud and grit but have got a definite groove on one side – possibly my fault for not indexing them quite right or having the high end stop slightly too cautious.

The bearings are still free and have not given me much hassle but they are very notchy and rough. They are open cartridge bearings which makes it easy to clean and re-grease but if you forget to then they can fill up with muck quite easy. Probably my fault there for not taking better care of them.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Having seen too many seized/broken alloy jockey wheels, I’d never bother with them. Pointless when basic nylon ones work just as well. Something with tiny, very delicate ball bearings really isn’t a very good idea on a component that’s going to get covered in all sorts of filth.

Goldigger
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    swoosh – Member
    Except in 11 speed world. X01 11 speed mech is still £150ish. There is budget stuff like NX but it’s budget quality and weight and wouldn’t see much point in bling jockeys on them. That said I still stand by *decent* alloy jockeys being more durable and far better at shedding mud. Still trying to clean out the mud from SRAM branded jockeys after getting rest of the bike sparkling clean. Only option seems to be to take the jockeys out to clean them after each ride!

Have you tried squirting some jizz all over the jockey wheels then just rinse any jizz and residue off with a hose??

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m wary about jizzing on my jockeys 😀

twisty

Yeah alloy jockey wheels are loud, it is less noticeable when riding vs inspecting your drivechain.
    BBB ceramic are my go to jockeys now, £15, quiet, easy to clean, and with the balls being ceramic rust should be less of an issue.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Got some cheap eBay ones, shielded bearings dumped the grease after one ride and the lower one’s centre hole ovalised to the point I couldn’t shift down. Got some Hopes and they seem to be better. We’ll see, but false economy is springing to mind as I read this post.

swoosh
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim – Member
    Got some cheap eBay ones, shielded bearings dumped the grease after one ride and the lower one’s centre hole ovalised to the point I couldn’t shift down. Got some Hopes and they seem to be better. We’ll see, but false economy is springing to mind as I read this post.

I’m wondering about false economy now too!!

Which jockey wheels for a ’09 Sram X0 9sp rear mech then? They don’t have to be alloy, just not super expensive.

asbrooks

I have the cheep ones too. Before fitting I remove the seal and pack em with water proof grease. Have been running them for a year, I have no problems at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

WHat part of your bike do you prefer to jizz on then ?

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve had a bad experience with cheap aftermarket jockey wheels. I always go for the Shimano XT ones with the bushing / bearing combo, they’re only £12 or something like that and they don’t fail and rip your mech off.

cokie

Quick question on Sram 11spd replacement jockey wheels- seems that they are 12t, versus the 11t that all Alloy ones seem to come in.

Can you use 11t in place of the 12t, or does it effect shifting?

DanW
    Free Member

Quick question on Sram 11spd replacement jockey wheels- seems that they are 12t, versus the 11t that all Alloy ones seem to come in.

Can you use 11t in place of the 12t, or does it effect shifting?

Maybe on the upper but less so on the lower??? No idea, but went with KCNC 12t to be safe (not many high quality alloy 12t options out there)

cokie

Thanks Dan- didn’t spot the KCNC 12t ones. Will go for these.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Alloy jockey wheels’ is closed to new replies.