Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • alloy is dead (apparently) – carbon is the only way forward!
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

…according to a very opinionative cycle shop i went in to on saturday.

alloy has been the material for the last 20 odd years and is now completely pointless as carbon does everything better.

also, apparently, having a sub £3k budget simply isn’t enough to get a worthwhile build.

(special points to whoever can guess which cycle shop i was in… here’s a hint… i’m based on the s.coast near bournemouth/poole)

… i can’t wait for my ALLOY Turner Flux to arrive now! 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

They may have a point.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

^^^ http://www.primera-sports.com/ would be my guess.

Whoever they are sound like a money grabbing biased machine anyway.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think you mean alu / ally. alloy is a different matter altogether

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I really dont know, I just cant trust carbon, I am an engineer by trade and hence a logical person i KNOW carbon is stronger than alloy and lighter but when you pick it up somthing in my brain just says

how can somthing sooo light be strong and not fragile!

chakaping
    Free Member

I like carbon, but I’d hardly say that aluminium was “dead” when it’s still about the half the price for an equivalent frame.

binners

enduro-aid – I’m with you on this one. I can see the appeal of carbon, however I am

a) Hardly petite (Some might even say a bit … ahem… ‘bulky’)
    b) As Clumsy as ****. Watching me ride is like finding yourself in a Norman Wisdom film
    c) Not rich

I just wouldn’t trust it. And I’m not shelling out that type of money for something I’d be constantly worrying about breaking

5thElefant
    Free Member

They’re right.

In fact after the best part of 10 years on carbon bikes, carbon is feeling very retro. We need something lighter and altogether more exotic…

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m not saying that i don’t agree with their comments (other than the bit about needing £3k+), but i was just interested to hear the general consensus… they are probably right in a way, just in the same way that not so long ago, we were probably saying the same thing about ali frames when compared with steel, and now fast forward 15 or so years, steel is regarded as a ‘niche’ material at the upper end of the spectrum.

maybe i should cancel my Flux order and get a carbon yeti!

toys19
    Free Member

enduro aid, binners you two sound like the old guys I know complaining about how aluminium alloys are crap compared to steel..

binners

Something more exotic? Maybe a frame made from the crystallized tears of angels?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

meh

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know it is stronger but if it does get damaged [rock strike is my major concern] you cannot tell. At least with a ding or crack on ally you can make an informed decision about whether to ride or not without an x ray.
    I would probably crack mine banging it against the wal on the way to the car
    3k is a afair amount have they never heard of Boardman bikes , on one , planet X etc

enduro-aid
    Free Member

it is somthing that im going to look at and see because with bike brands now offering DH options made from carbon (GT and Santacruz)

they must be strong enough to survive some clumsy riding

and with on one now offering a carbon 456 frame for 400 quid its not that expensive now

binners

toys19 – there’s nothing rational or logical about this. Quite the opposite.

I just associate carbon with race-whippets and being fine for someone lighter. I’ve snapped an alloy frame in half before now (told you I was clumsy) and I reckon I’d be constantly worrying about doing do the same to a carbon one.

However, if someone wants to let me try one out I may revise my opinion 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’ve riden carbon road bikes for a good few years now but for some reason i still dont trust it on a mtb… purely psychological.

mrblobby
    Free Member

After years of using carbon bars and seat posts without any problems I wouldn’t have any concern about it breaking. Cost would still put me off though, unless you’re a racer then I don’t think the small weight saving and increased stiffness is worth the extra few hundred quid. Unless of course you have a big sack of disposable income and a bike p0rn fetish.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What if they made a carbon Orange 5. I reckon you’d hear it coming from several miles away.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt that carbon is stronger – my last 2 bikes were part carbon and the next one too

I’ve never had any issues at all with the material but the bonding of other bits drop-outs etc. failed on my last one [Yeti] and another on a mates bike [Giant, IIRC] also had a bonding failure of an attached part

sobriety
    Free Member

What if they made a carbon Orange 5. I reckon you’d hear it coming from several miles away.

They’d need to make carbon filing cabinets first 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

So true.

I was riding my carbon 456 at Epping last weekend and there’s a particularly fast rooty descent that made it sound like somebody had thrown a filing cabinet down some stairs.

I used to be a bit fussy about having a quiet bike, but this one is so much fun that I don’t care any more.

Garry_Lager

After years of using carbon bars and seat posts without any problems I wouldn’t have any concern about it breaking. Cost would still put me off though, unless you’re a racer then I don’t think the small weight saving and increased stiffness is worth the extra few hundred quid. Unless of course you have a big sack of disposable income and a bike p0rn fetish.

True that. For trail (not race) bikes you’re often looking at a couple 100g difference in frame weight – wouldn’t even notice it. The stiffness might be more noticeable I guess, not sure, never ridden a carbon trail bike in anger.
    Longevity must be something else to consider though. I’ve put a hairline crack in every Alu frame I’ve owned, eventually – what’s carbon like for fatiguing and cracking?

ahwiles
    Free Member

depends how it’s designed / built innit.

we could build carbon frames that would last a life-time, but they’d be heavier than frames designed to last a few years and still be more or less as expensive. (cost of design + tooling + labour)

people associate high price with high performance, and rightly or wrongly expect an expensive frame to be light/fast.

carbon bikes are usually sold on their percieved performance benefits, rather than their percieved durability benefits.

don’t expect light / fast carbon frames to last for years and years and years, they’ve been over-built if they do.

njee20
    Free Member

I know it is stronger but if it does get damaged [rock strike is my major concern] you cannot tell. At least with a ding or crack on ally you can make an informed decision about whether to ride or not without an x ray

It’s just not that clear cut though. Carbon frames can show cracks, alu can fail without warning. Carbon all the way.

mt
    Free Member

The frame materials of the future will be recyclable and not wasteful throw away stuff. Longevity and/or repairable should be a consideration of future frames.

campfreddie
    Free Member

“The frame materials of the future will be recyclable and not wasteful throw away stuff.”

well that’s a tick in favour of ali frames then surely.

ahwiles
    Free Member

and steel…

binners

and cardboard

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bamboo

clubber
    Free Member

Carbon fibre recycling

Trek and MIT-RCF didn’t go into more precise detail on how the reclaimed carbon fiber would be used but other carbon fiber recycling research programs have shown a wide range of possibilities. While the chopped-up materials won’t offer the same high stiffness and strength benefits of de novo long-fiber materials, the resultant bits can still be used to reinforce other polymer-based parts and ground-up bits can also be used as fillers in automotive tires or industrial building materials like asphalt.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-start-carbon-fiber-recycling-program-29993/

binners

Just out of interest: what is the list price on the cheapest carbon full-suss frame? Anyone know?

I suspect this is the point that will make the whole discussion somewhat academic to most people

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I don’t see why a carbon bike can’t be built to last but whether that goes against what we expect from carbon (light weight) I don’t know.
    I have use carbon parts for years with out problems, although did get panicy (probably stupidly) about little marks on the bars.
    For most it’s probably in the mind, if you trust carbon or aluminum.I certainly fall into the trust aluminum ‘camp’ and happier just to go with it, although probably defies logic.
    As for frames I have no experience, although I did over hear a very experienced rider express regret at having a carbon full sus (from a well respected carbon bike manufacture) as the pivot points kept ‘yawning’ and the frame already been back. His words of advice, ” a big mistake, don’t do it, if you want a bike to last more than a season”

Vortexracing

One reason for using Carbon is that it is ‘stiffer’ not necessarily stronger.

It also allows you to tailor the properties you want in the direction you want.

and BTW failure of Carbon can fail without warning just like ally. has very little post yield

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s just not that clear cut though. Carbon frames can show cracks, alu can fail without warning. Carbon all the way.

You sure ?

Pound for pound, carbon fiber is stronger that steel or aluminum. But it behaves differently when it is overloaded in an accident or impact. An overloaded metal part will bend or deform before it breaks, showing evidence of the load (Figure 1). An overloaded carbon fiber part will not bend or deform, so a damaged carbon part (with reduced strength due to the damage) may look normal?even after the same load that bent the metal part. But when the sum of the forces finally exceeds the strength limit of the carbon fiber, the carbon fiber part breaks, it does not bend (Figure 2).

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/om/hybrid/carbon_fiber.html

both fail without warning but with ione you can tell when it has exceeded load and been damged with your own eyes

mlke
    Free Member

Slight aside – does carbon fibre rot in UV light the way a lot of plastics become brittle in sunlight?

poppa
    Free Member

Carbon is essential. Being an overweight IT consultant, I need all the help I can get on the hills. I wouldn’t consider spending less than 3k on a bike either. I just don’t think I could have any fun on it otherwise.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I think Carbon Fibre is pretty swell, but I trust aluminium stuff more.

I owned a Carbon Hardtail for 2 months before it developed a 3″ long, bloody great crack in the bottom of the down tube! Some sort of stress related thing – never crashed.

I don’t bother with Carbon bars anymore as the weight saving is usually about 20g and every time I ‘torqued’ them correctly the damn things would spin lose on descents .. that’s a heart-in-mouth moment on a rock-stewn DH !

D0NK

Just out of interest: what is the list price on the cheapest carbon full-suss frame?

Dunno but I did notice something the other day, I thought cBLTs were wayyy pricey at £2400, but RM altitudes are £3150rrp according to CRC.
    ouch!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Longevity must be something else to consider though. I’ve put a hairline crack in every Alu frame I’ve owned, eventually – what’s carbon like for fatiguing and cracking?

Partly why I reckon frames under the 1k mark are the way forwards. For AM stuff like the nukeproof mega (if it ever arrives), for trail frames like the Canyon Nerve XC. And any number of hardtail frames (on-one’s, ragleys, etc.)

I’d feel happier throwing one of these down a mountain than a two and a half grand frame, regardless of the material it was made of, as it’s almost at a disposable price point.

If I brought a frame for a grand and got three years use form it then I’d be happy. At which point I’d probably want something new anyway and standards/technologies would probably have moved on too.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m amazed The Oracle hasn’t put everyone in their place on this thread yet..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘alloy is dead (apparently) – carbon is the only way forward!’ is closed to new replies.