Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alloy freehub bodies
  • PJay
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that alloy freehub bodies (as on Hope Pro 2 hubs) will get mashed by cheaper cassettes that don’t include alloy carriers?

CRC’s custom Hope Pro 2 wheel builder is offering me a variety of cassettes from the basis Deore up, and I want to make sure that I get something appropriate.

vincienup
    Free Member

They’ll get mashed by any cassette tbh, but steel unspidered designs will do it quicker and more aggressively.

XT level cassettes are fine.

One steel freehub is going to cost around two discounted 10sp xt cassettes.

Potdog
    Free Member

If you’re looking at 26″ I have a pair of Tech Enduro wheels, brand new on the classifieds. Could save you a fair bit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

vincienup – Member
    They’ll get mashed by any cassette tbh, but steel unspidered designs will do it quicker and more aggressively.

^^^ This.

Does depend also on the alloy though. Some will be tougher than others.

Couple of examples on my bikes, Crank Brothers – swiss cheese and eaten fast. DT Swiss – much tougher. Both I’ve run with steel as that’s all I had at the time. Running both now with alloy spider cassettes though (and the CB hub flanges get mashed by SRAM cassette screw heads, so it demands nothing less than XT really).

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Hope freehubs are made of cheese two. Novatec hubs are not bad either. Two chain whips is how i deal with cassette removal if the freehub gets a bit mashed. Then file the burrs down and fit the new cassette. Its not a problem.

coatesy
    Free Member

Another alternative with Hope hubs is to spec them with a steel freehub body, if you aren’t worried by the weight of a steel cassette, why go for the lightweight freehub?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alloy freehub bodies’ is closed to new replies.