Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • alloy bar – wear advice please – nail varnish here or something else? ergon grip
  • smiff
    Free Member

hi i’ve got this bar with wear rings half around each side where the inside of my Ergon grips has rubbed grit etc (btw bad grip design imho, no lock on the inside, but anyway not much i can do about that).

Not deep, can just barely feel!

What’s the best thing to put on this to stop it getting any deeper.. clear nail varnish? want to use same grips again..

Not sure if nail varnish is “safe” to use on 7075 alloy or there’s something better i might have around. don’t think tape will fit inside grip.

Cheers!

sorry for s**t pic can’t find my camera, it’s the line at the bottom i’m concerned about.

smiff
    Free Member

no one wants to touch this?
    i thought this is just the kind of thing STW likes.. almost a “here’s my crack” thread but with a slight twist and chance of serious injury 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So your bars are scratched under the grips?

smiff
    Free Member

correctomundo. it’s the ergons what did it. 🙁 do very much like the grips otherwise, they cured a slight nerve problem.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

could you not wrap a little electric tape over the scratch, then use hairspray/paint to stop the grip moving?

smiff
    Free Member

maybe, don’t think insulating tape would last though.
    like the idea of stopping the grip moving too, thing is, unlike normal grips, the ergons have an inner tube that’s quite hard and loose.
    guess i could paint the whole area in varnish and tighten it up that way.. hrm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is this a cosmetic issue or a functional one?

smiff
    Free Member

cosmetic now (i think), could become functional if it carries on wearing. it’s the functional part that bothers me, you can’t even see this when installed.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The tape was to stop the grit getting in, the spray would hold the grip.

smiff
    Free Member

hadn’t thought of trying to seal it.. hmm yeah maybe. probably moves too much though.

don’t people paint nail varnish on fork stanchions? just remembered where i got idea from. so guess it’s alloy safe then, and slippery.

smiff
    Free Member

went with original idea, nail varnish.. seems like magic stuff, makes pits disappear 🙂
    will take grips off in a month or so and see what’s going on.. if nothing, great, if worse, new bar time with maybe something tied around inside edge.

ergon grip owners, if you haven’t taken grips off in ages might be a good idea to check.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘alloy bar – wear advice please – nail varnish here or something else? ergon grip’ is closed to new replies.