Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Allergic to washing up (gloves)
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I actually quite enjoy washing up, but my Marigolds have suddenly made my wrists go all blistery and itchy.

Anyone else had this? How have you dealt with it? Any recommendations for special gloves?

andyl
    Free Member

how fresh are the gloves?

more to the point, you wear marigolds washing up? Just use your bare hands.

wwaswas

do they have latex in?

My wife has a latex allergy and has to be quite careful about stuff like that.

andyl
    Free Member

good point on the latex. Look for some nitriles ones if it turns out they do. Would be a good idea to check you don’t have a latex allergy.

titusrider
    Free Member

you know skin is waterproof, right?

stumpy01

Yeah – probably a latex allergy. You can buy cotton liners if need be (I have had to wear latex/nitrile gloves as PPE in previous jobs).

You can also try nitrile as mentioned above. You can buy nitrile gloves from somewhere like Screwfix or a motor factors I would have thought and use these as a liner….

chakaping
    Free Member

how fresh are the gloves?

Not at all fresh, I make ’em last ages.

you know skin is waterproof, right?

I like it scalding hot, to do a proper job.

latex allergy

This is what I was thinking.

buy nitrile gloves from somewhere like Screwfix or a motor factors I would have thought and use these as a liner.

Great idea. Been using cotton gloves as liners but they’re a bit clumsy.

Cheers for that.

jonba
    Free Member

Just checked, marigold washing up gloves are latex based which surprised me. We use there industrial gloves in various forms at work and they are all nitrile. Maybe use some industrial marigolds instead? You can probably get them from diy places or amazon. Check they don’t contain latex. Better than double gloving.

andyl
    Free Member

Do you clean them out? Check for cheesy smells inside!

If it does turn out to be a latex allergy then you can get nitrile marigold style gloves: http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1513300/29708/Ansell+Classic+Sol-vex+37-675+Green+Gauntlet

Make sure you declare it in any hospital visits too. Most white gloves (doctors, mechanics etc) are latex. Purple, blue etc generally latex, as are balloons. One of my old dance partners was seriously allergic to latex so I had to make sure I hadn’t used latex gloves. She was a doctor too.

Cougar

Not at all fresh, I make ’em last ages.

Radical I know but, try some new ones?

scotroutes

I find the plates have cooled down enough to handle them without gloves when they come out of the dishwasher.

hels
    Free Member

I get a reaction from gloves sometimes, usually if the water is excessively hot so my hands start sweating inside them. But dude, but some new ones first…

project
    Free Member

Latex intolerance or sensitivity can be quite serious and result in excemea, quite a few nurses get it and make claims off the NHS, for industrial disease.

peajay

I’m a marigold man, I find the fairy knocks the shit out of my skin and makes my knuckles crack open, gets nippy!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Allergic to washing up (gloves)’ is closed to new replies.