Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Allergic reaction to Garmin – wiggle return?
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Well that was a present that’s may end up costing me….

Bought a Garmin 235 for SWMBO and she has started getting an allergic reaction to it, her wrist has started to go red and itch and after a week it is getting painful.

So we’ve initiated a Wiggle return case…. the worse thing is she hasn’t got all the packaging…. I’m good and keep all of mine (though I can’t find my 230 box anywhere to pinch the missing bit)…. or is Wiggle a bit lenient with packaging… especially when it comes to an allergic reaction and not just “I don’t like the colour”

Does it look like I’m going to be £200 out of pocket? 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

Will they want it back when there is no fault, it has been used for a week and the packaging isn’t intact?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could try asking them, or Garmin, directly.

Radical, I know, but it might just work….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The wrist strap or the watch itself?

Take photos, ask Garmin directly – they’re are a great bunch to deal with.

qwerty
    Free Member

Its common for people to be allergic to the nickel in the electro plating process, has it been plated?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

You could try asking them, or Garmin, directly.

Radical, I know, but it might just work….

Crazy talk like that will get you thrown off this place….

Contacted them but closed for the night….

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Its common for people to be allergic to the nickel in the electro plating process, has it been plated?

I think it might be the silicon used, but she doesn’t have the issue with a fitbit.

jam-bo

I got a slight rash when I first used my 235 but swapped to the other wrist for a bit and it went away and didn’t return. I don’t wear it too tight for everyday use and frequently swap wrists.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I got a slight rash when I first used my 235 but swapped to the other wrist for a bit and it went away and didn’t return. I don’t wear it too tight for everyday use and frequently swap wrists.

Ok thanks for the info, if the refund is denied she will be made to wear it…

scotroutes

Are alternative straps available?

From Wiggles point of view, it’s going to he hard to resell it without the packaging and, as it’s not faulty, it’s not like they can warranty it with Garmin.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

From Wiggles point of view, it’s going to he hard to resell it without the packaging and, as it’s not faulty, it’s not like they can warranty it with Garmin.

they will just pop it in the eBay shop

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tri-Sport-Resort

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d keep it, and try and aftermarket strap.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

She could where it round her neck like a pedant?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Will see what they come back with, dropped them a message before I return it, I might be able to find my 230 box in the meantime and pinch the missing bit off that, I suspect she has thrown that out as well…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

She could where it round her neck like a pedant?

I feel like putting it around her neck, not sure I’m cut out to be a single dad.

plyphon
    Free Member

Put it on a NATO strap and that’ll stop the watch itself from contacting the skin, just incase it is the watch plating.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its not like its worth zero, even if they refuse the refund, you’ll still get 80-90% of what you paid on eBay

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bravo, David, bravo!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Put it on a NATO strap and that’ll stop the watch itself from contacting the skin, just incase it is the watch plating.

The HRM wouldn’t work then.

Yea eBay would be the next option, CEX offer is pants.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The metal is described as hypoallergenic by Garmin, so if it’s that which is at fault, the case is closed. If it’s a reaction to the strap, that’s trickier.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the info, if the refund is denied she will be made to wear it…

Cue anaphylactic shock lol

dmorts

I’ve got a Garmin VivoSmart HR+ and did get a patch of sore red skin under the strap. The solution was to stop wearing it until this healed up. I’ve been wearing the watch everyday since but have found a few things:

– Not having the strap too tight
    – Not worn it all the time, i.e not to bed
    – Taken the watch off and let it and my skin dry out if wet/sweaty
    – Rinse the watch now and then and let it dry
    – I found that the strap itself was ok and it was the rubber retainer loop that was more irritant. This was on the edge of my arm so moved it in board a bit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You really should be able to tell if it’s the strap or the watch itself…my experience with the odd bout of contact dermatitis is that it is very localised.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Cue anaphylactic shock lol

She’s a pharmacist should be fairly close to the right meds….

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin VivoSmart HR+ and did get a patch of sore red skin under the strap. The solution was to stop wearing it until this healed up. I’ve been wearing the watch everyday since but have found a few things:

– Not having the strap too tight
    – Not worn it all the time, i.e not to bed
    – Taken the watch off and let it and my skin dry out if wet/sweaty
    – Rinse the watch now and then and let it dry
    – I found that the strap itself was ok and it was the rubber retainer loop that was more irritant. This was on the edge of my arm so moved it in board a bit.

Thanks will have a chat to her about it, IMHO it looked too tight to me….but I wouldn’t be right.

She would like to keep it so might be will to try out the ideas..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

She’s a pharmacist should be fairly close to the right meds….

😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My 235 brings me out in a rash, I’ve found that if I remove it as soon as I’ve finished my run and showered, and don’t put it back on until it’s dry, then it’s a lot better, I also wear it loose if I wear it during the day and then tighten it a notch before I run to get a better HR trace when running (I still suspect the HR is just made up most of the time though!)

jimbobo
    Free Member

I was allergic to my garmin strap and actually got a pressure sore from it as well! New strap helps!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Email from wiggle tonight (hows that for service!), won’t take it back…. so look she is going to wear it only when she works out….never then…. will see how she gets on when the rash goes down.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Allergic reaction to Garmin – wiggle return?’ is closed to new replies.