Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Allenheads to Weardale and back round to Rookhope on MTB
  • mtbcowboy
    Free Member

I am wondering if there are any ways of extending and improving the ride from the allenheads area to Rookhope. Currently when I do a loop over there from Edmundbyers I ride from Allenheads to Rookhope on the road which is naff.

Does anyone know if there are any decent or reasonable mtb routes from Allenheads over to Killhope/Cowshill then round to Rookhope?

butcher

Depends exactly what your current route is. I’m making the assumption that you go over the top of Bolt’s Law from Edmundbyers to Rookhope? There is an ‘off-road’ track runs through the old lead mine past Rookhope, and comes out at the ruined cottage just before the descent into Allenheads. It’s fireroad type stuff, so nothing majorly exciting, but it’s quite pretty!

Then the obvious thing to do would be to cut across Hexamshire Common, either before or after Allenheads and head towards Slaley Forest, and take the Byway back into Blanchland. Either take the scenic route around the reservoir, or climb back up to near Bolt’s Law and take the fun off-road route back into Edmundbyers.

That’s a fairly decent ride out, almost all off-road, and there’s a few routes to explore around Hexamshire common.

Not sure about heading over to Killhope. Would be interested myself if there’s any hidden gems.

sheeps

The route from Allenheads to Killhope is bridleway north of the county border, and a footpath south it. Used to ride it south to north years ago, but forestry work in Durham, and resurfacing for shooting in Northumberland have somewhat ruined it. There’s pretty much nothing else across that moor unfortunately.

sheeps

Head of Weardale is largely a bridleway desert, and there’s very few cheeky routes/hidden gems unless you know the landowners (and a lot of the moorland is under the control of the shooting fraternity)

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

My route is Edmundbyers to Blanchland on the bridleway then up on too Bulbeck common,then to kings law, then over hexamshire common to Allenheads, then back towards Rookhope but turning right up the road then riding to the top of bolts law and then blast back to Edmunbyers.

I was hoping to extend the route by going over to Weardale but it looks like the options aren’t that great.

neilthewheel

There’s a long track that runs down through the old mine workings in Rookhope Burn. Every time I ride up the road on the road bike I think I must have a go down it on the mountain bike. It’s not officially a right of way but it doesn’t say it isn’t either!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rookhope Burn track looks worth a shot to me

I’ve wondered about the track/path up the north side of the valley at Groove Rake then down the old chimney track to Rookhope.
    I wouldn’t bother going cheeky over the moors though, too many gamekeepers with guns, and rich landowners who don’t like their precious birds being disturbed.

ooh look:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rookhope-chimney-track-rideable

Might be ok

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Allenheads to Weardale and back round to Rookhope on MTB’ is closed to new replies.