Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Allen bolts… can you get lockable versions?
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Just thinking about stuff getting nicked off the bike, etc. Also wrt new factory fitted roof rails on car.

You know how car alloys have one lockable wheel nut to prevent removal by pikeys and replacement with bricks?

Well, can you get a similar thing for standard sized allen bolts and keys used in biking that would prevent opportunist theft from the bike? If not is it a go-er or would the use of non-standard allen keys be too much of a PITA (i.e. stranded mid-ride with wrong set of allen keys) or would there be an issue of not being able to get enough torque?

Does someone make them already? If not should I get my patent in?
    “This time next year, Rodney, we’ll be millionaires” etc.

AlasdairMc

Screwfix do some under ‘security screws’ or similar.

richmars

Yes, have a little pin inside the hex part, but you can buy the bit that fits in the ‘security’ screw, so not very.

billytinkle
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key

…lots of different types that could be used – start googling.

fasthaggis

A friend used to put small bits of cable insulation (flush)inside the hexs.
    He always thought that,even though this would not stop them taking things if they were determined (or had a pin to pick them out with), it would maybe slow them down or make them move to another bike.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Torsion shear bolts. You’ll never get them out, so doubt they will.

XCMatt

Spoke to these guys at London Bike Show a few years back and they seem to be fully up and running now. Interesting take on securing bits and bobs, have had many components nicked of the bike over the years so am considering giving them a call. null

andrewh
    Free Member

Screwfix do some under ‘security screws’ or similar.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to get them out either.
    X-Lite did some QR skewers a while back with removable ‘handles’, wheel and seat ones. Any of them would fit any other but the chances of the ne’er do wells carrying the right bit at the right time are slim.

rocketman
    Free Member

…that would prevent opportunist theft from the bike?

Torx bolts?

tonyg2003
    zilog6128

Not got any myself but I always thought these were the industry standard: http://www.pitlock.com/

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The cheapest and most effective way by far is to import a fit young warrior from some impoverished country and pay him peanuts (or cigarettes/chewing gum/pens) to stand guard over your bike. Obviously whilst commuting he’ll have to run behind you, but you soon get used to the admiring glances from jealous others.

Edric64
    Free Member

Those hex bolts with the pin in are good I use them at work and many hardwear shops dont stock the tool to get them out .So it may stop the opportunist scrote thief with an allenkey set

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Ok- atomic22 looks like exactly what I envisioned. “Rodney, I won’t be a millionaire this time next year.” But I will save a lot of time and effort in R&D! 😉
    Will give them an email.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Use a normal Allen bolt and hammer a ball Bearing into the head. Job done!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Those x-lite anti theft qr are anything but secure

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Allen bolts… can you get lockable versions?’ is closed to new replies.