• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GDRS.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • All you Surrey Hills singlespeeders – what gear ratio works well?
  • slowboydickie

I don’t want to be too tough on myself straight out so thinking 32/20. What you running?

Cheers
    Rich

nickc

Will be pointless, start at either 34:16 or 32:16. The hills are really more about balance than absolute grunt.

Look at it this way, it you can o a climb in the middle ring (and whatever cog out the back) you can SS it. Plus those ratios will teach you more about determination 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

42:16

or 36:16 on the dirt 😉

timbur
    Free Member

26” wheel or 29” wheel.
    It makes a difference.
    32:20 for a 29er would be about right. For a 26er you need to swallow that man pill and start with a 18 at least :O)

All IMHO obviously.

mattjg
    Free Member

the ‘classic’:

32/16 on 26
    32/18 on 29

I’m a mid-paced (mid-aged) rider and can get up most local climbs. On the whole the long climbs aren’t steep and the steep climbs aren’t long.

I think you’d find 32/20 very spinny, esp on a 26er.

32/18:29 is a tad easier than 32/16:26.

mattjg
    Free Member

bloomin’ ‘ell when I started writing there were no replies, has the rain brought everyone in tonight?

timbur
    Free Member

Nope, you type slowly :O)

mattjg
    Free Member

Thoughtfully.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

32:20 for a 29er would be about right.

only if you’re really weak it is!

32:16 on 26, or 32:18 on a 29er, same ratio whether I’m at Swinley or the Yorkshire Moors.

gee
    Free Member

32:19 on my 29er SS. No problems getting up hills but it is a bit annoying if the ride contains any road sections. Still wouldn’t change though.

Cheezpleez

32:16 for me (26″ wheels). 33:20 would be shite

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m 42 and fat. I’ve not ridden a SS for nearly 2 years and yesterday I did 25k round the (Rather steeper than the Surrey Hills) Cotswolds on a 26in SS with 32:16 ratio with no problems at all.

That’s all you need. That’s the one.

(Or 32:18 on a 29er)

slowboydickie

Thanks for replies. It is for a 29er so might try a 32:18. While I’m on if I tried, say, 30:16 how do you compare the 2 ratios? Add them? Multiply them?

Keef
    Free Member

clicky

try here.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

26 inch wheels. 32:16 here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most people measure them in inches (some people use meters developed but that’s harder to calculate even if it’s easier to visualize). The number of inches is the equivalent penny farthing wheel size of that gear. Handily most people have a ~32″ inside leg so allowing for 7″ cranks ~50″ (32-7 * 2) wheels worked out quite a nice gear.

(chainring/sprocket) * wheel size

32/16 * 26 = 52
    32/18 * 29 = 51.5

It’s not exact because a 26″ wheel isn’t 26″ and 29er isn’t 29″, but it’s close enough.

Meters development is how far you’d travel for one revolution of the cranks, so multiply the above my pi and convert to meters.

stanleigh
    Free Member

A fair few of us rode todays Brass Monkeys at Ceaser’s Camp on 29er single speeds. Lot of climbing , 32:18 working well for most of us .

slowboydickie

32:18 it is. And thanks for the calculator.

ontor
    Free Member

there is only one gearing…

Moses

Pfft.
    32:20 works for me.
    Overweight, unfit, 59 and 3/4.

thelumberjack
    Free Member

36:17

Stanton Slackline

Lyrik

been running this for about a year all over the hills as well as in my second home of Swansea (standard trail centers, mucking about on secret local tracks, and the Beacons) as well as a highlands holiday – was initially on a 36:18 but spun out on the descents so the 17 rear makes things that little faster if the hills out of peaslake are a little more painful! That said I cleaned the greensands climb for the first time the other weekend so its definitely helping my fitness as I never even managed that geared!

mattjg
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. It is for a 29er so might try a 32:18. While I’m on if I tried, say, 30:16 how do you compare the 2 ratios?

Ratios aside, more teeth is better because the load is spread wider.

GDRS

Lots of man up advice……However, I am an advocate of manning down to start with……..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘All you Surrey Hills singlespeeders – what gear ratio works well?’ is closed to new replies.