Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • All you 1x riders, are 32t enough?
  • Mugboo

Before I make the leap, are 32t enough?

I’m currently 2×9 on both bikes (c456 & Mega) with 22/36 & 11/32.

I don’t like pushing if its rideable and my downhill style is more about trying to find some flow rather pedalling like an mad thing. Will I miss those extra 4 teeth on the way down?

mindmap3
    Free Member

May be a tad too small. I run a 34tooth chainring with an 11-36 tooth cassette and can make it up most stuff. Sometimes find its a bit too small for DH stuf, but generally it works for me.

banks
    Free Member

I’ve gone 33t. Not missed at all, usually going fast enough DH to not warrant any more pedaling

iridebikes
    Free Member

i use a 32 tooth and find its fine,but then i tend to ride tight techy tracks, rather than fast open stuff. I cant see it being an issue at all though, and think its worth it for the benifit on climbs

robsoctane
    Free Member

When I went 1×9 I went up by 2 to 34. I only run out of gears when on the road so it’s cool by me. That’s with 11-34 on the back. Personally I can’t wait till Hope release their 9-34 cassette though, I’ll never run out then.

Wether you’ll be fine with 32 on the front, I don’t know but I’m glad I changed up. See if you can borrow a front ring off someone before you purchase?

Good luck.

stevede
    Free Member

32t for me jason on the enduro and it’s fine on the downs, spin out on the road downhill at times but I don’t worry about that! The hope cassette/free hub body that was in proto would’ve been great at 9-36t but prob never gonna make production or if it does it’ll be silly money.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No, and yes. I would not do without granny on my big ride big day out bouncy bike. 34-11/32 is good for my HT on local rides where the longest single climbs are 300m vert. If I was descending roads and gravel double track I’d miss the 44. I don’t miss it. I think once you play with single speeding then 9 gears seems plenty.

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve just built my second 1x I’ve gone 36T up front and 11-36 at the rear, was tough today on some climbs on the Marin Trail my legs just didn’t have it at the end and a few times I had to stop get my heart rate and breathing sorted and crack on, as well as couple of cheeky pushes, I think though if I keep at it then it should improve my fitness, but I suspect some pain before gain 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

32T adequate on my 29er

Northwind

I expected 32T to be too small but as it turns out, I rather like it- it’s often a lower gear than I’d choose, but it’s relatively rare that it’s so low that I can’t get some power down with a faster spin… Which probably isn’t very efficient but does feel cool :mrgreen: And feeling cool keeps me pedalling, where being efficient but dull doesn’t.

I do run out of gears on tarmac pretty much instantly, but frankly I would struggle to be less fussed.

oxym0r0n

Yes and yes on 29′

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

32T with 11-34 on my 26″ SC Nomad

34T with 11-36 on my 29″ Cotic Solaris

Both used for trail riding, various locations.

Never felt i needed any more / less teeth.

kayak23

32t 12-36 on both my Mega and my Prince Albert.
    Spot on for most stuff, spin out on fireroads but meh….who needs to pedal down that….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

32t ok for me Jason.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m running a 36t ring 9 speed with an 11-34t cassette on a 160mm travel 34lb bike. I can get up everything nearby with a bit of effort but it’s by no means easy.

mboy
    Free Member

32 with an 11-36 cassette for me on my Hardtail, and for just about everything it’s enough. You do learn to spin a bit faster on long descents, or on the road, but offroad the gear range makes a lot of sense. Did try a 36 for a bit, which made more sense on the road, but not as much sense offroad IMO.

Mugboo

I’ve got both a 32t and 34t so maybe I’ll see if I can manage a 34t first.

Having tried following Stevede downhills the 32t certainly doesn’t hold him back!

Thanks for the answers folks 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

If you have a good level of fitness then 32×36 should be fine, anything I can’t ride everyone else will likely be pushing anyway or looking very silly spinning their granny ring like a little mincer.

chiefgrooveguru

I run 32t 11-36 – gets me up most things. Regarding pedalling like a mad thing, it’s amazing how practising pedalling like a mad thing will raise the madness threshold substantially, allowing you to go 1×10 without downhill frustration.

wrecker
    Free Member

34t here. Can do DH and all day rides. I don’t fail any climbs which my mates with grannys don’t also fail, and its normally no traction/shit riding than lack of power. You just get used to it.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

32T on both my bikes and I find its good enough for >20% road climbs and if I’m spinning out from speed then the terrain obviously isn’t fun enough and there isn’t much point trying to go faster.

Mugboo

Starting to get a consensus… 32t it is then 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

what feels right for you. i tried 32 and felt it was to easy to pedal in first even up steep hills. why not try it with the 36 you already have first and if thats way to big try a 32 but if just a tad to big try a 34?

firestarter
    Free Member

I used to use 36 and 11-34

deanfbm
    Free Member

32 here (11-36 cassette), perfect 99.99% of the time.

Uphill, if im not making it in this gear, im not making it with a granny ring.

Downhill, pumping is fine for anything interesting, spinning out on roads and fireroads isn’t a problem, that’s manual practise time. Only time i ever think i want a harder gear is on flat out, open dh tracks or for a big gap, but normally generate sufficient speed with pump, so have never actually been under geared.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘All you 1x riders, are 32t enough?’ is closed to new replies.