Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • All year gravity riding in switzerland??
  • ianv
    Free Member

Ive read somewhere that switzerland has a network of trains, funiculars and chair lifts that run all year round servicing the little mountain villages.

Where are the best areas to head to if I wanted to take advantage of these in the spring or autumn?

RHSno2
    Free Member

Anywhere in the alps really but the Valais is dryer.

Autumn you can ride till the cold and ice get you. Spring starts in earnest around March with obvious changes. Depending on the year (this year was a 10-11 month riding year) you can ride for 9 months no problem.

I think people just need to change thinking. You don’t need lifts in the Alps during the off season, just legs, heart and lungs. Shuttling is possible but unless you have someone actually dropping you off it takes as much time as it doesn to climb 8-1000m with the faff.

RHSno2
    Free Member

also, the Postebus is a wonderful thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bajsyckel

For spring and autumn I’d suggest looking down in the Tessin/Ticino area (the mainly Italian speaking part) if only because once you get much further into the alps the weather can start to cause problems if you’re wanting to use lifts. There are quite a few good areas for riding and lots of old trails in the hills (though not all lift-assisted by any means). Higher up you might still get snow causing problems depending on when you go.

As above though, regional public transport is great for riding around central CH, and there is loads of stuff away from the higher areas that you can ride much of the year using this.

jhw
    Free Member

You don’t need lifts in the Alps during the off season, just legs

Yep

grum
    Free Member

Typical STW – someone asks for advice about lift-assisted riding and people say ‘what do you need lifts for, just man up’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘All year gravity riding in switzerland??’ is closed to new replies.