Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • All those miles… How do you lot find time?
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

Get OS map, find bridleways near front door, ride bridleways near front door.

feisty
    Free Member

Last month I did 720 miles on my SS and I have a very busy life

I go to work from 6-2 when I get home my Mrs goes to work (same place) from 2:30-8 I pick up my 5 year old Daughter from school at 3 with my 2yr8month boy in tow, I then cook dinner, feed kids, clear up, entertain them util bath time, then get them both in bed my 7pm. I have an hour to chill then get dinner ready for the mrs when she gets home. at 8:20 Theeeeeennn 3-4 times a week I will do a 15 mile hilly ride that is 500 yards from my house on the South Downs.

At the weekend I still get up at 5:30 but go for a 40-50 mile ride and am back before 9am to do stuff with the family, I then may do the weekday 15 mile loop in the evening as well.

If I didn’t make this effort to ride at early / late times I would never get any miles in and as busy and stressful as our childcare setup is my riding releases my stress and helps me cope

There is always time to ride if you make the effort, I have just launched lots of cash on a decent bike light as it is getting dark earlier so impacting my evening rides

chambord
    Free Member

Funny you should say that binners, I don’t have any lights because they’re quite pricey but was eyeing up a set the other day because it looks like the only way I’ll be able to do any riding at the moment.

Going on holiday on Monday though so wont be able to join you then – when I come back I’ll get a set of lights and come along as long as you don’t mind riding with a lumbering idiot on a crappy hardtail with a fair sized belly and all-time low fitness levels.

will
    Free Member

Commuting is a big help, as is getting up extra early.

Circa 40/50 miles a day doing that, then mid week and weekend club rides, races and random pootling all add up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Work from home” 😆

No, really I do work from home a lot these days. I do have to go into the office in that Lunnon and spend some weeks there at a time, in fact last year I was there sooo much I hardly got any riding in at all during the last half of the year. So I balance up being in Lunnon with being darn Sarf where I’m the Luckiest Man Alive* to live where I do, ride out the door into the South Downs and a myriad of forests and trails. I roadie (is normally my passion) and the lanes around here are just spectacular.
    I have to balance up working and doing what I love. Sometimes there’s a clash and I throw my toys out of the pram, but mostly I just about make the balance. Oh, I have no kids either.

*i really am, and very great full too.

dazh

This is my dream, for cycling, walking, running, and just having a veg patch but I’ve been told I’m not allowed to move out of Manchester for the time being by the OH. Ideally I wanted to live in Mossley, Glossop or something and have hills on the doorstep and the commute to work in town.

You probably just need to be creative. I live in Levenshulme and work in Manc city centre but still manage to get about 150 – 200k a week in by commuting the long way and doing the aforementioned midweek offroad rides. And that doesn’t count the weekends.

Personally I’d rather live in the city and commute to the countryside at weekends than the other way round. Of course it helps if you live in a nice bit of the city, so Rusholme may not be the best place for this 🙂

If ever you need someone to ride with, gimme a shout. I’m usually out midweek after work at least once a week.

binners

chambord – when you’re back, email me (address in profile), we’re out every Monday, and Wednesday or Thursday nights too. I’ve got a spare set of lights you can borrow to give it a try, before you splash out on a set. Night riding is bloody brilliant fun! I definitely put more miles in over the course of a year in darkness, than in daylight!

A lumbering idiot with a fair sized belly and no fitness? Believe me, you’ll feel right at home with us lot then. Our rides are social pace. And always end at the pub. Nobody gets dropped ever! Not even me 😀

mjsmke

*no kids and OH into bikes helps though!

Smart and lucky. We don’t have kids either so weekend riding is good for us.

I can’t really ride into work though. Not aloud to bring bike inside and i’m too paranoid to leave it outside in a college. But it’s summer and no management in so my bikes in my classroom next to me! Planning on a ride after work but might be too hot with a rucksack on my back.

mrhoppy

Find ‘dead time’ where you can get out without causing problems with family life, for me it’s from 8pm onwards in an evening most nights or before work on the days my wife doesn’t work. I can have hoppy jr either bathed and in bed or fed depending on which end of the day and then grab a quick 25-30k spin and still have time in the day otherwise I’d just have surfed STW or watched pointless TV. This will normally be roady or easy bimbles on the cross bike but and it helps that I can be out in the back roads in 5 minutes from the door. Doing this and one decent ride at the weekend will get me 7 hours on the bike and probably 100 miles a week, too much more than that causes trouble. And try riding to the family things, Mississippi drives and you go to meet them.

grum
    Free Member

Funny you should say that binners, I don’t have any lights because they’re quite pricey but was eyeing up a set the other day because it looks like the only way I’ll be able to do any riding at the moment.

They’re not pricy at all these days. You can get some for £17 off ebay that will do the job just fine. Two sets and you’re laughing.

Binners I may come and join you on some of these night rides once we are moved to Hebden.

binners

Be good to have you along Grum! When you’re all relocated, give me a shout. We’ll definitely be up for the return leg to Hebdon too. You are moving into cycling Nirvana! 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not all about the miles. Fine if all you want to do is be out on the bike, but there’s probably a lot of junk miles being done in those numbers.

Yak

We have 2 young kids and both work – me school hours to suit kids. Wife – full time, long hours once the commute is added in. We both ride and go turn about for night and w-e rides. Sometimes these are group rides if it all syncs with other local riders.

Night rides rarely start before 8, as that when the evening kids and tea stuff is done. But then its open-ended to an extent. So my rides are usually 2hrs + . W-e rides – that’s when you need to be creative as its kids and family time then. So early mornings, or if there’s a day out somewhere, then 1 of us may ride there and meet up with the rest.

Even then, we probably only get 2 rides in each per week, maybe 3 on a good week. But between us, that’s 4-5 rides managed around family stuff, work, school etc.

I look back on my pre-kids days and realise how inefficient I was with time and how much ride opportunity was missed. Basically it’s up to you to make time. There are no excuses – look at the mileage of some of the top endurance riders – Terrahawk etc and then realise that they fit this around everything like we all have to.

grum
    Free Member

Be good to have you along Grum! When you’re all relocated, give me a shout. We’ll definitely be up for the return leg to Hebdon too.

Can you cope with having your rightful place at/off the back taken over by me though? You will lose your cachet as the group’s primary pie-eater.

You are moving into cycling Nirvana!

😀 😀 😀

Moving on Monday – excited!!!

crazy-legs

That route that monksie suggested is a good one. Getting out of Manc can be done mostly on off-road paths although some get quite muddy and admittedly it’s not the most technical terrain ever.

During that Rapha Rising climbing challenge on Strava a couple of weeks ago I was doing a lot more mileage than normal (and the good weather helped!) but I was doing extra loops after work or getting the train home and going straight out, either on the road bike round the Goyt Valley or the CX out round the Hayfield/Chinley area.

binners

Grum – rear gunner is the most hotly contested position with us lot. As is chief pastry consumer. But we always welcome competition 😀

TiRed

Commute five days a week, club run on Saturday and club night Tuesday with racing on every other Weds and Tues. Mtb is on sundays with the boys and the occasional evening and weekend away.

I gave up a 25mi a day bike commute for ten years of car commuted 120 miles a day. before moving. I don’t miss the driving and we have been a one car family for over a year.

tinman66
    Free Member

Have to say I’m getting much more quality riding in since I moved back to Sheffield from Lincolnshire despite a 100 mile round trip commute.

In Lincs I always used to get the road miles in but struggled with motivation as the mountain biking was non-existent.

Having the Peak District less than two miles from my door certainly helps with the motivation to get out and I’ve been getting plenty of cheeky spins on the mountain bike in. Even if its for a quick 45mins through the woods near by.

I am going to need a set of lights for the winter though so I can get some extra play time in. 😀

jonba
    Free Member

For me commuting racks up loads and helps me be fit so that the “fun” miles are covered quickly. I can happily ride 50 miles a day on a mountain bike or 100 miles on the road in 6 hours where as plenty of people can’t or at leat can’t then function the next day.

I ride during the evenings. In summer normally 2 nights a week. Straight from work at 5 through to 9 or 10 at night. I try and ride one day at the weekend all day. Generally I plan in advance. Agree what evenings we want to do things and what plans we have for the weekend and fit biking in. We are both busy, have some separate hobbies so don’t feel guilty about not always being together.

DIY situation is desparate, the garden is a mess, we have a cleaner, I end up fitting in other chores late at night or before work.

Example of last week was ride with friends on Sunday (road -105miles) Ride on Tuesday (50miles local loop on the road). Different loop on Thursday (50 miles). Commute is 60 miles a week normally but on Wednesday and Friday i took an extra hour to get home and went a bit further. Pilates with the wife on Monday, Horseriding on Wednesday Friends for BBQ on Saturday.

stevious

DIY situation is desparate, the garden is a mess, we have a cleaner, I end up fitting in other chores late at night or before work.

You, sir, have your priorities in exactly the right place.

sefton
    Free Member

up at 6 out at 6:20.

2 hour road ride before work

then a 1 hour commute home

crosshair
    Free Member

If you want something doing- ask a busy person 🙂

Seriously though, just do it. Then you’ll find you have time. Then you’ll find more time and so on. No secret- just get on and go.

It depends too what you think you’re missing out on, if its just raw miles for fitness then consider a a turbo. Otherwise, just try and make the riding you do do as interesting as possible.

takisawa2

OP…simillar set-up here.
    And I figure buying a road bike is the only way around it. 🙂

cookeaa

I’ll play the family card here, but it is a limited excuse, I imagine I’ll be able to get out and ride more once they’re older (including dragging them along).

The majority of my mileage is commuting at the minute, and even that has to fit in around family (2 kids and a Wife that doesn’t drive, and is pretty scared of cycling anywhere on the road, certainly not with the kids). Being back to sit down for dinner together is also a key a requirement, so I only commute by bike when there’s a bit of slack in the schedule so that a flat doesn’t knacker the routine.

I’m also supposed to get at least one decent ride in (3 hours Minimum) each weekend, that was the agreement, but various plans seem to supersede this every other weekend.
    Night rides are a good way to clock up some miles, but I’ll admit to bailing on those due to tiredness lately…

The commuting is nice right now given the current weather, I’ve had to add an extra ~1 mile detour due to a local road closure in effect for the whole of this coming month, which means a bigger climb too, it’s about on the limit of what I can practically manage on my fixie currently, but that’s good for me I suppose, it’s all training for something… Probably, not that I’ll have the free time to enter, but still.

Riding I can do locally, from my door makes more sense right now than driving somewhere, it’s all on the clock these days.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wife works stupid hours, and we have a 3 yr old = I get very little chance to get out.

My commute to work is 20 miles each way, which I do when the wife isnt working late, so that tends to be 1 day a week.

Running is much more time efficient than biking.

kastle
    Free Member

I find having over people around me who are wanting to get out on their bikes helps.

I have a group (about 7 of us) who all ride mtb’s, there will be at least two of us who decide to go out after work one evening, then it’s amazing how quickley overs ‘find the time’.

Usually leave it until after 8 also helps.

kastle
    Free Member

Running is much more time efficient than biking.

My rides range from 20 minutes to hours…. Having woodland and countryside close does help though. A short ride is better than no ride if you are trying to get quicker and venture further afield.

cookeaa

mrblobby – Member
    It’s not all about the miles. Fine if all you want to do is be out on the bike, but there’s probably a lot of junk miles being done in those numbers.

Go on then I’ll bite, What constitutes “Junk miles” then?

edlong
    Free Member

1) Commuting and other work riding – I’m in the fortunate position of travelling around different sites for meetings, several of which can be linked by off-road routes.

2) Riding from the house. This has really made a difference for me. A few years ago, if I had a few hours free, it would go something like this: Load bike onto car, drive to a recognised riding spot (1 hour). Ride bike for an hour, maybe two. Load bike back onto car, drive home. Now it’s: Ride bike from home, for three or four hours. Much better.

jaqsobo
    Free Member

Live in the middle of some big ‘ills with great trails right out the door. I’ve just done 15 miles into work. I’ll be doing an extended off-road 20+ miles home, via here..

Hey..were you biking up Bury New road about 7.30 am this morning?!

_tom_
    Free Member

Road bike, you can crack out 20 miles in about an hour if you’re quick. I hardly ride my mtb any more, just can’t be arsed to get in the car and drive to somewhere nice on my days off, unless my mates also have the day off.

binners

Jaqsobo – that’ll have been me, yes. On an absolutely filthy Orange P7 (which will be getting even muddier later). Were you one of the many roadies that passed me, by any chance? 🙂

I do the quicker Tarmac route in, then I’ve got a variety of decent off-road routes, of varying lengths home. Decisions, decisions….

wl
    Free Member

Just lifestyle choices, innit. I work freelance and choose time over money, moved to be right in the hills to save travel time, got no kids, got a tolerant other half, ride all weathers and all year, got reliable Oranges that are always ready to ride. End result – tons of mint riding, just enough dosh to live modestly on, very little long-term security but what the hell.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

4 kids and I’m a home dad. I have managed 100km per week so far this year, 50/50 on and offroad. Sat early, back before 9am. Sun I leave early and ride to church, my wife rides home. Wed morn parents in law look after youngest son who is not at school 3hrs. Thurs night late ride after kids in bed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As others have side riding to work fairly bumps up the mileage. I was having a look at July mileage this morning – 472, and that’s with 16 days away on holiday with no bike.

Weekend rides are also done very early morning so they don’t cut into family time.

scandalous
    Free Member

on my way to 3000 this year but wish I could do more.

the start to this year hasn’t helped as not a lot in jan – march.

I work from home or I’m away so early morning or late evening 20-40 mile rides work best.

tend to do 70 – 130 a week depending on stuff (usually kids!)

Dibbs
    Free Member

After 7 months off work sick it’s important for me to ride and get my fitness back. 😆

mrphil
    Free Member

I live 22 miles from One Planet Llandegla, takes 1.5 hrs to ride there on the Alpine. Add a lap of the Black and it is a nice 55-60 mile ride which takes 6 hrs.

Gets me enough time on the bike to keep fit and sample some great trails. Try and do this once midweek when on nights.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

With kids & work = early mornings, evenings, 1 x weekend and lunch hours when I work from home

+1

tomtomthepipersson

2 kids, a wife and out the house from 8am to 7pm… so it’s evenings and weekend rides for me. Try to do 2 evening rides of about 1.5hrs and a weekend one of about 2hrs. All off road, none of this roadie nonsense for me.

Also my 5yr old has started off roading so I try to get a short ride with him each weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘All those miles… How do you lot find time?’ is closed to new replies.