Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • All this talk of long tts/front centres, really the way forward?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Just having a little debate in my head, Going to whistler next year, I will be riding all the dh bike big stuff.

However, I don’t own a dh bike, I don’t really intend on buying one either, it will never get used, I just use my sb66 for that stuff, this brings me onto my debate over what to do bike wise.

My sb66 is a small, it has your average length TT for a medium bike at a smidge over 23.1″. I run a 50m, Stem.

My concerns about running this bike in whistler is stability and strength, both of which could be solved with a medium carbon, stronger, lighter and more stable. I can’t justify buying a dedicated dh bike but can justify making my trail bike suitable.

Plan would be to run a medium carbon sb66 and 40mm stem, swap out my pikes for some 170mm vans or something for whistler.

I however don’t want to ruin what is a fun bike for the riding I do in the country, trail through to big senders, the sb in small is currently so much fun in the air, just stable enough for UK speeds.

Who has gone for the big TT and real short stem and how have you found the change?

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I went from a small Meta 4x top tube 559mm to a medium banshee spitfire top tube 595mm. I used a 50mm on the 4x and have just swapped at 50mm stem to a 35mm on the spitfire.
    I was worried about jumping and moving the bike around after being used to such a small frame, but after a few rides you adapt to the different geometry. I ride all the same trails and jumps as I did on the 4x except I ride them faster on the spitfire. The only place it wouldn’t be as good would be a bmx track!

chiefgrooveguru

If you run longer forks that will simultaneously lengthen the front-centre and shorten the effective top tube. How tall are you? What’s your armspan?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deanfbm
    Free Member

What are evening folk saying?

Little extra notes, the wheel base on my small sb physically measures 45″ which is getting on for DH bike length, stick 170 forks on it, closer 45.5″.

If i went medium with 170mm forks the wheel base will be getting on for 46.5″, which is properly DH bike territory. In trail guise would get back to 46″ which is still long.

Of course eff tt needs to be considered and its effect with diff fork lengths etc, i just can’t work out in my head whether being sat into and forward on the bike with the med would be better than being a bit more upright and centred than the small.

Wish the reach and stacks were shown on both sizes to get a better idea of size and position on the bike. I care naff all about my seated position, though when i demoed a med SB, as i got tired, i got back ache and moved more and more forward on the saddle, it had a 60mm stem though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘All this talk of long tts/front centres, really the way forward?’ is closed to new replies.