Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • All this HD movie footage. How do you edit, burn, store and share it?
  • rockhopper70

I was thinking of buying a HD camcorder for the family hols next year but I was wondering that, aside from uploading the HD on Vimeo and Youtube, how do you edit it, store it, and share it?
    Is it a case of just keeping it on the memory card and then playing it through a pc to a HD telly. I haven’t noticed that blu-ray recorders have really taken off.
    Just wondering if this is a case of having a collection of full sd cards like I used to have a suply of DV tapes?

buttercup
    Free Member

Depends on what kind of camera you have. GoPro cams store all information to an SD card. Have seen it with other camcorders as well.
    I have a Sony HandiCam that has an HDD and I just load files directly to my computer via a USB cord using Final Cut Pro. FCP will save the files for you after you load them in as a project.
    But, with the SD card, it just makes a video file, which you can move to your computers hard drive to free up the space on your card.

rockhopper70

so they do have to be viewed through a pc connection?
    My TV has a USB port on the side (Sony Bravia). Would that play HD from a USB stick drive?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buttercup
    Free Member

Most cameras will come with an RGB cord, at least, for you to plug into your aux ports of your TV if you prefer to play footage from the camera directly to your TV. I believe most sony products have added bonuses to go along with Bravia TVs as well. Not 100% on this as I don’t have a TV, but I am sure my camcorder says something about Bravia on it.

But to edit/store, you will need the computer/ExHDD or a lot of SD cards.

rockhopper70

Thought as much. Suppose I was hoping that I could make up discs for older parts of the family without the required tech.

buttercup
    Free Member

It wont be much if you have SD cards as your cameras storage. It only gets wild when you have an HDD.
    SD card: remove card form cam, put in computer, drag files from SD card to the folder to be burnt-could even be using a basic DVD creator program that came with the computer. Bob’s your Uncle.
    HDD: If you want to edit it, you will have to pull the footage from the camera to the editting software. If you just want raw footage, they have their own software to turn the footage into burnable product. Panasonic has a very user friendly program that will come with the camera to put the footage to disc, but makes it very difficult to edit in a respectable program.

antigee

below is note i wrote myself last week as have no computing power that will actually handle HD and had suffered a few times trying to sort stuff so could let other people have copies

WMV is windows movie maker and is free download from microsoft, not fancy but probably a good starting place can edit clips, do transitions, credits, add photos, music, change volumes and then burn to DVD for rels

the conversion software mentioned below is free as well and compared to other stuff tried is very good

i use a biggish external drive and save the original HD stuff and converted stuff to that – bit slower but unless you have stacks of disk space you soon get stuffed

…To convert a video from HD so will play on a pc or laptop that doesn’t have powerful ram and/or a fast video card

Use Freemake video converter to convert to WMV file (must pull down options and check save quality – reduce to “DVD Quality”) open file manager and rename to avoid accidentally selecting the mpeg or MP4 version

Start up WMV editor to make into a movie – take care when importing to check/uncheck “import clips box) if checked will split into a (random?) number of clips rather than import as one file for edit

Use Freemake to upload to YouTube – will need to login afterwards to correct title/tags but means that file is automatically correctly sized to upload – can select multiple file to upload

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘All this HD movie footage. How do you edit, burn, store and share it?’ is closed to new replies.