Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • All terrain tyres on my 2wd campervan?!?
  • Matt_SS_xc

So I saw a t5 today with chunky bf Goodrich all terrain tyres. It looked really cool! I know that makes me sound like a 12 year old boy but never mind.
    I’ve always fancied bigger wheels on my van to fill the wheel arches a bit but alloys are both expensive and I feel somewhat impractical driving on dodgy devon lanes and on mountainbike trips down rough tracks.
    However these tyres looked beefier and like they would suit the van.
    I have a peugeot boxer.

Is it a really silly idea to fit them. I’ve done some googling but still not sure. I know it will bring down mpg slightly. But a bit one know of it’s lots?!?
    Any real world experience would be great, I don’t need off-road grip. It never gets more serious than a forest fire road.
    Thanks!

exupmonkey
    Free Member

2007 Fiat Ducato camper owner here. Previous owner had fitted 17″ Calibre Trek alloys shod with 235/55 17 tyres, look almost low pro and didn’t fill the wheel arch to my eye, ride was harsh and they wore out quicker than a set of MTB tyres so was costing a small fortune to keep it legal. I’ve now changed the tyres to a set of Black Circle budget brand tyres and increased the aspect ratio to 65 and what a difference it makes. Looks like they were made for the van, the tyres have a chunkier tread pattern and the ride quality is much improved. Couldn’t go any bigger mind, clearance is just about spot on.

PePPeR

Which size wheels do you have on your boxer at the moment?
    Standard wheel size is 15″

The heavy duty vans have 16″ wheels which would be a better place to start from.

There’s a Web site like this which will show you how much bigger a tyre is too.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

I do agree about 4×4 tyres being rubbish to drive on though!

You’d be better off getting a set of second hand 16″ wheels and a set of all season tyres from somewhere like.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

pictonroad

I have taken mine to some places where I would definitely have got stuck, but I probably wouldn’t have gone there on standard wheels. They’re noisy but tbh, campers are pretty noisy anyway.

Mine are proper all terrains, if you want it bit more road bias there’s some which are rated 70/30 road off road. I like the General Grabber range of tyres. Check they’re properly load rated and make sure you know what you’re doing if you start messing about with sizes, it’s an expensive mistake if they don’t fit. Mine have 2mm of clearance at the back for example.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘All terrain tyres on my 2wd campervan?!?’ is closed to new replies.