• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • all rounder 700×40 tyres
  • rOcKeTdOg

fast on the road and good on mild off road, what’s good?

johnnystorm

On One Gravel Road.

Look like shrunken trax-fatty tyres. I use them as my everyday commute tyres on my Fargo.

boxelder

+1 for above.
    Schwalbe Land cruisers too, but they’re heavier.

benp1

WTB Nano

razorrazoo

Conti speed ride though 700/42. Like the cycloscross speed but fatter.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The new Schwalbe g-ones ??
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/schwalbe-g-one-tubeless-g-for-gnarmac-obviously

Clement 40mm X’Plor MSO

WTB Nanos (these are what i have fitted on my tripster off road wheels)

mboy
    Free Member

Just put a 40c Nano on the front of my CX bike… Will be able to tell you what it’s like soon.

dovebiker

Schwalbe Smart Sams or Surly Knards – both pretty cabable on either surface

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Specialized Trigger 38c. Tubeless ready too

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Got a set of barely used land cruisers 40c if interested, £15 for the pair to a NW Alps resident

tang
    Free Member

Nanos are pretty good. I used them for a summer week in the preselis mixed surface riding. Not used them in the winter at all though as its way too muddy.

daver27
    Free Member

Nanos are bloomin awesome and in a shameless plug, I have a hardly used set for sale as I just sold my cross bike.

trademark
    Free Member

If you can downsize to 35mm, then I’ve found nothing better to fit your bill than Clement X’plor USH, not MSO.

Very fast on road and never yet lost grip under braking/cornering on fire roads and muddy Sustrans surfaces.

jameso

Not used them in the winter at all though as its way too muddy.

Try them, I’m always impressed by how well Nanos handle winter trails. Small block area cuts in and clears well, well spaced, plenty of lateral grip/edge. For year-round road/off-road mixed CX stuff they balance the compromises so well. If it’s dry a smoother tyre works better but the Nanos still roll pretty well – feel a little nervous pushing them on tarmac corners though. The higher TPI version feels a bit more supple+grippy.

jobro
    Free Member

Nano race run tubeless(bit of a faff) have been great so far in circumstances you asked for. Will go for something a bit chunkier for full off road.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Knards are pretty spot on IMHO..

tang
    Free Member

I did try them, but I’m talking very hilly grass climbs with mud underneath (not mild off road really), tred packed out. I love them and they’ll be back on in the spring.

busta
    Free Member

Another vote for Smart Sams. Good in the mud and roll really well considering.

tang
    Free Member

These look interesting, and I’ve got plenty of clearance.

Cazadero Tire (700c/650b x 42mm)

BillOddie

WTB Nano

+1 (but this is based on 1 ride)

They are much more confidence inspiring off road in any sort of slop (be it mud or leaf mulch) than the Clement Xplor USH they replaced.

That being said if I knew I was heading out for drier gravel and tarmac I’d swap back.

jameso

I’m talking very hilly grass climbs with mud underneath (not mild off road really)

Fair enough. They’ve been pretty good in general Chilterns winter clag for me but they will wheelspin up the grassy climb most of my rides start out on.

tang
    Free Member

I just wussed out and put the vittoria tubeless on for the winter, repeated short steep grass climbing. Tbh I’m itching to get 40c back on as returning to 33 for non racing was pretty much a let down(except for muddy fields). All my road/cx chums rib me for being an mtb’r at heart. I like bigger tyres and smaller gears!

tang
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of these
    http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-512-rambler

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘all rounder 700×40 tyres’ is closed to new replies.