Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • All round rucksack for mtbing, commuting and hill walking?
  • Kunstler

I’m looking to replace my Berghaus Freeflow 25 which after a tremendous amount of use is a bit borked. It is possible to get zips and straps fixed but for the cost I may as well buy a new bag.

So I’m going to be using it for commuting – I work in outreach so carry clothes for work, waterproofs, food, tools and tubes. I’ll also use it for big, all day mtb rides where I need similar amount of gear (and more food) and for hill walking where loops for an ice axe might be handy.

ON the WHW I had the loan of an Osprey Escapist 30 which was great other than I put too much in it for the day and it doesn’t seem to have ice axe/pole attachments. I’ve looked at a couple of other Osprey rucksacks – like the Talon 33, wonder if I could get away with the 22 (my 25 ltr Freeflow was pretty rammed to capacity some days). N0 raincover but I could use the one from the Freeflow. I like the Stratos as well – it has a similar frame to the Freeflow, would reduce sweaty back syndrome.

What are you good people using? Feedback from users of Osprey or other similar bags I can look at mush appreciated.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Osprey Escapist 20 very comfortable and has a cover built in but I find it still gets damp sometimes even from my sweat, so use some dry bags. The great thing is the straps are nice and breathable , it has great tool section can take three litre bladder, straps for helmet and you can also strap on pads and carry coats etc etc. my next pack when and if this one dies will be an Osprey…..they also come in different back lengths.
    For commuting I used to use an sort leis messenger twin strapped back pack so I always had dry clothes etc etc etc.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Big fan of Osprey.

Have used talons for years. Currently have 11, 22 and 33s.

I have a brand new talon (BNWOT) 33 for sale in red. Size = m/l back.

Kit Clear Out

aa
    Free Member

Ive got two ospreys, a decade old something or other that i cant break, and an escapist 25 for the exact reasons you specify (tho i have no need for ice axes etc). It performs really well. Lightish, well made so far. Bjt you already know this. Basquemtb did a review of it and like it.

my only criticism is i lose things in the very many pockets.

devash
    Free Member

North Face Borealis

clicky here

Had mine for 3 years now and I use it every day for something or other.

Built like a tank and comes in loads of different colours. You can get them for £40 if you look online.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Osprey pacs are amazing. But if your budget won’t stretch then the QUECHUA Forclaz 30 Air Backpack is just a great pack at a silly cheap price.

tallie
    Free Member

I really like these:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20

Had mine about 4 years and despite significant abuse it’s still fairly bombproof. It’s been used mountain biking, skiing / snowboarding, commuting and as a general day sack. There aren’t many bells and whistles but its simplicity is, for me, one of its attractions.

Admittedly I do have other (bigger) rucksacs which I use for cragging and winter climbing and a smaller Evoc pack with in built back protector for riding…

rene59
    Free Member

I have an Osprey Talon 22 which has pole/axe attachment as well as helmet attachment, great for hiking and biking. Try packing your stuff inside rucksack liner / drybag(s) rather than using a raincover. Raincovers are a pain in the arse.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

OMM or Osprey Talon

Dogsby

I have a Deuter Transalp 30 which is excellent. Good compartments, stable, rain cover and very robust. I use mine for commuting and MTB leading as it has bags of capacity but still sits well.

Dogsby

m360
    Free Member

I like the Montane Medusa 32 as and all-round, light pack. I use mine for mountain biking, climbing, walking, etc. It straps down really small when not full as well, which is important (when you walk into a climb with loads of kit, then carry an empty bag for the route for example). Neat ice axe holders as well.

Tracey

We use Deuter Futura. Have them in various sizes. Have had them for years and they tick all the boxes.

paulwebster
    Free Member

Always been a big camelbak fan, but after a bit of research & feedback from bikers/ walkers I got the osprey rapter 14. Use it daily to commute to work n back 10 mile , without the hydration pack, which I love the framed design versus the floppy full camelbak style. Plus they even supply the loop to fit camelbak design bladders. Used it on trail weekends/ day trips. Hip pockets are a god send for camera, sat nav, snacks etc.

MrPottatoHead

I use a Talon 33 for commuting & walking and think its excellent. Size is a bit overkill some days but means it can easily swallow my laptop if I have to carry it. It feels nice and stable even fully loaded and very comfortable. Rain cover would be useful just to keep the crap off.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a Talon 33, which is great but a bit big for my commute. I also have a Gourdon 20 which is my commuter of choice, but in between the two, the Vaude that Edinburgh Bikes rebranded as their Stow Expert (I think, it was ages ago) has been excellent. Great harness and back panel, loads of pockets and a rain cover which I never use.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I also use an Osprey Raptor 14; its just big enough for all I need, and I can even squeeze a laptop in.

dknwhy

Karrimor hot rock 30 surprisingly good.

Kunstler

Thanks for your input folks. I’m still tempted by the Talon – felt nice when I tried it at Go Outdoors this afternoon but that Camelbak looks a bit of a bargain. Karrimor is very cheap and clicking through I see they are selling a 15 ltr for £10.50. Decisions….

Kunstler

Just to give some feedback – I ended up buying the Camelbak Fourteen 24L that bullandbladder linked to as it seemed a bargain. Mini review:

It’s alright – very well made and with lots of pockets, effective and easy to use compression straps for stabilisation and a really good hydration system. But I have to say that it isn’t perfect. It initially didn’t feel as stable and well fitting when loaded to capacity as my Freeflow did or the Osprey bags that I tried. I’m getting used to it and have done some big all day rides carrying my gear in it and it didn’t impair my ability on the bike at all. I was quite conscious of the shoulder straps when walking with it though – didn’t seem wide enough or long enough in the padded part. It’s a bit like a smaller rucksack that has been scaled up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘All round rucksack for mtbing, commuting and hill walking?’ is closed to new replies.