Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • All round high volume agro winter type tyres
  • portydave
    Free Member

What are folk using, for general mixed (read often muddy!) natural steep trails, plenty of up, but the focus on the downs….

Needs to be good tubeless, and 26″, and fairly light (ie not dual ply) but sturdy.

The muddy/magic Mary looks good for the front, but seems to be clean out of stock at the moment. Or how about a 2.5 minion up front….but which compound……and is ust better?

I’ve got a baron which is good, but its a bit narrow, and the sidewalls are gash, and the tougher der baron seems mega heavy.

On the rear I currently have a hans dampf which is alrite (ish), but something with more bite might not go amiss….

Cheers for the input folks!

righog
    Free Member

Everyone will have there preference, and I know loads of people who really like Hans Dampf’s. So you you will probably not do much better.

The trouble is that in the real world it is very difficult to try every combination of tyres, because it would cost a bomb.

FWIW worth the best combo I have found is a decent 2.2 on the front ( Maxxis Advantage) and a narrow (1.8)maxxis Medusa on the back. The worst results I got where from a very high volume swampthing.

stevied
    Free Member

Got a 2.5″ Minion 3c in EXO flavour. Decent weight, great grip, tubeless no problem and the EXO is like a 1.5 ply..

br
    Free Member

On the rear I currently have a hans dampf which is alrite (ish), but something with more bite might not go amiss….

Rear grip is more about body position, run a ‘slicker’ rear and then you can put more on the front.

Front – Chunky Monkey 2.4 sticky
    Rear – Ardent

kayak23

Ardent 2.4 Exo front.
    Ardent 2.2 Exo rear.

A good compromise all year round Ime…

stu1972
    Free Member

Conti 2.2 BC UST Rubber Queens are working out fine for me. 18/24 psi giving mucho grippiness

ajantom

Currently running 2.4 chunky monkeys (dual compound) for and aft. Seem excellent all rounders in the gloop so far.

I run Spesh Eskars 2.3 all year and find them fine.

Will be fitting some dual ply High Roller II Super Tacky’s for BPW though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘All round high volume agro winter type tyres’ is closed to new replies.