Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • All right…own up (bike rack misfortune content)
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

Seen it before. Brilliant 🙂 What a tool.

Cougar

Had this happen to me on the M65, car in front lost a bike. It’s pretty startling to see right in front of you.

We stopped to retrieve it (the motorway was pretty quiet) and they came back to get it. In our haste to get out of the car my OH forgot about the iPhone in her lap, that was never seen again. So much for karma, hey.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

It does make you wonder whether it was secured properly and the combination of speed and the little hump took it over its ‘tolerances’?

I know I’m not supposed to go over a quoted 60mph with my Thule towbar rack.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like a nice bike!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Ouch.

Not sure that the Range Rover driver did anything wrong though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You’re right,, nothing wrong with that. Apart from not securing a load. Resulting in a 20kg lump of aluminium bouncing uncontrollably, at speed, along a road. 🙄

scaredypants

A woman I knew had 2 canoes fly off her car roof, with rack still attached to them. It “flew” across the reseravtion onto the other side of a dual carriageway 😯

nobody hurt

cubist
    Free Member

“Driver lucky to be alive” may be stretching it a bit though.

bencooper
    Free Member

I had a bike almost come off the roof on the M8 once – front wheel strap broke, the bike rotated backwards and ended up hanging off the back strap only.

Since then, I’ve always doubled up on front straps.

davros

This isn’t helping my paranoia about the creaking sounds coming from my thule roof carrier… Last one made no sound using clamps around the square bars. mounted the new one using the t-track mounts and it makes horrible creaking sounds with side to side movement which is rather disconcerting.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I resorted to plastic coated chain and a shackle to act as a “preventer”on a Thule roof carrier. If the other straps and the grippy thing went, the bike wouldn’t actually leave the rack.

Admittedly, wouldn’t help if the rack feet had detached.

njee20
    Free Member

“Driver lucky to be alive” may be stretching it a bit though.

I thought this. Even if he hit it square on I doubt anything would happen other than a damaged car!

You’re right,, nothing wrong with that. Apart from not securing a load. Resulting in a 20kg lump of aluminium bouncing uncontrollably, at speed, along a road. [/quote]

That, and driving like a complete bell end.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You’re right,, nothing wrong with that. Apart from not securing a load. Resulting in a 20kg lump of aluminium bouncing uncontrollably, at speed, along a road.
    That, and driving like a complete bell end.

Quite, if the driver of the cam car is doing 50 ish the rr is well over the NSL

sofatester
    Free Member

This is my local patch and know that stretch of road well.

The overtaking driver is an idiot, for the above reasons and more.

– Crest of the next hill is blind with a farm entrance

– In less than one kilometer it goes through a village at 30mph

– The car ahead will slow them down again anyway!

Not that any of these things usual matter to someone making progress.

timber

Looks like an Orange 5.
    Insurance job for a new bike?

MoreCashThanDash

know I’m not supposed to go over a quoted 60mph with my Thule towbar rack.

*sheepishly looks for instructions that came with tow bar rack*

oink1
    Free Member

Was that a liberated cloud of Stans when it hit?? 😯

Rubber_Buccaneer

Could do with more rebound damping

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This isn’t helping my paranoia about the creaking sounds coming from my thule roof carrier… Last one made no sound using clamps around the square bars. mounted the new one using the t-track mounts and it makes horrible creaking sounds with side to side movement which is rather disconcerting.

I suspect the bike fell off because the driver didn’t have Thule kit. You’re safe enough with Thule. There are a number of Thule videos on youtube showing cars with roof mounted bike racks testing them – even one with a rally car with a bike on the roof doing some rallying stuff. I suspect this was a case of the knuckledragger failing to load the bike properly – probably in a hurry hence the dodgy overtake while approaching a blind crest on a bend.

mikey74
    Free Member

What a load of exaggeration: 20ft in the air? 10ft max. Lucky to be Alive? The bike got nowhere near him. I thought I was reading the Daily Mail for a minute. Especially the comment about cyclists being dangerous, even in cars 🙄

Yes, the person in the Range Rover was an idiot, but the exaggeration is stupid.

Andy

Happened to me 20 years ago on the M3 near Winchester. Orange E2 came off my roof rack at 70mph on the outside lane. Can still remember the images of seeing the bike lifting through the sunroof, bouncing along behind and the cloud from the brakes of the Renault behind. Thankfully no one hurt and apart from a trashed rim bike fine.

Lesson learned. I hadnt put the bike on and asking your passenger 3 times if its secure isnt enough. As the driver I should have checked. Now I always check. I also have a 6 foot length of plastic coated 5mm steel cable with end stops. This goes through the bikes and is held by being shut in both rear doors. If the carriers or rack fail, they are still going no where.

themilo
    Free Member

That’s nothing, I once had the ENTIRE roof rack break off the car on the M4! The longboard strapped to it proved to have just too much lift for the brand new, utterly shite, eBay special roof bars. The noise when the plastic “feet” sheared off was horrible but not nearly as horrible as the sight in the rear view when my beloved mctavish fireball looped about 15 feet into the air before crashing down onto the inside lane.

I managed to retrieve the board and one of the roof bars after a kindly, and observant, hgv driver slowed the traffic enough for me to dash out and grab it.

Thule all the way after that. Course the wife couldn’t resist trotting out the old “buy cheap, buy twice”. She was right though…….

CheesybeanZ

sofatester – Member
    This is my local patch and know that stretch of road well.

Whats the bike like – is the frame ok 😉

joat

I always find it strange that people say they are lucky with things like this. Of the only bike probably to fall off a rack that day, the absolute lack of luck (had it hit him) is astonishing.

funkmasterp

What a load of exaggeration: 20ft in the air? 10ft max. Lucky to be Alive? The bike got nowhere near him.

^^this. The bike was nowhere near the car. It’s like the people that nearly win the lottery. No, no you didn’t.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I can’t see anything wrong with the actual maneuver. It may have been a waste of fuel but it seems to be a perfectly safe overtake.

Yes, the insecure load obviously is a big problem. I’ve seen people inspecting a bike rack on the back of a camper where the alu had snapped and the bike’s and rack were still attached by prayer more than anything else.

binners

I’ve had that happen to me 😳

We were out at Rivi on our annual bonfire nightride/firework-fest in absolutely insane “WTF-are-we-doing-out-in-this’ conditions. Proper gale force winds, and torrential rain. We abandoned it as shear stupidity, I strapped 2 bikes to my rear rack and we set off down the M61. Driving in gale force winds and driving, torrential, horizontal rain is never fun, but with 2 bikes on board, its even less!

The conditions were that bad, that you do that thing where you’re down to 30mph, with the wipers on full tilt, and you still can’t see. There was a huge gust of wind, which nearly knocked the car sideways, and I felt the bikes and rack lift, this then snapped the retaining straps on the Thule rack and a Stumpjumper bounced down the inside lane.

Now at that point, I didn’t give a toss about the bike. I had a horrible stomach-churning feeling, and my only thought was what was behind me, and was about to hit the bike. Luckily(?) it was an articulated lorry. There was absolutely nothing left of the bike. It was literally a barely recognisable, tangle of metal Not a single solitary salvageable part. Truly terrifying to think of something lighter hitting it. 😯

The bikes have gone inside the car ever since

sofatester
    Free Member

Whats the bike like – is the frame ok 😉

Hang on, will go and check.

cornholio98
    Free Member

At work we have to replace our nylon straps every 6months due to a load being shed in some far away place using cheap kit. They probably only get 20-30 uses before they are junked…

Still means the warehouse and workshop staff all have pretty new good condition kit for free 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘All right…own up (bike rack misfortune content)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts