• This topic has 119 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • All publicity is good publicity…
  • aracer
    Free Member

Somebody please photoshop a pic of him holding a fish next to a barrel

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

The dream these numbskulls have is that they will travel to Africa and wander the endless veldt in a pith helmet with a guide who will track their prey on foot. Using their advanced hunting skilz they will get to within range of an unsuspecting animal and dispatch it successfully, therby proving something (?) to themselves or others.

The reality is that (whether he thought it was legal or not) there was a vehicle with a dead animal tied to the back dragged through the bush to attract a lion out of a national park..

It was night, he was probably in or beside the vehicle (and therefore facing no personal danger). There was a spotlight, the lion probably looked up at it thinking “thats odd” as animals do at night (its the hunting equivalent of fish in a barrel), and even then he fluffed it and missed.

They did do the decent thing by tracking and dispatching it, but thats the only decent thing they did.

For me the issue here is not about hunting overall (which I’m fine with) but the morality of hunting an endangered species. There is a photo online of the same guy with a white rhino (which you can still pay to shoot, charged by the inch of horn in the 21st century!)

Big game hunting is not even really hunting, its just willy waving target practice.

Drac

In what way is Ricky Gervais qualified to tell us who can and can’t kill an animal?

He’s an animal activist who happens to be a Celeb so he’s using his fame to promote such things. Not hard to work out really.

footflaps

For me the issue here is not about hunting overall (which I’m fine with) but the morality of hunting an endangered species.

Plus the whole legality of it, they lured their prey out of the park specifically to try and get away with it. The whole thing was a crime from start to finish. They’ve also probably killed off all the cubs in the pride as they’ve lost their protector etc.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They did do the decent thing by tracking and dispatching it, but thats the only decent thing they did.

More likely that he’d payed for the lion’s head and skin and wasn’t going home without it.

Set the hunny badgers on him. That’ll teach him something about teef.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What if the upshot of that ban is that rural economies in Africa fall on their ass, and instead of preserving animals to attract big game hunters and their money locals are forced to kill these animals for food or export leading to their extinction?.

Supposedly a lot of the money from trophy hunting is siphoned off via corruption. Your average Zimbabwean probably wouldn’t notice the difference, as if Zimbabwe’s economy wasn’t already on it’s ass.

samunkim
    Free Member

From National Geographic
    http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2015/07/21/death-of-zimbabwes-best-loved-lion-ignites-debate-on-sport-hunting/

A source familiar with the situation, who wishes to remain unnamed, says big cats may be lured out of protected areas into hunting concessions with bait. It “indicates to me a level of desperation by the hunting operators. No big male lions remain in their hunting concession areas, despite their claims of ‘sustainable’ hunting practices,” the source added.

Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, says the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction. Not only a natural loss, but a financial loss.” Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying U.S. $9,800 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of U.S. $45,000 with no hope of future revenue.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You would think Cecil was the only lion in Africa.

The lodge will still be full of tourists. One dead lion isn’t going to stop them.

samunkim
    Free Member

Except the last one obviously. Which is now several steps closer

chakaping
    Free Member

How many would? Just out of interest.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Someone whose name was Honest Trymore would set alarm bells off for me anyway.

And Ndlovu sounds like something an inebriated person might want to tell

Good job you are neither Prince Phillip or a Tory peer with comments like that…what’s the word for that kind of comment?

…have you been to Africa Ernie?

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Would what?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Good job you are neither Prince Phillip or a Tory peer with comments like that…what’s the word for that kind of comment?

Oh go on say it ffs don’t play games …..”racist” 🙄 [/quote]

Yes I’ve been to Africa, and I’ve even met some “black” people on more than one occasion would you believe.

That’s the problem with middle-class privately-educated docile herberts like you and Flashheart, you assume that pisstaking is fine if it’s directed at white people but unacceptable if it’s direct nonwhites. I couldn’t give a monkeys what colour a person is. You obviously do.

And in this thread here oh my god I talk about Ali-Ben Bongo and Papa Bongo 🙄

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-have-nothing-against-the-bongos-but

Talking of names do you think Mr Palmer feels the need to prove how macho he is because his parents named him Walter ?

*waits to be informed by flashheart that Walter is a common name in the US*

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s brilliant – will it be “some of my best friends next”?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I was taking the piss out of your ridiculous ‘have you been to Africa’ question. Well done 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

duncancallum

He’s a dick.

End of.

scotia
    Free Member

hooli – Member
    I don’t agree with what this guy did and would never do it myself but what I don’t understand is why minor celebrities seem to be chiming in.

In what way is Ricky Gervais qualified to tell us who can and can’t kill an animal?

He’s a human being, and apparently has some decent ideas.. isnt that enough? bizarre mindset you have there.. what do you want a head of state to tell them not to hunt? We’re not at school..

jimjam
    Free Member

scotia

He’s a human being, and apparently has some decent ideas.. isnt that enough? bizarre mindset you have there.. what do you want a head of state to tell them not to hunt? We’re not at school..

He is to animal rights activism what Russel Brand is politics. An annoying mouth piece with naivety bordering on childlike but he’s given publicity because he’s a famous comedian.

He could take some of his 100 million dollar wealth and buy a few thousand hectares in Africa, breed these animals and hel protect them from extinction. But he seems to prefer tweeting, oddly enough.

scotia
    Free Member

but what I don’t understand is why minor celebrities seem to be chiming in.

i was responding to this.. i dont have a clue who russel brand is?

So a minor celeb cant air their view? they must pay? why dont you pay? whats the difference?

Anyways, getting back to the point of the OP..

jimjam
    Free Member

scotia

So a minor celeb cant air their view? they must pay? why dont you pay? whats the difference?

Minor celeb? He has 10 million followers on twitter. For context, David Cameron has 1 million. When he targets someone, as he has done recently they get death threats. He can ruin lives with a few tweets.

This would be all well and good if his massive following and popularity was based on his lifetime of animal rights activism and devotion to animal welfare, but it’s not. It’s because he’s a comedian. His voice is grossly disproportionate to his experience or expertise.

ahwiles
    Free Member

was it not ever thus?

IdleJon

So all those of you getting so worked up on this thread will be going out and actively doing something about this, I’d guess? Maybe donating money to Tusk (www.tusk.org) or one of the charities that actively attempt to stop poaching, because this is just one animal among many that will killed this year.

Or are you just going to waste the day point-scoring on STW about this?

hooli

His voice is grossly disproportionate to his experience or expertise.

This is what I was getting at

scotia
    Free Member

idlejon – i already do thanks to 5 charities of that nature.

i cant actually do anymore myself.. not rich enough.

right, going to stop so im not misquoted on here again and he gets all excited about it..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

point-scoring on STW about this?

Nah, I’ll leave that to whingers whinging about whingers.

convert

Minor celeb? He has 10 million followers on twitter. For context, David Cameron has 1 million. When he targets someone, as he has done recently they get death threats. He can ruin lives with a few tweets.

This would be all well and good if his massive following and popularity was based on his lifetime of animal rights activism and devotion to animal welfare, but it’s not. It’s because he’s a comedian. His voice is grossly disproportionate to his experience or expertise.

A celebrity with a big public following and broadly similar opinions to me on animal cruelty abusing his platform to keep the subject in the public eye with the great unwashed who would otherwise not give it a second thought with sufficient vitriol that horrible little knobbers like this dentist have their life temporarily made a misery. Reminder me again why I shouldn’t think this a good thing? If you don’t agree with him, it’s obviously going to suck, but I’m not going to shed too many tears.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

I don’t fully agree with Gervais, but he does put his money where his mouth is.
    He gave a wad of cash to support rangers in africa (after tweeting to find a way to fund the shooting of poachers), and also tried to use his twitter feed to start a rumour about the medicinal value of dried poacher testicles for the chinese market.

All good in my book.

DezB
    Free Member

So all those of you getting so worked up on this thread will be going out and actively doing something about this, I’d guess?

I think “posting on the Internet” has really done quite a bit in this case. 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

Are we talking Kendall Jones??

If so, no freaking way 😯 She’d probably chop your tallywhacker off and hang it from the wall.

(I still can’t get my head round the fact that folk like this hunt sheep with bows and arrows……)

Lazgoat
    Free Member

This is very close to my heart as I grew up in Kenya and my family are involved in conservation. To put a few things into context: Cecil the lion was no ordinary lion. He was very well known and was being studied by Oxford University and had a tracking collar on him.
    Walter Palmer was out hunting but had no quota or licence for lion.
    His hunting party lured the lion out of the national park by leaving a blood trail for him to follow.
    They sighted the lion, a quite significant maned lion, and shot and injured him.
    They then tracked him for 40 hours! 40 hours! Then shot him with a gun.
    They tried to destroy the tracker and collar, beheaded and skinned him.

Walter Palmer has disappeared, for now, but his hunting party have been arrested in Zimbabwe.
    They knowingly lured the lion out of the park to shoot it.
    They had no quota to shoot a lion.
    How could they not know it was the famous lion when they saw it?
    It’s incredulous.

The money from trophy hunting mostly remains with the rich elite and land owners, hardly any of it goes back into real conservation or the local economies. Far more money goes into local economies from tourism.

Poaching of Elephant and Rhino in Africa is at unbelievable levels, one elephant is killed every 15 minutes. Tanzania has lost 60% of its elephants in the last 5 years, over 85000 elephants gunned down and their faces hacked to pieces.

So what can you do? Don’t buy Ivory or Rhino horn in any form. Support a conservation organisation either financially or follow them on social media and spread news of their good work to your friends and family to raise awareness of the issues.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Don’t buy Ivory or Rhino horn in any form.

Waitrose have taken it off the shelves, I expect the others will follow suit.

convert

Waitrose have taken it off the shelves, I expect the others will follow suit.

😀

I guess we have to change asian market tastes to remove the temptation.

leffeboy

Anyone else finding Walter Palmer now being hunted slightly ironic?

footflaps

I think he’s getting his just deserts, hopefully they’ll charge him in Zimbabwe and he’ll be extradited.

Northwind

natrix – Member

Hunting sheep with a bow and arrow!!!

He really wanted those cufflinks

richc
    Free Member

Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, says the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction. Not only a natural loss, but a financial loss.” Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying U.S. $9,800 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of U.S. $45,000 with no hope of future revenue.

I was thinking about this, if he illegally destroyed a major source of revenue surely he’s open to litigation for loss of earnings? In a similar way that BP had to pay out compensation to local businesses over the deep water horizon.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I was thinking about this, if he illegally destroyed a major source of revenue surely he’s open to litigation for loss of earnings? In a similar way that BP had to pay out compensation to local businesses over the deep water horizon.

Based on figures that someone plucked out of the air?

andyl
    Free Member

Aren’t Americans bound by American laws even when on foreign soil? eg if an American abroad has sex with someone under the age of consent in the USA but over the age of consent in the country they are in then they can still be charged when they return to the USA?

The US endangered species act doesnt list this type of Lion but some of the other animals he has killed might be on it: http://ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/pub/SpeciesReport.do?lead=10&listingType=L

Answered my own question:

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/international-stories.html

What activities does the ESA prohibit?
    Except by regulation or permit issued for specific purposes consistent with the ESA, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. to:

Import into and export from the U.S. listed species.

Take—which includes harassing, harming, pursuing, hunting, shooting, wounding, killing, trapping, capturing, collecting, or to attempting any of these—of listed species within the U.S., its territorial waters, or on the high seas.

Possess, sell, deliver, carry, transport, or ship listed species taken in violation of the ESA.

Sell or offer for sale in interstate or foreign commerce; or deliver, receive carry, transport, or ship listed species in interstate or foreign commerce in the course of commercial activity.

Does that mean that a U. S. citizen or resident may hunt an endangered species or a threatened species in another country?
    The ESA does not prohibit hunting listed species outside of the U.S. In fact, the ESA does not have the authority to do so. While foreign countries determine whether hunting an endangered or threatened species within their boundaries is lawful, the ESA does regulate the importation of such species…..

Shame, they should apply it US citizens outside of the US.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘All publicity is good publicity…’ is closed to new replies.