• This topic has 119 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • All publicity is good publicity…
  • doris5000

…is no doubt what Mr Walter Palmer will be hoping at this point:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/river-bluff-dental-bloomington

I hope a seagull stalks him for 40 hours, pecking him in the arse constantly

JulianA
    Free Member

Sadly it seems that this man has done nothing illegal.

As and when big game hunting becomes illegal perhaps this kind of thing will become prosecutable.

There are some horrible posts on the yelp link and I don’t think we should wish ill on someone for legal actions – just hope that he thinks about them.

pirahna
    Free Member

JulianA – Member
    Sadly it seems that this man has done nothing illegal.

From what I’ve read I think this one was barely legal, some of the other stuff he’s killed seems to be protected species which definitely isn’t. Legal or not there are a lot of people that see big game hunting as something very wrong, particularly when it involves wounding the animal and taking two days to find it to kill it with a rifle.

MoreCashThanDash

Controlled licensed game hunting in some areas is helping pay for the conservation efforts in others.

Hardly an ideal situation, obviously, but as with most things, they aren’t totally black and white.

Does sound like this guy got scammed by people claiming to be legit.

aracer
    Free Member

They appear to be prosecuting the other people involved. You’d think it obviously very morally wrong to lure it out of the national park in order to shoot it – and Mr Palmer does business in the US where morals matter, not just the strict rule of law, hopefully he won’t be making enough money to go on more trips like this.

PMK2060

Legal or not you have got to be a sick individual to enjoy killing big game.

I understand that it helps pay for conservation but I would not want him as my dentist.

joolsburger
    Free Member

People who hunt for sport are all absolute c words.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does sound like this guy got scammed by people claiming to be legit.

I think the clue was in the name : Honest Trymore Ndlovu with perhaps special significance to the middle part of the name.

Someone whose name was Honest Trymore would set alarm bells off for me anyway.

And Ndlovu sounds like something an inebriated person might want to tell you.

http://cnnphilippines.com/incoming/2015/07/29/Cecil-lion-Walter-James-Palmer-Zimbabwe.html

“The Zimbabweans, Honest Trymore Ndlovu and Theo Bronchorst, were due in court Wednesday”

pirahna
    Free Member

Another thing I read was that the lion was head of a pride. Now another male will move in and in doing so will kill all the cubs in the pride. So not just one lion killed, he killed kittens!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Someone whose name was Honest Trymore would set alarm bells off for me anyway.

And Ndlovu sounds like something an inebriated person might want to tell you.

Trolling or stupid? Ndlovu is a popular name in Zimbabwe, and Honest isn’t at all unlikely as a name there either. I’d imagine Trymore to be equally normal.

But, I assume you knew that.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey, come on now. He’s an “American” – “America” has a culture we could never hope to understand.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Controlled licensed game hunting in some areas is helping pay for the conservation efforts in others.

He paid 50k – Cecil was drawing in way more cash than that in terms of tourists.

If the accusations that he deliberately led the lion of the range are true, then it was illegal.

Personally I think it’d be far more macho to shoot one with a paintball gun and then try to escape. Total psychos kill big game for sport, even with a bow it’s not about danger as the guides are armed to the teeth. It’s about getting a thrill from killing something, taking the head and displaying it on your wall is one small step one divorce away from going out….killing a bunch of hookers with a crossbow….plastinating them and displaying them in your sex dungeon.

At least if you join the infantry, incoming fire gives you a thrill seeking excuse – as opposed to a Hannibal Lecter style power trip.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a scientific experiment – he’s tried shooting moose, chamois, deer, ibex, leopard, rhino, polar bear, grizzly bear, bison, black bear and now lion.

Seems like there’s nothing that’ll increase the size of his tiny, tiny penis.

Caher

Times like this you realise how primitive and hard to understand the fly-over States’, rednecks are.

goldfish24

I didn’t realise until reading this news story that it was possible for someone like this to legally(ish) do this. I’m just glad that this individual has managed to get it so wrong he’s raised it up to newsworthy status.

It’s a sad state that income from this activity is a useful way to prop up efforts to prevent this kind of activity. Sad indeed.

I should probably wind my neck in, but I’m so outraged by this that if I had a bow and arrow like that, I know who I’d point it at. But only just to scare em, cos I wouldn’t have the complete lack of civility in me to think it a thrill to watch them die, or claim them as a trophy. Just bonkers.

Rant over…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I haven’t hunted and don’t want to, but I assume that the attractions are much the same as biking.

You get to go to exciting and wild places, do a bit of camping, do something slightly risky and requiring a bit of skill and some expensive equipment, then you Instagram it.

If you’re out hunting leopards with a bow and arrow, you’ve presumably taken the moral judgment that killing non-human animals for instrumental reasons isn’t something you have to worry about, which most of us agree with when we’re making chicken nuggets or smart shoes. 😕

Drac
    tomd
    Free Member

Legal or not, his patients / customers and community can decide if he’s the sort of dentist they want to go to knowing what their cash is going to fund. Just because it’s legal doesn’t mean you can do it without consequence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 at Drac’s link.

“Where was I? Oh yes, it’s been a great day. Hunting really is a lost art. Sitting in a jeep, drinking beer and shooting unaware, unarmed sentient beings is the mark of a true sportsman.”

Take note of how awesome you are hunters.

convert

You’d think it obviously very morally wrong to lure it out of the national park in order to shoot it – and Mr Palmer does business in the US where morals matter, not just the strict rule of law, hopefully he won’t be making enough money to go on more trips like this.

For me this is the salient bit. I am very glad he has been outed and really hope that the patients in his catchment leave him in sufficient numbers that he goes out of business. Sadly until the law changes to prevent rich foreigners doing this sort of thing outing all ‘deviants’ and making their day to day life sufficiently hellish to put others off is the best that can be hoped for.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think we should wish ill on someone for legal actions

Well that’s an interesting take on the issue. Plenty of countries have laws which are just plain wrong.

Drac – The writer of that supposedly humourous piece should be even more ashamed than the dentist. Shockingly unfunny.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find it really odd that many people are hunting legally and yet the odd one gets picked out on FB etc.

Fair enough it seems that this one was illegal, but the client says he believed everything was legal.

Just seems an easy and pointless bandwagon to jump on. “Share this if you think its awful”. Achieves nothing.

Drac

Drac – The writer of that supposedly humourous piece should be even more ashamed than the dentist. Shockingly unfunny.

🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not getting all moral high-horsey about it BTW, it’s just cringeworthy.

Klunk
    Free Member

Mr Palmer is said to have shot Cecil with a crossbow, injuring the animal. The group didn’t find the wounded lion until 40 hours later, when he was shot dead with a gun.

likes torturing and tormenting animals, can see why he’s a dentist

convert

Let’s not forget our own loveable (to some) Prince Philip was not adverse to a bit of big game hunting(that’s him on the left, proud queenie in the middle – what a brave husband you have!). Thankfully public pressure means he only kills small fluffy stuff for fun now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fair enough it seems that this one was illegal, but the client says he believed everything was legal.

Just seems an easy and pointless bandwagon to jump on. “Share this if you think its awful”. Achieves nothing.

You’re such a contrarian that I doubt you’ll recognise this, but you couldn’t be more wrong.

1. He would say that. He’s likely to be fibbing.

2. It achieves a lot more than petitions and lobbying could in terms of putting the issue on the public and political agenda.

I’ve seen people saying stuff like “we kill chickens for our dinner, what’s the difference?” on facebook – only a matter of time until some bright spark comes up with that line here.

jimjam
    Free Member

I eat meat. Lots and lots of meat. Thousands of animals must have died to satisfy my hunger by now. If I lived somewhere where it was practical/economical to hunt for food I would. I worked in a slaughter house as a summer job a few times too. Nothing about the process makes me squeamish.

Killing endangered species does seems totally wrong, but having worked with people who managed large game estates in Zimbabwe before Mugabe they said that entire rural economies in Africa were built on the hunting industry and without Americans and Europeans hunting exotic big game, those animals would be extinct long ago.

zippykona

Do you think Putin is getting a semi looking at the pictures aof the dentist with the leopard?

convert

but having worked with people who managed large game estates in Zimbabwe before Mugabe they said that entire rural economies in Africa were built on the hunting industry and without Americans and Europeans hunting exotic big game, those animals would be extinct long ago.

That’ll be before 1980 then – 35 years ago – before mass market safari tourism (of the non killing kind) took off.
    If they can’t get their financial house in order with the tourists shooting only photos of the local wildlife with the potential market of people wanting to do just that then it’s tragic.

tomd
    Free Member

I find it really odd that many peoplelions are hunting legally and yet the odd one gets picked out on FBby some fanny with a crossbow etc.

Fair enough it seems that this one was illegal, but the clientlion says he believed everything was legal.

jimjam
    Free Member

convert

That’ll be before 1980 then – 35 years ago – before mass market safari tourism (of the non killing kind) took off.
    If they can’t get their financial house in order with the tourists shooting only photos of the local wildlife with the potential market wanting to do just that then it’s tragic.

Apparently not. Since your typical couple on honeymoon safari require/desire a certain amount of luxury or convenience (by safari standards) whereas trophy hunters are more willing to go well out of their way.

I’m no expert, just going on what someone with a lifetime of experience told me. And since I’m responsible for the misery and death of thousands of animals I’m not going to judge someone for killing them himself.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If they can’t get their financial house in order with the tourists shooting only photos of the local wildlife with the potential market wanting to do just that then it’s tragic.

Africa is big, logistics are hard. Transporting and housing a hunter with £35000 to spend on one animal in a remote area is easy. 100 tourists with a Nikon isn’t.

I don’t like hunting at all, but it does bring the money in for wildlife management.

Edit: And hunting is really popular in the US. Don’t assume this will hurt said dentist’s business in any way.

Sui
    Free Member

For the comments made about believing it was legal, animals carrying tag’s / collars are not fair “game”, of which this lion had one, so he knew full well what he was doing, he has enough history behind him to know this.

As for what happened in years past, we’ve all moved on and know that stuff like this shouldn’t really be happening now, so Royals, the “Elite” etc have distanced themselves from it. Unfortunately Rich EEEEmericans with morals looser than Jordans snatch “don’t get it”

ahwiles
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    having worked with people who managed large game estates in Zimbabwe

The guides just bagged the first male lion they could find, in return for a huge wadge of cash.

that’s not ‘management’.

convert

As for what happened in years past, we’ve all moved on and know that stuff like this shouldn’t really be happening now, so Royals, the “Elite” etc have distanced themselves from it.

That was kind of my point. Public pressure (admittedly in a very British and deferent way) changed the Royals’ behaviour. These thick skinned morally absent modern hunters can be influenced too – but probably through their wallets. High profile social media ‘outrage’ to destroy their reputation is as good a place to start as any.

footflaps

That was kind of my point. Public pressure (admittedly in a very British and deferent way) changed the Royals’ behaviour. These think skinned morally absent modern hunters can be influenced too – but probably through their wallets. High profile social media ‘outrage’ to destroy their reputation is as good a place to start as any.

Yep, and the more pressure the better.

jimjam
    Free Member

ahwiles

The guides just bagged the first male lion they could find, in return for a huge wadge of cash.

that’s not ‘management’.

Yeah, I agree. I was making the point that I’m not outraged, and find the kind of global media backlash very ott since, to the best of my knowledge big game hunting is of vital importance in parts of Africa, and, we treat our animals much less humanely whilst killing and wasting them on a giant industrial scale.

Some guy killed a lion he shouldn’t have. End of story really imo. I can’t see there being a similar outrage if someone in Scotland killed the wrong deer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘All publicity is good publicity…’ is closed to new replies.