Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • All my favourite events keep getting cancelled….;(
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

All my favourite XC / Marathon / Endurance type events keep getting binned off… whats happening?
    Not that recent but this year Sleepless didnt happen, Kielder 100 didnt happen, 10 @ Kirroughtree hasnt happend for a couple of years….
    it seems that unless your a southerner your pretty stuck these type of races in the North of England.
    Even Mayhem has moved further south, and im not sure i like it at its new venue!
    no real reply necessary just having a rant!
    maybe a “Bring back…..” thread would be a good idea

footflaps

Yep, I miss 10 @ Kirroughtree, but FC put up their fee by 100%, so it didn’t make financial sense to run it any more, so Fraser had to can it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bloody hope they don’t bin the ard rock enduro next year, was a fantastic weekend that.

Northwind

Watching with fingers crossed to see if my favourite has been canned- it had bad turnout last year but I think that was mostly because No Fuss made a total arse of promoting it, hopefully they’ve not lost faith (or interest)

jonny-m
    Free Member

Anyone know if the above events are on this year yet…?

Harry_the_Spider

Why events get cancelled.

1) Increase in costs for EVERYTHING.
    2) Lack of pre entries.
    3) Landowners getting precious about the trails or scared of litigation.

Drac

What Harry says plus landowners asking for more cash. When it starts costing organisers money out of their own pocket they stop doing them. It’s a real shame too as the North has lots to offer. However as people get put off by the cost of travelling too it’s easy to hold events where the population is greater.

oldgit
    Free Member

Isn’t this something to do with there actually being more events?

Clink

Price must have something to do with it? As above cost of everything has gone up, but wages have not?

I fancy doing an off-road duathlon on Dartmoor but £35 entry (£40 now I missed early-bird entry) plus diesel costs means I probably won’t enter – can’t afford it. Not knocking this particular event btw.

totalshell

we lost access to a very large piece of last year when having run the event we recived a letter from the land owners solicitor to inform us the land owner was been sued by someone who had been walking on the land towards there marshalling point and had ‘broken’ an ankle on the uneven moorland surface..

sadly we had permissions from the farmer who we believed was the landowner but was infact a tenant the marshal did not inform us of there injury but went straight to the land owner…

br
    Free Member

we lost access to a very large piece of last year when having run the event we recived a letter from the land owners solicitor to inform us the land owner was been sued by someone who had been walking on the land towards there marshalling point and had ‘broken’ an ankle on the uneven moorland surface..

sadly we had permissions from the farmer who we believed was the landowner but was infact a tenant the marshal did not inform us of there injury but went straight to the land owner…

Name and shame please, the Claimant that is…

mactheknife

totalshell – Member

That is about as shitty as it comes, Its no wonder events are closing all over. Who would want to put all their time and energy into organising and running events to be backstabbed like this.

djglover
    Free Member

Every man and his dog is entering sportives instead.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I keep thinking that there must be interest in local internet organised events. Organised on social networking, set out a course and use strava for the timings. Ghetto enduro…

Would be real easy to organise, and perfect for a bit of winter fun at the likes of the seven stanes. Say, meet at one of the centres, start riding anytime between a set hour, then check all the strava times for that day. No costs, no prizes, just kudos and fun.

Harry_the_Spider

Would be real easy to organise, and perfect for a bit of winter fun at the likes of the seven stanes. Say, meet at one of the centres, start riding anytime between a set hour, then check all the strava times for that day. No costs, no prizes, just kudos and fun.

…and in the real world you’ll get sued to bits in the event of an accident.

No permission, no insurance, no first aid cover.

Sad, but true.

jonny-m
    Free Member

The real world sucks…..
    If you ask me the real world is getting shitter by the year!

Harry_the_Spider

If you ask me the real world is getting shitter by the year!

Correct. HTN was been scuppered by the new guardians of the local trail centre because racing wears out the surface apparently.

Utter horseshit.

Can’t wait for the email where they ask me to round up the local riders to give them a free dig day. I’m too old to scan a picture of my arse so I’ll have to think of something else.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I disagree, I think you are mixing perception with reality. In reality, I think there is very little chance of litigation, it’s more of a threat hanging over us than a reality. I’m going to put a FOI request in asking how many damage cases the 7 stanes have had against them.

iomnigel
    Free Member

Have you entered 10 under the Ben – was only a tenner. We have quite a few events in the Isle of Man that you may be interested in – the manx 100 or the end to end are big days out, one somewhat bigger than the other.

Harry_the_Spider

As soon as you publicise it you are liable. Fact. It doesn’t matter how many cases they have had against them. It is how many they could have in the future.

Take the chance if you like.

To run HTN we had to have £5,000,000 of public liability cover.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have more faith in humanity than you, probably naively!.

Harry_the_Spider

Faith in humanity sadly doesn’t cut it anymore. 😕

vickypea
    Free Member

Racing wears out the surface?? Bonkers!

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. As does walking about near it.

HTN2015 will avoid all of this crap.

Northwind

Racing does wear out the surface. At pretty much the exact same rate as not racing.

butcher

Every man and his dog is entering sportives instead.

Sportives do seem to be thriving. I’m guilty myself 😳

There was a lot of blaming the recession for a while, but I reckon the rise in road biking is closer to the truth.

It’s just a shame some really solid events suffer for it.

Trekster

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    I disagree, I think you are mixing perception with reality. In reality, I think there is very little chance of litigation, it’s more of a threat hanging over us than a reality. I’m going to put a FOI request in asking how many damage cases the 7 stanes have had against them.

My mole told me recently there are 5 outstanding claims 🙄

JCL
    Free Member

These sue culture morons need hanging. How can anyone who enjoys a sport and has a accident while doing it decide to sue land owners/event organisers? It doesn’t compute with my brain.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I was under the impression that if you fall off it’s classed as a “racing incident” and therefore it’s your own fault as you have already signed a disclaimer before entering saying “if i hurt myself it’s tough shit” or something along those lines?

Drac

Disclaimers aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.

Reality is that 99.9% people who hurt themselves won’t but there’s a chance that someone will and there’s not just those racing who might. So you either pay up or wing it.

Harry_the_Spider

These sue culture morons need hanging. How can anyone who enjoys a sport and has a accident while doing it decide to sue land owners/event organisers? It doesn’t compute with my brain.

Organisers have a duty of care to everyone, not just the competitors.

Staging an event in a public place without actually warning the public, closing routes, signing, marshalling or providing adequate first aid cover is criminally irresponsible. Also anyone attending the race would expect the course to be clear and the assistance to be there should it be required in the event of an incident. In sure that a rider’s attitude would change if he was left paralyzed or worse due to the “what the hell” mentality of the organiser.

Also, if my lad/dad/dog got clobbered whilst minding their own business in the park by somebody in a race I would want some come back.

And, back to the OP, all of this costs money. Lots of money.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘All my favourite events keep getting cancelled….;(’ is closed to new replies.