Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • All mountain suspension forks: Which are best??
  • dukeluke
    Free Member

Been looking for a new set of forks but there is limited reviews available on some. Was wondering if anyone has experience of some decent all mountain/free ride forks.

They will be used for anything from uphill, jumps and light DH. Currently I run Marzocchi 66 RV3’s. These are quality forks which still work great, but I fancy a change and I’m looking at changing my frame anyway. Also they are very heavy, so I’m looking at building a lighter rig.

I know Marzocchi offer some decent forks but I want a change (and they’re generally too heavy). Fox also offer good ones, but I’m fed up of seeing them everywhere (and I think the logo’s a bit naff). There are 3 main contenders as far as I see it (from 2013 onwards).

Rockshox Pike RCT3 (travel choices: 150,160mm)
    Manitou Mattoc (travel choices: 140,150,160,170mm)
    Magura TS8 R 150 (obviously 150mm)

I’m only interested in function here people, ignore price (weight is also similar in these 3 choices). 26″ wheels only!!!

Thanks

I_Ache
    Free Member

Does your fork have a tapered head tube and can your wheels take a 15mm axle? If no to either you can forget the Pike.

razorrazoo

Don’t discount X-Fusion’s.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Only 200g more than a Pike.

650b only.

transition1
    Free Member

X-fusion Vengence or even X-Fusion Metric 180mm fork spaced down to 160mm
    BOS Deville are some of best forks out there if setup correctly & your comfortable doing your own servicing as BOS customer service is poor!! All above 20mm axle
    Pike good but 15mm Axle

Tracey

We have just been doing the same for a pair of 160mm for Abigales Enduro. Having looked at all the options out there we bought some X Fusion Slants DTA. Her first impressions are that they are so plush.

Straight from the shop to the trail

I_Ache
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

650b only.

You can still fit a 26″ wheel in there and have loads of tyre clearance.

andyb39
    Free Member

+1 on the X-fusion Slants. Put a pair on my Nukeproof build and so far I’m very impressed coming from DT-Swiss XMMs on my other bike.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Indeed, I’ve just bought a pair of 650b Pikes to run with a 26″ wheel on a 26″ Enduro on the basis that I don’t mind the slightly longer axle to crown length and if I decide to build up a 650b bike in the near future I’ll already have a pair of forks so I don’t need to get so many expensive parts in one go.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Good call. You could run 2.75″ Surly Dirt Wizards up front.

🙂

dukeluke
    Free Member

I_Ache- I like the look of those Marzocchi’s but as BigDummy mentioned, they are 650b only. If I was to use a 26″ wheel in a 650b specific fork it would slacken the head angle and there would be an increase to the axle to crown length, making the front end higher. It’s not out of the question but it’s just getting too complicated. Especially as I haven’t decided on what frame to get yet.

As I plan to rebuild as necessary, then 15 or 20mm are options (I have Hope hubs currently). No point with QR these days. Also, tapered or full 1.5 head tube/steerer (again depends on the bike but not going to get 1 1/8. Not stiff enough.

Anyway, I’m purely interested in function/experience. Are those 3 I mentioned any good? Any other choices?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Pikes are superior to just about anything with the exception of Bos. Certainly a big step up from Fox 34s and better than X-fusions (which are good for the money, but not brilliant) and divey Maguras.

I’ve been intrigued by Manitou’s new forks- hopefully they’ve started making decent stuff again, but I’d not want to blow £600 to find out when everyone who has tried a Pike reckon it’s the best going.

maxtorque

I’m currently stuck between a set of Pikes (default choice now it seems) and a set of ‘zocchi 55cr’s.

What i REALLY want is a fork that is the equivalent of the CCDBair shock I’ve got on the back, ie 4 way adjustable, no gimmicks (mode switches, height adjust etc etc)

I rode a set of pikes on a friends bike last weekend, and whilst they felt very different to what i have now (Fox RLCs) it was impossible to know how much of that was in a) the particular settings he runs and b) the fact the bike is completely different to mine!

So, frankly, i’m no nearer a decision than i was before…… DOH

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Mattoc’s do indeed look interesting but as above, I’d be worried about taking a punt given some of their older forks (Blacks etc). The big plus is that price wise they’re semi-sensible which will only get better once the likes of CRC get hold of them.

The Pikes are popular, but I don’t get on with RS forks for some reason (I was about the only person who hated the original Pikes). The 15mm axle puts me off but that’s more because I have three bikes all with 20mm axles so can swap wheels if needed.

The Marzocchi 55 RC3ti get rave reviews but aren’t cheap and don’t often get discounted. If I was buying new, they’re be at the top of my list.

I run BOS Devilles which I bought second hand and really like them. They’re easy to service and you can use Fox 34 seals. The only issue may be if something serious goes pop. Performance wise I think they’re a good match for my CCDBa shock. They’re not quite as plush as the coil 36 Van RC2’s that they replaces but they’re lighter and are more controlled if a bit less stiff.

julians
    Free Member

Marz 55 RC3Ti’s are great forks, but a bit heavy compared to the pikes , but not heavy compared to other coil forks.

They’re amazingly supple over small stuff and soak up big stuff with ease,well controlled at speed, no diving over slow steps, should be reliable, and have the marzocchi 3 year no service required warranty. They’re a typical high quality coil fork really, cant go wrong with them.

CRC were selling them for £450 a couple of months back, dont know if they’re still around that price.

matther01
    Free Member

Have pikes and slants. Slants less stiff and need bedding…small bump sensitivity ain’t great at the mo after 8 hours of riding (but could also be set up).

Pikes plush out the box and stiffer…but I defo need some tokens.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘All mountain suspension forks: Which are best??’ is closed to new replies.