Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • All-mountain hardtail help please!
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

can't go wrong with a PA.

PJ266
    Free Member

One of my friends rode 100km off-road on a singlespeed Chameleon (Aberystwyth to Machynlleth and back) Whilst the other rider was on a 27 speed commencal meta 5. Comfort is quite subjective, choose something you like the look of, they'll all be friggin good to ride 😀

takisawa2

From experience:-
    Soul – Nice, flexy under a big heffer like me but not in a bad way, especially with a set of Pikes on. Like a short travel FS compared to…
    Pace 303 – Brilliant, hard ride, but not as bad as you'd think. Geometry suited to blasting singletrack. Bit "tense" for sitting back & mile munching on. Real Trail Centre bike.

Really keen to try an Orange P7. Sounds like my perfect bike.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I'm now 12 months in with my DB Prince Albert and I can't see me changing it any time soon. It's versatile enough to have run 130mm Bombers, 145mm Nixons and 160mm 36's. It's comfortable enough to ride hour after hour and goes downhill as quick as you need to on a hard tail.
    If I was in the market today I'd probably be choosing between the PA and the Blue Pig.

IdleJon

geoffj – Member
    Altitude in 853 although I'm not sure it handles well with anything longer than 100mm fork.

I run my Altitude 20 on 100mm travel most of the time, using the U-Turn to dial in 130mm if I'm on anything particularly technical eg the local DH trails. It handles anything that I can, and does it in a very composed manner.

As I've said in plenty of threads, this is the best all-round bike that I've owned for a long time – I wasn't expecting to be quite so pleased with it.

Radioman

Whats wrong with a Dialled Alpine. I think they climb well too. I know the "Overbiked Police" may say thats too much for "all mountain"/The UK etc etc. In my opinion the ultra short headtube makes it accept 140mm forks very well..still keeping the stem low enough for great climbing.
    I could easily use my 160mm Lyrics and still have a low enough stem for climbing. On my Alpine I had to put a 30mm spacer under it to make it just right for my 140mm Pikes. As far as weight goes I really dont notice it being heavy at all.

geoffj

Idle john agreed, I meant to say that it doesn't climb well with anything above a 100mm fork.

t-p26
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine, first hardtail on Trans Provence (proper all mountain) I seem to recall! 😀
    I was on PA, it didnt do to bad either..

paddyplumb
    Free Member

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it really helped me clarify exactly what I was after, and even consider options I had'nt even put on my shortlist.

I'm going to plump for the Genesis Altitude 30 frameset and build it up with my choice of components…so I'll need your help again!!!

This time it's fork choice. The Altitude geometry means it's limited to a maximum of 130mm so let's hear from you all. I was thinking about an ajustable Fox model but open to all options.

Also, what are the pros/cons of running a standard fork vs a bolt through axle as I have no experience of this type of fork.

Cheers for your help with this one.

Lee

marsdenman
    Free Member
    grumm
    Free Member

At the risk of starting another silly debate – isn't 'all-mountain' in the OP not really the right term if you prefer climbing to descending?

ianpinder
    Free Member

everyone who posts anything about the bike they own says good things.

No they don't I had a Dialled Bikes Alpine, I thought it was rubbish, (no offence Mike). Got a Prince Albert now, and feels much better.

Have you run out of large PAs mike?

Radioman

Each to his own Mr Pinder. I have just got back from a 3hr ride on my Dialled Alpine at Swinley & I think its great. Its the best hardtail I have owned.

That low top tube is a great idea. In my view the only competition would be the Evil bikes Sovereign that also has the dropped top tube. I have short legs! Handling is spot on for me, I climb the Alpine better than my old Cove Handjob too. I didnt think my Cove was rubbish either though, I just prefer the geometry on the Dialled. I think the toptube/wheelbase is longer which helps climbing and downhill stability..The only thing I might change if I had the choice on the Dialled is the colour. I would prefer it in white..

I don't think there really is a "best" hardtail for everyone. The most important thing is whether the particular frame "fits".

alpin
    Free Member

i find that my Alpine climbs well with the Lyrik dropped to 115mm. i've also got a fugly fancy stem that allows me to increase/reduce the stem length for long climbs. i thought the Alpine had a relatively short wheelbase, although it is a 15/21" frame. really wild bike on the downs and i find the short wheelbase to be a plus in tight techy spots. it does mean it can get a bit much at speed, though.

saladdodger
    Free Member

consider a 456 I paid £125 for mine, I have a Cotic Simple and it's great and I wanted a Soul as well but they cost too much

Bought a 456 instead and I am a happy bunny

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘All-mountain hardtail help please!’ is closed to new replies.