• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • All Mountain, Freeride – what bike…..
  • juan
    Free Member

I'd stay away from those Commencals: They are very flexy, and break too.

Yawwwn again. I have a meta 5.5 and locked out the back end isn't much more flexible than my HJ. And as for the 'they brake' they have a smaller failure rate than cotic.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Remedy for sure, mines been all over trail centres, deux alpes and dh trails as well as natural singletrack, copes with all perfectly, best ride I've had over 15 yrs of riding, ridden plenty of diff types and this one ticks all boxes, love it! Climbs well, descends better

mikey74
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I know quite a few people who have broken Commencals.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    walleater

I've know more broken Commencals than none broken ones.

Shandy
    Free Member

Commencals are lovely bikes, the contact system is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately they break and have a reputation for breaking. They are worth next to nowt second hand, I wouldn't buy another.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have a 2007 Meta 5.5, so does a mate. Another two have 2008 models and after 2+ years of riding in the alp, scotland, wales etc none have broke.

They are a seriously fun bike for the money/travel. Guess they are just not cool anymore!

grumm
    Free Member

Meta 5s are a great bike but they do definitely have a higher than average failure rate. Probably still not likely to be a problem but it was enough to put me off buying one.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I guess if your after a "freeride" bike there are tougher options out there.

juan
    Free Member

Guess they are just not cool anymore!

Yes it must be that. I have seen 2 broken commencal. One meta 6 broke by olive (as said in previous thread he has broke everything. From RM7 to stinky going through a race face turbine crank set). The second is a mini DH. The owner lent his bike to a friend of his very tall. Tall friend only leaves 2 cm of seat post inside the seat tube and start jumping and all. That's it. in no particular orders:
    François (LBS owner one) owns a meta 5
    Conan owns a meta 5
    Remy own a meta 5 carbon
    Olive owns a meta 5 carbone (not broken yet) and a mini DH
    Olivier (another one) owns a meta 6
    Gerard owns a meta 5
    Michel owns françois previous meta 6
    Phillip owns a meta 5
    I own remy's previous meta 5
    Floriant owns a meta 6
    From the top of my head that's all. Bikes go through this type of treatment twice a week on average.
    http://www.megavideo.com/?v=KZPB6652
    and then that
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-look-what-ive-found-on-the-tinterweb
    None have broken yet…

retro83
    Free Member

2008 meta 5 here, great bike. It was mostly the 2009 models which broke wasn't it?

Shandy
    Free Member

Its nothing to do with "being cool".

They're not cheap frames and the 09 Metas had a massive failure rate compared to the competition. Like I said I really enjoyed mine but the second hand value is abysmal. I had the Meta frame 2 years and sold it for 20% of the new price – that is a big kick in the balls when you are funding a replacement.

Sancho
    Free Member

Tranny v 516Out of these two I am fancying the tranny

RHSno2
    Free Member

My meta 6 is fantastic and no breaks yet…but I ride like a girl 😉

nasher
    Free Member

yeti asr 7 with the new fox 180mm (talas)

i am seriously considering one of these especailly when the french importer waved one in front of me!!!!

juan
    Free Member

i am seriously considering one of these especailly when the french importer waved one in front of me!!!!

LOL why am I not surprised Poulet will do something like that …

RHS right you have the right bike for the job So now get your ass down here… That's an order in case you haven't noticed 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘All Mountain, Freeride – what bike…..’ is closed to new replies.