Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • All in one Hi-fi solutions
  • Pieface

I want to consolidate my huge seperates into a single box on a limited budget..

I have seen some Nice Marantz and a special deal on a NAD unit, although the NAD is underpowered and the Marantz is over budget.

I would like something that combines DVD, Radio and Amp. Extras to consider would be DAB, Blu-ray and the ability to run a second set of speakers in another room. A USB port would be good as well.

I’ve looked at Richer sounds and Superfi, but is there anywhere else to consider?

Otherwise, how well would an all-in-one home cinema package do for music? I’m not bothered about home cinema as I don’t have a room big enough to make it worthwhile, and its all about space saving.

Budget is up to £400 (max). Better off trying eBay?

pancake
    Free Member

Linn Classik ? Some on fleabay at mo

Pieface

Looks like good kit, but seems a bit basic for the price – I’m sure its a brilliant piece of kit but I don’t listen to music that regularly.

CountZero

What makes you say the NAD is underpowered? It’s not all about Watts, it’s also about current delivery, Amps. Valve amps traditionally don’t go much above twenty five Watts, but they produce quite a lot of current, and will go much louder than you would imagine. Think of it in terms of horsepower and torque. A relatively ‘low-powered’ amp with a large power transformer will happily drive the neighbours nuts. A good pair of fairly sensitive speakers and you ought to have all you need.

Pieface

The NAD is 2×20 watts, my current Cambridge amp is 2×25 and is a bit lacking. I do concede that the NAD watts may be more than the Cambridge ones, and also the speaker switch unti may lose some amps along the way…

The thing about the NAD is its £400 off (seems too good to be true), which i think is down to it being non-DAB / Blu-ray and of clearnace stock.

Pieface

I’ll check out the Amps.

What denotes sensitivity in speakers, is it Ohms?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus NADs have that ‘soft-clipping’ thing – I would try the NAD myself.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m after a similar thing but with a lower budget (sorry for the hijack!).

Budget about £300 incl speakers. For music solely – CD is a must. Ability to shove an iPod dock in nice. Radio/DAB not too bothered about and heres the odd one… ability to plug a turntable into it would be most welcome!

Any ideas? As above, looked on Richer etc but not too sure what I should be looking at.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

2nd hand I reckon – maybe an old NAD 3020 which will have a turntable input.

If you have a laptop with a PC-CARD slot then an Echo Indigo soundcard is an excellent quality DAC so you can use you laptop for a CD player and internet radio/BBC iplayer. And you could connect your iPod and play from that.

You would have to spend > £1000 on a CD player to better it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘All in one Hi-fi solutions’ is closed to new replies.