Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 337 total)
  • all hail the return of the king (rugby content)
  • anagallis_arvensis

Thats because at their best all three are pretty much world class players.

backhander
    Free Member

Delusional – I said they could be the best.

really? It maybe me but this;

Aussies, Kiwis and maybe the French might get close to it

Came across as a firm belief.
    I'm certainly no england football fan but it must be said that they pretty much always make it out of the group stage in world class competitions by whatever margin. In any case, I didn't intend the comparison to be insulting.
    A couple of things I don't get, you seem to be pointing at the back row as the main culprits of under performance yet many welsh fans have been singing the praises of M.williams and Jones (who I like) and some have even tried to convince me that powell belongs on an international pitch!
    Also, you say that 12 is a problem, isn't that where hook's been playing? Don't you like him any more?

anagallis_arvensis

Hook has played 13 with Roberts at 12, Roberts cant pass or kick which with Jones at 10 is a problem. If you look at a first choice Wales 15 the front row is strong, locks with the emergence of Bradley Davis is fine, back row of Williams, Jones and Powell is the obvious weak point. Jones is a 6 playing at 8 who is not dynamic enough with ball in hand, Williams is looking increasingly past it or certainly needs a hard grafting 6 alongside him, in reality he has Powell who is a decent 8 playing 6 and as such doesnt ruck well. Its bizare why Jones and Powell arent switched. Or we have J Thomas who has played lock all season for the Ospreys and isnt much cop. None of the welsh backrow are close to world class, unlike say the back three, midfield has an under utilised Roberts, Phillips is very good in the half backs, AWJ is right up there at lock and is Gethin brilliant in the front row.

and some have even tried to convince me that powell belongs on an international pitch!

Like the Lions selection panel? He does deserve it as he is the best Wales have whilst not all that great

backhander
    Free Member

Powell who is a decent 8

While I agree with most of what you have said, I've gotta pull you on this. He's not a decent anything and I'd sooner have jones playing 8 even if he had a broken arm, one boot and an eye patch!

anagallis_arvensis

so the Lions selectors know less than you? Charged with simply taking the ball and running fast into people he is very good, wales lack any ball carriers other than Roberts and so he becomes somewhat crucial. He would be much less use in a team like england or NZ (or well anyone really who have plenty of big carriers).

I seem to remember him bitch slapping the South Africans in contact and getting man of the match not that long ago.

backhander
    Free Member

The sun shines on even a dogs ass some days. I'll agree to disagree on this one. I think he's constantly isolated, hits well below his weight and just a liability really.

anagallis_arvensis

apparently he still hasnt been to training 😥

in other news backhanders favourite backrower is going to Wasps

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8811293.stm

backhander
    Free Member

Can't see him getting much time at number 8 with the form that ward-smith has been showing. Betsen and Worsley aren't getting any younger so I can see the need for new blood. With Rees at open and DWS at 8 I suppose the mong could do something on the blind. We'll see I suppose.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate but I think gavs been cheating on you a_a, he's been spotted with yet another air-headed, fame hungry bimbo;

He's lost a lot of weight hasn't he?

hels
    Free Member

Opened this thread as I thought maybe Sean Fitzpatrick might be back in action. Huge disappointment…

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Ah Yes, good ol' Fitzty. Mrs Curtis is a Kiwi, and to them, Fitzty is a hero. I tend to agree. A real rugby player, not an attention seeking media whore.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fitz? Well, he was alright, but no Pinetree.

Then again, he was no JPR, either! And don't even start me on the Viet Gwent!

anagallis_arvensis

Fitzy was good but Micheal Jones was easily the best NZ player of that era even if he didnt play on a sunday.

anagallis_arvensis

😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Well I can say I would bum him :wink:, awesome player who really winds some people up. Backhander, Hunk a hunk of Irish love being two. Better all round player than Wilkinson that doesn't even need saying. Wilko is a one trick pony if ever there was one. Tindall ???? now that is funny 🙂

I think he is fragile mentally and needs to grow up, will he ever attain his potential? No I dont think so but I am bloody glad he is coming back.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats it the perma tanned tosser can **** OFF

69er
    Free Member

all hail the return of the king

[/b]
    I hope there's some Southern Hemisphere STW'ers having a good laugh at this…

I'm embarrased for you aa.

Admit it, you just fancy him. There, all done.

DezB
    Free Member

Thats it the perma tanned tosser can **** OFF

What's he done? Turned you down?

Talking of rugby – how good has the Tri Nations been? Last Saturday's match has to be one of the all time best.

anagallis_arvensis

What's he done? Turned you down?

Its worse than that he's doing strictly come dancing!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Dez B apart from woeful defence it was a great game. Loathe the boks and happy to see them humbled, god help us all if they ever get the coaching problems sorted out.

Pigface
    Free Member

a-a look at it like this, he is doing some kind of physical exercise 🙄 what the f u c k is he playing at, he will look back on his career when he is older and say to himself I really screwed things up.

anagallis_arvensis

Biggest waste of talent since George Best, its going to mean he misses another world cup. What is it something like 15 6 nations starts, 15 wins and two grandslams.

anagallis_arvensis

on the plus side Wales are always trying to think of new ways to respond to the Haka:

backhander
    Free Member

Pigface, why do you think Henson winds me up?
    I have stated that I think he's an incredible rugby player, just not (or anywhere near) THE KING of rugby.
    Better at centre than wilko? of course. Better at Standoff? no chance.
    I think you're being a bit harsh on him, it's crossed my mind that maybe he needs the money now ms Church is gone? I hope that is not the case and that he's just doing it for a laugh and to get laid. Of course I'd rather see him playing rugby.

anagallis_arvensis

Better at centre than wilko? of course. Better at Standoff? no chance.

The very sad thing is as a rugby player he is far more talented than wilkinson. His goal kicking was as good and kicking from hand was better, his passing was always better as was his running ability, in 2005 he had the world at his feet and then his groin went and he was never the same. In 2008 he had bulked up and slowed down and reinvented himself as a boshing 12 with good hands but he wasnt able to run freely or kick from hand or ground.

Still no excuse for being on that shite **** programme, I blame the **** what watch it, if it wasnt for them he'd be back playing rugby…… remours are he may be joining the London Pests in Jan (direst replacement for the tranny shagger!!)

backhander
    Free Member

Another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on a-a. Both good in different ways. For the most part wilko was a far better place kicker than henson and better in defence before henson bulked up. Of course he never had the pace or ability to ruin defences like henson did.
    It seems (sadly) that they are both has beens now so I'm not going to bother arguing the toss.
    Mind you, if henson sticks 5 tries on NZ at the WC next year, I'm sure you'll forgive him.

IdleJon

"Both good in different ways" I agree.

Henson suited a Welsh way of playing far more than JW, but I couldn't envisage Gav playing in a typical English team and succeeding in looking good – if that makes any sense at all?

Pigface – Member
    Dez B apart from woeful defence it was a great game. Loathe the boks and happy to see them humbled, god help us all if they ever get the coaching problems sorted out.

Again I agree about the Boks, although I tend to prefer the SA teams during the S14. Apparently Jake White and Eddie Jones have offered to replace De Villiers immediately if invited.

anagallis_arvensis

I couldn't envisage Gav playing in a typical English team and succeeding in looking good – if that makes any sense at all?

no it doesnt make sense if Trundle, Noon, Toby Flood, Oily Barclay and numerous other players could play for england I'm fairly sure Gavin Henson in 2005 or 2008 form could tango (see what I did there) his way into the England team.

backhander
    Free Member

I don't think that was what he was saying. No doubt he'd get into the England team but would not have had the opportunity to shine as he does in the welsh team who have a more open style (IMO).

IdleJon

As usual you miss the point completely where Gav's concerned a_a!

anagallis_arvensis

I think you have rather missed the point about what he provided as a player and also about how wales won the grandsalm in 2008, it wasnt based on open attacking play at all.

Coasting
    Free Member

Ah the Gr8 Michael Jones now we’re really talking of rugby gods and not ponsy wannabee’s

DezB
    Free Member

Was he talking the truth when he said today that what he missed most from home was his special mirror?
    He’s such an utter pillock it really is hard to tell!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

henson- bags of talent and promise, Has never consistently delivered to be considered a top player. In the last 18 months he has let the ospreys down completely,abandoned wales and become absorbed in his own self importance. He has only ever played 2 or 3 good games for wales so I wouldnt consider him world class.

As a wales supporter i would compare how Henson and Wilkinson have handled their injury setbacks. I would have to say Jonny has been a complete professional, Whilst Gavlar has been a self obsessed and self pitying vacuous fool.

He’s also never out of trouble in the media, gobbing off in cardiff or on the train. If he’s ever to earn his place back for Wales he needs to perform consistently in the Premiership for 6 months and quit whingeing about how hard his life is..

Respect and reputations are earnt. He has never been a consistent player for Wales or the Ospreys, has gone AWOL for 18 months and dumped on his club that have supported him through his hard times. I will never respect the Guy and if you compare him to a true welsh great like Grav there simply is No comparison.

One or two good performances do not make him the King, just a pretender to the throne!

doof_doof
    Free Member

I hope there’s some Southern Hemisphere STW’ers having a good laugh at this…

Rest assured, we’re laughing. Mind you, the autumn internationals are usually a bit of a joke anyway. Looking forward to seeing Sonny Bill Williams unleashed on the Northern Hemisphere teams.

anagallis_arvensis

He has only ever played 2 or 3 good games for wales so I wouldnt consider him world class

He has played at least 8 games for wales where he was very very good, hence the two grandslams. Not world class true, not played consistently to the level he is capable, but to say he has only played 2 or 3 good games for wales shows a complete an utter lack of understanding of the game and what Henson does. And I fail to see how the ospreys who werent paying him and refused to let him leave were helping anyone but themselves and certainly werent supporting him. If you listen to any of the words uttered by Ospreys coaches in the last year they always say they were not in touch with him

anagallis_arvensis

anway henson is old news Sonny Bill is my new man crush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2JTcLNNco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQapoEU6VJA

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was looking forward to seeing him buried in Thomond Park along with the rest of ’em. Sorry to see it’s not gonna happen. 😉

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

So gavlar won both grandslams by himself did he, utter crap! He is very gifted, possibly the most gifted welsh player of the last 20 years but to be great you have to deliver week in week out. Like henson, 2008 and 2005 have been flash in the plan. Great teams and players win year in year out. yes wales are a better side with a fully fit Gavin Henson but he is so inconsistent you have to move forward without him because he is completely unreliable. So what he tackled a prepubescent Noon and Tait and kicked that goal. he is rugby’s eqivalent of Wayne Rooney and most welsh fans don’t share your views. Of course I’d love him to prove everyone wrong and become a consistently great player but i just cant see it. If he remains Wales’ great hope then we are doomed. He has not grown up since he was sent off against LLanelli as a 18 year old, moans about how hard his lot is and he has lost the respect of most serious rugby fans.

As far as I can see the Ospreys management have fully supported his “sick leave” until he tried to tart himself to English clubs via the Media. I accept he has been unlucky with injuries but that’s rugby. he’s been very priveleged as an Ospreys and Wales player but all he can do is moan about his lot in life. Reality check needed Gav.

i’m sorry but I’m with Brian Moore on the Gavin Henson issue

anagallis_arvensis

So gavlar won both grandslams by himself did he, utter crap

true and not what I said, but he has played far more than one or two good games for Wales, in fact a sub appearance with lack of game time against ireland and a shambolic performance at 15 against South Africa I cant think of any poor games he’s played for wales.

Stop reading headlines and watch some games, preferably when sober. Do you think gatland is so taken with him for no reason?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 337 total)

The topic ‘all hail the return of the king (rugby content)’ is closed to new replies.