Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • All day riding (road) – Ideal clothing advice – Gilet / Gabba-type jersey?
  • SkillWill
    Free Member

I have a couple of long days in the saddle in early May and am thinking of the ideal clothing for it, and want it to be versatile and useful for the rest of the year.

There’s been a lot of chat about the Gabba jersey, with armwarmers I can see it’s useful for a pro doing a wet race, but I can’t help but think for a cool day with occasional showers, you’d be better off in a gilet with arm-warmers.

I have a decent warm jacket for the winter, and I’m thinking of buying the Castelli Fawesome gilet which would be of use for 3 seasons I think. There’s a lot of chat about the Gabba at the moment but it seems a less flexible bit of kit to me.

What would people be wearing on a couple of long days in early May (start at 5am finish at 7pm)?

The-Beard

Arm warmers and a gilet! About as versatile as you can get. Probably also go for knee warmers too and pack a buff in a jersey pocket for if it gets cold/when stopped.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If I know that’s it’s never going to get above, say, 10 degrees then I tend to go with a lightweight jacket, like the Endura FS260 Jetstream, and a base. I tried the Gabba and the fit wasn’t quite there.

If it will get warmer than that then armwarmers + gilet, as said. I run Sportful NoRain or Rapha armwarmers, and Campag gilets.

crikey
    Free Member

Probably me going on about the Gabba jacket; it’s a favourite bit of kit.

It seems to cover a wide enough range of temperatures, but I have been caught out a couple of times and been too hot and too cold. Reasonably versatile when used as a short sleeve with arm warmers, and a gilet will fit over the top for extra warmth.

Seems to be ok from 2-3 degrees up to about 10.

Riding for that length of time my choice would depend on the weather; there is the potential to dress up for the early start and spend all day carrying stuff you’ve taken off, but if it never really warms up, you could be cold all day if you don’t take enough.

I’d look at the weather and decide on what to wear, aiming to dress for the bulk of the day, and taking a thin wind/waterproof for the chilly start.

For crappy English weather from September to March, I think the Gabba jackets are a really good bit of kit, but I live in the North where it is reportedly grim… For wet, relatively quick riding it’s my recommendation.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have seen your comments about the gabba a lot crikey and am sure it’s excellent! I live and ride down south most of the time and it just doesn’t rain that much to be honest. If it’s raining when I leave and due to rain all day I think I would be looking to wear a jacket, for a cool day with possible showers I think a gilet and arm and leg warmers would be a more flexible set up. Can even be wearing the gilet over the jersey on early start summer rides and then stash it, so for me it’s probably a better buy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘All day riding (road) – Ideal clothing advice – Gilet / Gabba-type jersey?’ is closed to new replies.