• This topic has 76 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • All day Fog Lamps!
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

My Seat Leon has fog lights that come on when I turn into a corner. I have no idea how to turn it off

Neil-F
    Free Member

Grimy = Troll.
    Or perhaps just a complete fud. 🙄
    I can picture you driving, jeez it scares me.
    Front foggies aren’t governed by the MOT, so basically they can point all over the place. To say they can help other fuds to find potholes in Fudville (where you obviously drive)well I nearly laughed! In fact, I can’t believe I’m even responding to your blatant trolling! 😆

Retro fitted “HID” type headlights, are much worse for dazzliness. These should be banned and the car crushed.
    Dark = switch lights on.
    Not dark = Switch lights off.
    Foggy (very) = Switch foglights on.
    not foggy = Switch foglights off, or don’t switch them on.
    there, nice and simple kids. 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t the clue for the use of FOG lamps in the name? Otherwise they’d be called FUD lamps

Grimy
    Free Member

Grimy = Troll

😀

Maybe….

grahamh
    Free Member

Question to all those that insist on driving with their fog lights on all the time.
    Do you drive with you windscreen wipers going all the time, even when it’s not raining?

Drac

Do you drive with you windscreen wipers going all the time, even when it’s not raining?

Yeah mine are on all the time why?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Neil F, Im pretty sure that if a car is fitted with any light as stadard, it must be working for the purpose of the MOT.

Anyway front fogs on = look at me
    Rear fogs on = I’ve haven’t actually got a clue when to use them, so I’ll put them on if its a little murky just to be safe. Never mind the poor sod who has now lost his night vision because of the glare and just driven through a pothole as a result.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Yeah mine are on all the time why?
    Obviously that was aimed at those from North of Watford where it never stops raining. 😆

bigG
    Free Member

My wipers are on all the time, the sensor tells them when to actually swipe across the screen mind you.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, I never know when I need to put my wipers on. 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m all for front side/dipped beam/fogs all the time, like Scandinavia has had for 30+ years. Although I agree, the front fogs thing is probably predominantly more down to a ‘look cool’ thing on the part of those drivers than any sense of wanting to be better seen by other road users, otherwise they’d just use side lights/dipped beam.
    I do get slightly wound up by lazy rear fogs users. People who just switch them on and leave them on, even tho me in the car behind can obviously see them without their need to use of fogs. I guess some people can’t cope with driving their car and switching their rear fogs on and off appropriately, or they just don’t think. In the whole scheme of things, it’s all not that big a deal tho, really.

Drac

Yup same here bigG, I was very sceptical by them but they really are very good.

tonyg2003

Front fog lights to see potholes? Very funny…… next reason for why people have their fog lights on?

This phenomenon had never bothered me. What about all those damn Volvos that always had their headlamps on?…..no me neither.

Auto wipers, auto dipping mirrors, auto lights, auto distance cruise control, two pedals… All good if they work as intended and let you concentrate on the (potholed) road ahead

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do they still make cars without automatic wipers ? !

It reminds of how Renault were still producing R4s without self-cancelling indicators well into the 1980s.

shotsaway
    Free Member

The Volkswagen Group’s “static cornering lights” uses a separate bulb within the fog light casing and a reflector that points the light at a 35 degree angle.

The static cornering lights work when the vehicle lights are on and when you either turn the steering wheel or indicate at speeds of less than either 10 mph or 10 kph.

nwilko
    Free Member

Fog lights on without FOG = IDIOT.
    Inconsiderate of oncoming traffic,
    Inconsiderate of following traffic,
    and a complete TWUNT hwho believes their car looks better with stupid fogs on, normally accompanied by only using sidelights..

If you cant be bothered to drive within the rules of the road, do the decent thing and hand your licence in at the nearest police station OR GROW UP.

angeldust
    Free Member

I never use my fog lights unless visibility is low. I do this for one reason = it’s the law. Simple.

However, I have never been blinded by fog lights in the way that full beam main lighs can dazzle you. They are too low and not bright enough. Do they really blind people, or are you just annoyed that other drivers are not obeying the rules when you are? BTW I have perfect vision!

angryratio
    Free Member

tends to be taxis who have a main bulb off running fogs in fair weather

cheers_drive

Front fog lights are nowhere as bad a xenon headlights, I can’t see how they are legal as they are so dazzling, especialy on 4x4s. Rear fog lights are worse,especially if they are near the brake lights as it’s harder to spot braking cars, hardly dazzling though.

I find it a little odd that people are getting dazzled by a 55w fog lamp that points at the floor and are absolutely fine with 55w headlights that point directly at them.

Mardy bums.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m wondering if people actually know what Fog lights are?

nwilko
    Free Member

the fact that the bulb is focused so heavily at the road is the problem,
    when driving towards it in the dark you have a large area of harshly illuminated road moving towards you, if the road is anything but totally dry this is reflected straight at the on coming traffic.
    which is the very reason there not meant to be used in anything but reduced visibility.

Seems to be 2 types of Fog users the deliberate ones that also seem to drive both dangerously and discourteously in other respects and the stupid people that cant remember they turned them on 2weeks ago.
    So Fog light users, which are you ?

Drac

I’m number 3, the one that uses them when necessary and then switches them off again.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My Seat Leon has fog lights that come on when I turn into a corner. I have no idea how to turn it off

Don’t turn corners?

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve experimented with fog lights vs. headlights in foggy conditions over the years and can’t see any advantage in fog lights, they are as useless as a sunroof so I never spec them when I get a new car; I’d rather spend the lolly on heated seats. This year I have a new VW, which has daylight running lights and I have switched them off as I don’t want to look like a muppet.

So you don’t want to be seen globalti? Heated seats – nesh!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

a big problem with rear fog lights is that they are often pretty close to the brake lights and so reduce the contrast change when the brakes are applied.

Drac

I drive in conditions that most people wouldn’t even venture out on foot it in, front fogs have there uses they do what they’re supposed to do and shine low down to give some better visibility. Very handy when you’re wanting to drive at speed. Rears are good for being spotted in, people who don’t use them in bad conditions really are hard to see.

Fronts have come as standard with my last few cars of about 15 years or more, I like the daylight running lights it’s only the side lights so increasing your chances of being seen without dazzling other users. I miss my heated seats had them on the last 3 but not this one, and when I ordered my new one a few months back I couldn’t justify adding them. Stuck with my current one for a little longer anyway as my new one isn’t ready.

SiB
    Free Member

I want some fog lights for my bike, front and rear. And keep them switched on forever

Always makes me chuckle how some people get so worked up about trivial matters on STW……are people the same on other forums? Makes me wonder whats missing in their lives to get so worked up over something so petty. Or are you all just trolling?

A work mate wasnt able to ride to work today and he’s a tad sensitive/touchy/grumpy/argumentative today…….maybe you all need to get out for a ride in the beautiful weather? But be careful if it gets foggy

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m wondering if people actually know what Fog lights are?

There are many many people who don’t even know what indicators are, so I don’t expect they’re particularly clued up on much else in their car.

Although I exepct they’re experts with the really really important driver aids like the radio & iPod connectivity 🙄

cheburashka
    Free Member

Since when have front fog lights been ‘aimed down at the road’? They’re deliberately diffuse – so that people can see you coming through fog.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The issue is that fog lights aren’t tested for alignment in the MOT AFAIK.

The result it that FOG lights tend to dazzle, when misaligned or and aligned and its wet.

It shows that the driver hasn’t much grip on his/her environment either so steer clear.
    If people need to be seen at day then use DRSLs or headlights. That what they’re there for!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I only use mine as code to other doggers.

stgeorge

Since when have front fog lights been ‘aimed down at the road’? They’re deliberately diffuse – so that people can see you coming through fog.

9/10 for that one, even better than the pothole reason!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I have foglamps and driving lamps in the front bumper.

Had one guy moan till I switched my fogs on as he couldn’t tell the difference lol

footflaps

My Golf has fog lights built into the light cluster and they are tilted down and only illuminate the immediate road in front of the car. I normally put them on with the headlights as it fills in the foreground under the main beams and better for spotting pot holes etc.

Moe

You should all be grateful, try living in an area full of Americans! 🙄

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘All day Fog Lamps!’ is closed to new replies.