Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • All cycle racing at the MK Bowl/National Arena
  • oldgit
    Free Member

If entrepreneur Pete Winkleman gets his hands on this venue will it mean the end to all cycle racing there?
    If that was the case it would put a huge dent in the racing calender for cyclist around the region.
    I hosts in excess of 30 road races a year, several rounds of CX and a few rounds of the local XC. As well as a base for Go-Cycle and weekly youth training.
    So does anyone know anything?

It’s such a shame cycling wasn’t growing in popularity. Or perhaps if we had a few cyclists that could shine as well as our National football team we might be going forward.

Jase
    Free Member

In its current guise it wouldn’t be suitable for a football training facility so they would have to bulldoze it all to make way for all the facilities required, so yes that would mean the end of cycling there.

However, MK Council have an obligation to provide a traffic free cycling facility and therefore if they stick to this it could be good for cycling in MK and result in a better purpose built site.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Could always race in his garden at Linford Manor….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    movingslowly
    Free Member

MK Council have an obligation to provide a traffic free cycling facility

Do they? I’d be interested to hear more about this…do you know where I can find details?

Jase
    Free Member

Was told last week by one of the Team MK coaches.

jameso

MK Council have an obligation to provide a traffic free cycling facility

They’ll probably just point at the redways then )

hammerite
    Free Member

I know MKCA are looking at organising or getting clubs to put on more local races on the open road. But I think this is in addition to the current MK Bowl races as there isn’t a lot of open road racing in the Central region.

I race at the Bowl regularly, it’d be a shame if it went – more for the variety of events. Personally I’d probably favour a dedicated closed road circuit over racing when they “open the gates” at the Bowl! As I always seem to struggle. Hopefully something can be done if the use of the Bowl for cycling is in jeopardy.

This looks interesting Harcourt Hill but a bit of a trek for me compared to MK.

oldgit
    Free Member

I love it there ‘Gates open’. Anyway Harcourt looks interesting. What about that Beds circuit any mileage in that?
    Personally I’m worried about the vets racing, with MK gone I’d have to take half days off to race evenings. I’m a bit too old for BC racing.
    Hey ho.

hammerite
    Free Member

No interest from the owners to do anything with the circuit round here. We had two ear marked and both said no.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘All cycle racing at the MK Bowl/National Arena’ is closed to new replies.