Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alkalizing foods?
  • justatheory
    Free Member

My friend has started an alkaline food diet. The diet sounds healthy but I suspect not for the reasons he thinks. When he was explaining the theory being the diet, it sounded all a bit Gillian McKeith to me ie pure pseudoscientific nonsense.

Anyone heard of this? Is it baloney?

Cougar

From Wikipedia, emphasis mine.

The Alkaline diet… is a diet based on the scientifically unsupported theory that certain foods, when consumed, leave an alkaline residue, or ash.

So yes, it’s cock. Further reading.

atparry

Considering your stomach is very acidic nothing is going to be alkaline !

Complete BS

IHN

an alkaline food diet

From that phrase alone, I deduce that it is a load of old c0ck.

When a heathy diet is not exactly rocket science (not too much fat, not too much sugar, no too much salt, lots of fresh fruit and veg etc) why is that so many people believe in these wonder-diets?

jonba
    Free Member

Personally I’d just recommend a good basic diet.

😉 for the chemists

finbar
    Free Member

I love niche diets backed up by selective interpretation of science and consipiracy theories more than practically anyone, and even i’m not convinced.

justatheory
    Free Member

Found out this diet was dreamed up by a Robert O. Young, D.Sc, Ph.D, who received several degrees from Clayton College of Natural Health, a now defunct unaccredited distance learning school. ‘Dr’ Young has not published any research in recognized scientific journals, and none of his graduate degrees are from accredited educational institutions.

Convenitently he has his own website selling ‘alkalising’ products and books.

I guess the moral of the story is if in doubt go to the source.

TheFlyingOx

Hang on. Before the mudslinging starts, it is imperitive that we know whether it’s an alkalising diet or an alkanising diet. Just so we know what brand of mud to sling.

Horsefeathers.

justatheory
    Free Member

Hang on. Before the mudslinging starts, it is imperitive that we know whether it’s an alkalising diet or an alkanising diet. Just so we know what brand of mud to sling.

Well spotted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alkalizing foods?’ is closed to new replies.