Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • Alistair Carmichael, catspaw or lying toad.
  • gordimhor

The papers have been filed.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And the people behind the action have been warned not to say anything, so it may go quiet for a while.

epicyclo

It will be good if it works.

Might bring a bit of decency into the way politics is done.

A bit of a shame for Carmichael in that he has done some good stuff in the past. Sadly the LibDems really descended into the shitpot of nasty politics in their coalition years.

duckman

steady now we are mocking AS for something that happened months ago

The ability of some England dwelling RW to get worked up by AS is limitless and hilarious as well

POSTED 18 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Ftfy

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think it’s a long shot that the legal challenge will result in a by-election, we shall see in a few months

On AS “economical with the truth” and the “art of politics” just demonstrates that he’s every bit a part of the political elite as anyone else in Westminster or Holyrood.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we both missed out relentless as well Duckman

Like a STW swiss tony there is no subject they cannot answer with a reference to AS

epicyclo

Apparently Paul Flynn (Labour MP) intends to drag Heywood before the Public Administration Select Committee (he’s a long standing member) to find out why the inquiry took so long to complete.

He feels the inquiry was purposely delayed for political reasons.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve seen a lot of comment about Alec Salmond. In the interest of clarity I’ve stolen this from a comment on WoS…

…………………………………………………..

“The point I made was that Salmond was NOT asked if he had EU legal advice but as the Rev Stu shows above : –

“NEIL: Have you sought advice from your own Scottish law officers in this matter?

He was asked if he had legal advice from his own Scottish Law Officers.

As Salmond made the reply, “We have, yes, in terms of the debate”.

He not only gave the correct answer to the question but then told Neil where that information was published in the public domain.

So anyone accusing Salmond of telling porkies quite obviously cannot read or understand basic English.

How the hell can asking if he had legal advice from his own Legal team be interpreted by these idiots as being asked if he had advice from the EU?

Isn’t it amazing so many supposedly highly trained Journalists and government ministers fail to be able to understand English? I listened to that interview live and there was no mention of EU legal advice.”

……………………………………………..

I would add – it seems to be co-ordinated, why is no-one asking who’s been jerking their chains?

epicyclo

Interesting article from Orkney

BTW over £50,000 raised now.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Today is a significant date in the legal action, a deadline for Mr Carmichael to act, or something like that.

And today the appeal passed £60k.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Update on the legal case: there will be a hearing in Edinburgh, Thurs.

Northwind

I don’t think the legal action will go anywhere but it’s largely served to make the lib dems unelectable for even longer, since at the exact moment they needed to start rebuilding trust and confidence, they proved themselves untrustworthy again. Absurd really and sad, and bad for the country.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

In case anyone is interested, the Orkney four have re-opened their appeal. They feel further legal costs will arise. Details are on Bella Caledonia.

Northwind

I was going to contribute, but I got distracted by Realise Minath Tirith.

mucker

Vomit.

null

duckman

Lying toad it was then! You would think he would have had the sense to keep his pus shut afterwards,he will be finished

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, he’s a liar. No doubt about that. But because he didn’t specifically say he wasn’t a liar, he gets away with it. Just.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

He lied. The system thinks he didn’t lie enough to be kicked out. The voters of Orkney will probably show a different viewpoint. He’s about killed the LibDems chances in May.

jambalaya
    Free Member

He won’t have to face the voters till May 2020, a lot can happen between now and then. Every chance it’s a Lib-Dem hold with a new candidate or even him. It was stupid to lie about the note, he didn’t even write it and leaking stuff to the press happens all the time. Lying about it is a crime but it really didn’t impact the result so the court reached the right decision. Holyrood elections will be an SNP triumph which is perfect as they can’t blame anyone else for Scotland’s problems – but they will

davieg
    Free Member

He’s finished, but has fours years to serve out first and top up his pension.

We expect politicians to be economical with the truth and spin their message, but this was such a blunt and “shitily” placed lie. It goes beyond party politics no matter what he thinks.

He knew what he was doing and has gotten away with it. Is he hoping / expecting, a seat in the Lords when his time is up?

epicyclo

He’s certainly buggered up the chances of the LibDems in the Scottish elections.

The only way they might (just might) save the situation is for them to expel him.

I’m sure he’ll be eventually rewarded with a seat in the HoL. It seems to be the place for the scum of the political world.

matt_outandabout

Frustrating to say the least.

Another reason folk are fed up of politicians.

I also think he will blindly serve out his four years, then be awarded seat in the Lords. Grrrr.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lying about it is a crime but it really didn’t impact the result so the court reached the right decision

The court actually ruled it was a lie 🙄 how could they rule otherwise as everyone knows he was lying about leaking it….dearly me jamby 😯

In its final decision, the court agreed with Carmichael’s lawyer, Roddy Dunlop QC, that the case before them hinged on the precise wording of the petition to the court, which referred only to Carmichael’s interview with Channel 4 News and did not complain about any other parts of his conduct.

In that interview, Carmichael was not asked whether he had leaked the memo but whether he had known that it existed. He lied about his knowledge of its existence but not about his role in leaking it.

The judges said that lie was designed to protect his own and his party’s political interests, but they had reasonable doubt that this lie was designed to protect Carmichael’s personal character and conduct – the key test under section 106 of the 1983 act.

The judges concluded: “Ultimately, [Carmichael’s] unimpressive response to the inquiry, although showing him in a bad light, and resulting in his constituents being initially misled and then justifiably shocked and dismayed on discovering that they had been so misled, cannot alter our conclusion that section 106 does not, on a proper application of the law to the facts proved, apply in this case.”

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Lying about it is a crime but it really didn’t impact the result so the court reached the right decision

He had a majority of 817. You really think that if his lies had been exposed before the election, it couldn’t have changed the result? He obviously thought it could, that’s why he cynically used the investigation to delay his admission til after the election.

The really sad thing is the party’s response imo. It’s like they don’t want to rebuild public confidence.

br
    Free Member

He had a majority of 817

Seems at odds with the ‘wouldn’t impact the result’ decision…, hmmm.

scoob67
    Free Member

There won’t be another referendum for at least a generation.

Fooled you, we were kidding/lying.

kcal

I think Rennie is misguided in defending him TBH.
    Serious detachment from how the general (voting) public view it.

Talk about giving themselves a bad name..

epicyclo

Apparently it’s cost him about £150,000 in legals.

I wonder what are his chances of getting all of this back.

scotroutes

I think he’s planning to retrieve his legal costs from the complainants. This will only reinforce his standing as an odious shit

slowoldgit
    Free Member
    duckman

I don’t know where Jambalaya gets the idea that his 800 majority wouldn’t be impacted by people knowing about his actions. Could that be the 5th time he is wrong since STW started?

Junkyard
    Free Member

STeady on with such untruths

Jambyfacts are never wrong as shown by the fact he was wrong on that thread

IMHO I thought that was him just taing the piss and proof he was just trolling the hell out of us as not even he is that “detached”

I call him a troll tbh as what he says and reality are some distance apart

FWIW one can have opinions but only jamby wants to have opinions about facts

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think he’s planning to retrieve his legal costs from the complainants. This will only reinforce his standing as an odious shit

Absolutely he should apply for costs, it’s up to the court to decide if he should be awarded them. The folk bringing the action did so at no cost to them (crowd funded) and where well aware of the potential financial downside if they lost. Those that donated to the crowd funding should stump up for costs if awarded

Orkney didn’t want the SNP. He didn’t write the piece. The court ruled it didn’t impact the result. Its absoutely in the SNPs interest to have a Tory government as it plays to their independence strategy and Westminster “elite” messaging

As per various blogs Salmonds lies about getting legal advice on Scotland’s EU status is much more significant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I go for three blatant lies jambyfacts in that post.

The court ruled it didn’t impact the result.

THEY STILL DONT MAKE ANY RULING ON THIS

On the plus side at least you did not repeat the claim that he was not found to have lied so baby steps eh Mr 100% one hand man

4/10 not your best work.
    I bow out of engaging with obvious troll

gordimhor

Jambalaya you are Alistair Carmichael.Keep the £5 you’ll only claim it back anyway.

epicyclo

He lied. The court ruled so. It was a technicality that got him off.

I don’t know anyone who supports independence who thinks having a Tory govt is in the slightest bit in Scotland’s interests.

As to whether it affected the result, that anyone’s guess. He went into the election as a trusted long term MP and won a very narrow victory. Judging by the reaction in Orkney to the lie, he’s wrecked the LibDem chances in the Scottish elections in 2016.

But the most significant thing about this affair is that it demonstrates how hard it is to bring a dishonest politician to book.

Oh, and we will continue to crowdfund the Orkney Four so they suffer no loss.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

He lied, the judges’ report said so. We can all describe him as a liar without any risk of any formal action. He lied. The government’s internal enquiry cost a million or so, as a result of his lies.

He’s an Elder of the Church, and a Solicitor. This doesn’t stand well with being a liar. I suspect the Church and the Law Society are wondering what to do if this doesn’t go away quickly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Parliamentary standards investigation also to be negotiated as well which is going to be tricky for the liar given the costs etc

imnotverygood

Guys. A politician is a liar. This is worth 6 pages?

bencooper
    Free Member

Plus he had his own crowdfunding thing – only raised £8500, but he’s not declared it in the Register of Members’ Interests.

Naughty.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Alistair Carmichael, catspaw or lying toad.’ is closed to new replies.