Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Alistair Brownlee for SPOTY?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’ve not seen it.

There will be a lot of potential SPOTY winners this year but my vote goes to AB.

Dibbs
    Free Member

You can’t give it to one brother and not the other! 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Team award!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stuff of legends that is.

Watched it in the news this morning . What even better was the lack of hesitation. He knew exactly what he was going to do before he got there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

‘I wish the flippin’ idiot had paced it right’ – Alistair Brownlee on brother Jonny’s collapse

no this is the truly British best bit 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wondered when we were going to do this. Brings a lump to the throat doesn’t it.

Someone who understands sportsmanship like that doesn’t need a silly little bbc trinket though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont think sportmanship got anything to do with it onzadog.

bloods thicker than water after all – do you really think theres a man alive who would have stopped for anyone but his brother in that situation ? – bearing in mind there are plenty of other people around who are better placed to help him ?

zilog6128

Honourable good sport award to the Spanish Triathlon Federation 🙂

The ITU dismissed the Spanish Triathlon Federation’s appeal to disqualify Jonny, because “athletes can receive help from another athlete”.

aracer
    Free Member

For which he’d have got a DQ

DezB
    Free Member

Looked bloody dangerous to me!
    Needed a good sit down and a cuppa, not to be dragged 200m to the finish line 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

point went directly over your head aracer.

his race WAS over.

As i said – blood is thicker than water – he aint heavy etc etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, but I believed him when he said he’d have done the same for anyone.

Rockape63
    Free Member

was awesome….what a man!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bearing in mind there are plenty of other people around who are better placed to help him ?

He said in the post race interview that one of the reasons he didn’t leave his brother at the side of the road is there’s massive medical help at the finish line, with all the equipment and that’s where he’d get proper attention (which was only a few hundred yards away). Leaving him back on the course was more dangerous for his bro. but yes, he was never going to leave him behind under the circumstances of the series standings.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not very sporting towards the Spanish fella though is it?

If we can leave the jingoism out of it for a moment and treat all competitors as equals then Alastair tried his best to stop another competitor from winning fair and square by aiding his brother and pushing him over the line ahead of himself. As it turned out Mola had done enough so there was no harm done and we can all look at it as an example of brotherly love but had Alastair’s actions denied Mosa of the world title it would have been a travesty.

He said in the post race interview that one of the reasons he didn’t leave his brother at the side of the road is there’s massive medical help at the finish line, with all the equipment and that’s where he’d get proper attention (which was only a few hundred yards away). Leaving him back on the course was more dangerous for his bro.

If that was his only intention he wouldn’t of carried on at as near to race pace as he could manage and would have continued to help him in to the arms of the medical help rather than throw him ahead of himself at the finish in order to gain the extra place.

trail_rat
    Free Member

havnt seen the interview right enough im in the back end of arsefuck with crap interent . Maybe he is even more of a hero than i gave him credit for.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    Not very sporting towards the Spanish fella though is it?

Given that it’s draft legal etc. which is giving assistance I can see why that was allowed

aracer
    Free Member

Did you see that travesty back in July, where the actions of the Sky team denied Romain Bardet his rightful win?

trail_rat
    Free Member

but had Alastair’s actions denied Mosa of the world title it would have been a travesty.

is that by the letter of the rules or the spirit of the rules ? or has triathlon been taken over by the UCI ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Given that it’s draft legal etc. which is giving assistance I can see why that was allowed

No smiley?

Drafting is not the same as physically dragging someone. In a run I’m not sure how many milliseconds he would have gained by drafting as opposed to the likely dnf he gained by being dragged to the finish line.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

is that by the letter of the rules or the spirit of the rules ? or has triathlon been taken over by the UCI ?

i don’t know the ins and outs of triathlon rules. Given that theres been no action taken it appears that AB’s actions are within the rules. In my mind it’s against the spirit of fair competition.

sharkbait
    Free Member

we can all look at it as an example of brotherly love but had Alastair’s actions denied Mosa of the world title it would have been a travesty.

Would it have been a travesty had AB allowed his bro to draft the whole of the bike section in order to get an advantage? Doubt it.

Drafting is not the same as physically dragging someone.

Urm really? 😕

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    havnt seen the interview right enough im in the back end of arsefuck with crap interent . Maybe he is even more of a hero than i gave him credit for.

A cynical person might argue that he would say those things immediately afterwards (getting him to a place of guaranteed medical help / I’d have also done just the same for Schoeman if he’d collapsed so close to the line) in the hope it might get Jonny off from being DQ’d. nothing like this had been seen before (according to the commentators).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Urm really?

Yep, even in a bike race (which this wasn’t), it’s allowed to sit close behind a competitor to draft but illegal to have a competitor physically push (or drag?) you. The commissaires often let it go for short periods of time but riders have been reprimanded for pushing.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

He said in the post race interview that one of the reasons he didn’t leave his brother at the side of the road is there’s massive medical help at the finish line, with all the equipment and that’s where he’d get proper attention (which was only a few hundred yards away). Leaving him back on the course was more dangerous for his bro.
    If that was his only intention he wouldn’t of carried on at as near to race pace as he could manage and would have continued to help him in to the arms of the medical help rather than throw him ahead of himself at the finish in order to gain the extra place.

——–

Are you Spanish?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I personally think it should be against the rules as surely it is worse than drafting.

However quite incredible how far they are prepared to push themselves 😯

I bet they were still running faster than any of us could

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

B.A.Nana. You’re mods to my post seem fair enough, I think I would still say the primary concern appeared to be the placing rather than the medical help but that’s definitely up for debate.

Are you Spanish?

Nope I’m British.

When people bang on about British values (which they’ve done a lot this year!) I tend to view fair play as one of the ones to aspire to and that needs to count across all competitors not just the British ones or the ones we like.

sharkbait
    Free Member
    franksinatra

do you really think theres a man alive who would have stopped for anyone but his brother in that situation ?

My brother would have flashed his arse cheeks at me, flipped the V and run straight past whilst calling me a fanny and laughing his head off.

durhambiker
    Free Member

If Ali’s actions were shameful to try to deprive Mola of the title, then Murray has questions to answer for waiting to cross the line until he knew Mola was still in 5th place behind him. Mola needed 5th to secure the series, and Murray was going to do what he could to make sure he got it, even if that meant finishing in 6th behind him.

Great work by both Brownlees. JB gave everything in that race to try to win the series, AB went to his aid when he needed it and damn the consequences. Mola did just enough to maintain his position.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Spanish appeal has been dismissed so I guess it’s not against the letter of the rules but I can’t help feeling it’s not quite in the spirit. And I do wonder if he really would have done the same for anyone else. Helped them out maybe, but pushed them across the line like that?

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe not – but as mentioned in the post above yours, that bit isn’t really any different to what Murray was planning

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the flip side would be back in the Giro last year when Porte got a wheel from someone who wasn’t on his team as the team cars had all gone past, zero real advantage but a penalty to the letter of the law. In the end apply the rules, if they are not working fix them

trail_rat
    Free Member

im still of the opinion that regardless of whether he would do it for anyone – the fact he is his brother is enough of a reason for me for him to justify his actions.

Obviously haterz gonna hate and we will probably see a no help from a family member in the same race rule applied…..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

durhambiker – Member
    If Ali’s actions were shameful to try to deprive Mola of the title, then Murray has questions to answer for waiting to cross the line until he knew Mola was still in 5th place behind him. Mola needed 5th to secure the series, and Murray was going to do what he could to make sure he got it, even if that meant finishing in 6th behind him.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was a bit confused last night. I knew they trained together, but didn’t quite get what he was doing on the line with mola, other than maybe celebrating with him (in a funny way)

convert

I’m in the lump in my throat camp.

Sod the nitty gritty of sporting rules, sport (and life in general) need more of what those two have got. Their gung-ho, push until it hurts then push some more attitude to racing has transformed the sport and then acts like yesterday’s take it to another level.

Back at the 2004 Olympics Marc Jenkins’ running with his broken bike antics to ensure he finished (last) the triathlon he was so proud to represent his country in was similarly uplifting.

maccruiskeen

If not SPOTYt then surely its a shoe-in for Stars in their Eyes.

“Tonight Mathew I’m going to be Ian Curtis”

davosaurusrex

I’m sure if Mola had been denied the title as a result then the Brownlees would have been disqualified. But he wasn’t so they let it go as it’s a good news story.
    Might show it to my parents whilst I hum the tune to “Two Little Boys”. Guarantee they’ll both cry.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think he should get it for this, but they both do a lot to encourage kids to do well, and not just in sport. They visit many local schools in Yorkshire, take part in local fell races, organise events, and I’ve seen them spectating at the 3 Peaks CX before now.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Everyone knows that boring twunt Murray will win SPOTY again this year..
    Sadly.
    Even though great things like this happen..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Alistair Brownlee for SPOTY?’ is closed to new replies.