Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Aligning Shimano Calipers – Advice please!
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So, I have some shiny new brakes but, having been used to Avids and their concave washers, I’m wondering how I adjust the Calipers as the Shimano brakes don’t have the washers as supplied.

Is it just a case of bolting them on and ensuring the pads are parallel with the disc?

Cheers

Chris

andyl
    Free Member

You can try centring them by eye but one way I do is undo the caliper to adpater bolts a bit. Squeeze the lever and use something to keep it squeezed. Give the caliper a wiggle to make sure it’s sitting in the right spot and then tighten up.

Then check that there is no rubbage when spinning the wheel and that the disc doesnt get deflected to one side when the brakes are applied.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

loosen caliper bolts, spin wheel up, slowly pull brake lever on and hold it on, tighten bolts up, release lever, job done. Variation on Andyl’s method but always worked for me with all makes of caliper. You dont need concave washers, the bolt holes are elongated to accomodate sideways adjustment of the caliper.

timbur
    Free Member

What ctm said.

martinhutch

I always find that doing it CTM’s way then fine tuning it by eye gets the best results, and helps make sure both the pistons are engaging properly.

chris_db
    Free Member

Thanks all. no need for the washers!

garage-dweller

Might need a couple of washers for coarse adjustment. I have one fork/wheel combo that needs 2mm or so of shims before adjusting on the slots as there is an especially wide gap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Aligning Shimano Calipers – Advice please!’ is closed to new replies.