Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alfine/Single Speed CX Disc Frame – What're my options?
  • Daffy

Roadrat?
    Pompetamine?
    Genesis Day One (not available as frame only?)

?
    ?
    ?

Daffy

None?

federalski
    Free Member

All City Nature boy at Triton Cycles maybe?

Daffy

Those are nice looking bikes. Sadly neither frame does the job. The Natureboy is slot dropout, but no disc and the Machoman is disc, but not slot droupout.

Cheers though. Never head of them before.

bentudder

Maybe Cotic roadrat, at a stretch?

Are you looking specifically for a ‘cross bike, or a bike that has cyclocross tendencies for, say, commuting or touring?

federalski
    Free Member

Ahaa, seen the All City a few day’s ago and wasn’t sure. Cool.

duckman

If you can live with a tensioner
    Singular Gryphon
    Salsa Vaya

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Might not be what you’re looking for but I’ve seen a fair few ‘cross / monster cross builds on Surly Karate Monkeys which would cover the disc / alfine / ss bases – am actually considering similar plans for mine. They’re great all rounders but probably a bit heavy for ‘cross racing.

Some good deals on at Triton cycles too – 20″ grey going for £259 at the moment and £50 off the new disc specific ones.

scotroutes

Any disc frame you want and a Philcentric EBB.

bentudder

Not sure about the Vaya, but the Gryphon has an EBB – no tensioner required. Singular has large and extra large in stock, by the looks of it.

FWIW, I have a Specialized Tricross singlespeed frame built up with a Nexus 8 hub – the track ends are 120mm, and you can reduce the width of the Nexus by removing some of the coaster brake fittings on the non drive side. No discs, unfortunately, but I have to say I’ve not massively missed them. Would be nice, but not vital for what I’m using it for. You’re probably using it for something else, mind.

One question: why not get a custom frame made? Might be worth pricing something with Black Cat swinging dropouts up. A little extra could get you exactly what you want, and it’d be a keeper…

Daffy

Sadly the Vaya doesn’t fit the bill, and while The Gryphon fits, it looks a little odd with CX tyres…

Stoner
    Free Member

love my pompetamine, SS or with Rohloff (shifter on a bar adaptor)
    Bargin at O-O at the moment. £140! http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPO135/on_one_pompetamine_2012_frame

Daffy

Stoner – How heavy is the Pomp?

Stoner
    Free Member

errrr, no idea.
    frame weighs less than an inbred, more than a scandal. HTH 😉

website says 2.2Kg, so about 5lbs.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Is it specifically for cross racing? Or a bit more of a do it all?

For do it all maybe a Kaffenback with slot swapouts?

Daffy

More do it all. Not keen on the Kaffenback. I had one about 3 years ago and never got on with it.

<girl mode>, Besides, the current colour scheme is gopping </girl mode>

bentudder

Hmm. So what *is* the bill you mention above? Are you planning on racing this and shouldering it? If so, then maybe sticking a hefty hub on the back might not be so hot. Could you give us a little more information about what you want to use it for?

Daffy

Mostly commuting (15 miles with about 5 of it offroad), but when asked if I’d like to go for a ride after work, I’d prefer not to go home and change bikes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alfine/Single Speed CX Disc Frame – What're my options?’ is closed to new replies.