Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alfine vs 1×10
  • Saccades
    Free Member

I have a 32:18 alfine 8 and I’m wondering how that compares to a 1×10 setup? I’ve a 3×9 that I’m tempted to go 1×10 to offset the weight of a dropper post – I’m used to big gaps and grinding so would it be worth it?

Anyone with real life experience or who can tell me the theoretical differences?

clubber
    Free Member

Alfine 8 has a range of 307%

An 11-36 cassette has a range of 327%

So a 1×10 with the 11-36 will have a wider range and on average, smaller jumps between the gears than the alfine 8.

Alfine 8
    Gear 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Ratio 0.527 0.644 0.748 0.851 1.000 1.223 1.419 1.615

So using your 32:18 gearing, you multiply all those numbers by 1.78 (32 divided by 18) for your overall ratio – eg 0.93 to 2.87

An 11-36 1×10 with 32 chainring has a range of 0.89 to 2.91 (32/36 to 32/11)

So this would mean that the 1×10 has a slighly lower lowest (easiest) gear but a slightly harder/faster highest gear

ndthornton
    Free Member

Of course you can move the range where you want it with alfine by changing the sprocket size – your more restricted with 1×10 to a higher range.

1×10 would have been no good for me with the steep hills I ride on.

however, 1×10 with one of those 42T cassette conversions + clutch mech + N/W chain ring looks quite tempting. But wasn’t available when I was building up the Alfine bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Isn’t there a limit on the lowest ratio you’re supposed to run with an alfine for risk of the torque tearing it to pieces (or at least wearing it out very fast)

Saccades
    Free Member

Cheers clubber – I love maths so that is exactly what I’m looking for, The 1×10 is actually slightly lower and slightly higher with a more even spread than the Alfine 8.

:badger:

1×10 it is – Chain device from superstar and some shorter crank bolts I think.

scotroutes

Clubber – Not on the 8 speed

ndthornton
    Free Member

Some say there is – some say there isn’t

I run 32 x 21
    Its the only setup that would work for me – and still involves a bit of grunting on the steepest climbs.

I went for the Alfine 8 so if it blows up the experiment hasn’t cost me a fortune.

2 months in – working well (frantically touching wood)

clubber
    Free Member

I recall that TJ ran his with a granny ring for strathpuffer, admittedly being careful not to overload it and it seemed to survive.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m liking is so far though – running it full suss and the silence is golden when blatting through rock gardens – brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 🙂

All I do is hose it down after mucky rides – no need for meticulous cleaning 🙂

I can (or feel like I can) feel the slight inefficiency in my granny gear though which is a bit annoying. On the plus side its getting me super fit and when I ride my ‘normal’ bike im flying!

scotroutes

FWIW I ran an 11 speed Alfine with a standard two ring crank set-up on my fatbike last winter and nothing went bang.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve heard/read of one person buggering the clutch but he was 300lb and grinding up a hill in (22:20), so pretty extreme as I’m 220lb and ride a up 95% of everything as I am. A few have dropped the gearing right down for the strathpuffer? (in snow anyhows) without a problem.

ndthornton
    Free Member

22:20
    wow

0.5797 – can you even balance at that speed?

Saccades
    Free Member

Would have to think so I guess – was an american fella looking to get fit and knew it was way over the limit (it might even have been a red band nexus thinking about it – was over 5 years ago when I was building up my alfine mtb).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alfine vs 1×10’ is closed to new replies.