Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alfine Tensioner not compatible with MTB chainline…solutions?
  • spooky_b329

I’m running an Alfine 8 with a narrow-wide front ring on the middle position of a triple crankset.

Its a full susser so have been running a jury-rigged rear mech as a tensioner.

Bought the Alfine CT-S500 tensioner (the two jockey wheel version) only to find that it does not align with the cog when you are running the Alfine cog ‘dish out’ to match the chainline of the front chainring.

It comes with 5mm of spacers to correct but it gets no where near the correct position…it is only engaged into the derailleur hanger about 3 turns when it lines up.

I flipped the cog but the chainline is very poor, I can swap a spacer on the BB to bring the chainring in a couple of mm but its still way off.

Has anyone got any weird or wonderful ideas to space the tensioner out? Its a real shame as its much more compact than a normal mech and stronger spring as well.

thepodge
    Free Member

I ran a superstar components zinger tensioner on my full suspension / alfine setup without problems. Not overly helpful right now but perhaps an alternative for you

spooky_b329

Thanks, I did see the Zinger but £25 v £7.50 for the Alfine version was an easy choice.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m selling my FS frame so may sell my Zinger too

bigyinn
    Free Member

But not if it doesnt work!

spooky_b329

Correct bigyinn. Didn’t think about the fact it may not be adjustable!

podge, let me know if/when it happens, thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll probably have time to hunt it out this eve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alfine Tensioner not compatible with MTB chainline…solutions?’ is closed to new replies.