Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alfine tensioner any good for ss?
  • DJTC
    Free Member

Im singlespeeding my DH bike. Alfine tensioner looks nice and neat and should do the trick of keeping the chain tight. just wondering if it will be strong enough to hold up to the abuse?

anyone used one and know of its reliability. other option is the acor tensioner as the superstar one is out of stock.

cheers.

shermer75
    Free Member

Alfine tensioners have no spring, so wouldn’t work with a full sus (unless the chain stay pivots around the bottom bracket)

spooky_b329

I got the CTS500, it doesn’t have any adjustment for chainline (with the exception of about 3mm of washers. If you google I’m sure you can find the chainline measurement, but it doesn’t match up with the middle chainring position on a standard MTB crankset. Singlespeed specific crankset – could fit but I don’t know how the chainline differs?

It also doesn’t fit an Alfine when you have the dished cog flipped to suit an mtb.

(The CTS500 does have a spring for tensioning though)

shermer75
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

I’m using the one Shermer links to for an Alfine on a full sus. Not a huge amount of tensioning capacity so check your frame doesn’t have a silly amount of chain growth!

shermer75
    Free Member

If you are worried about robustness, then this Surly cahin tensioner is more likely to be better made. It is also nearly triple the price.

DJTC
    Free Member

thanks for the input. will give the alfine a miss. The Acor one looks to be my best bet.

wwaswas

Get a Rohloff DH tensioner, they’re designed for exactly that purpose.

I used one to ss my fs bike.

wwaswas

here it is:

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve got a superstar components zinger that I used to use on a singlespeed giant trance full suspension frame that I’m not using. I can do you a cheap deal

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Chainline on an alfine tensioner is 42mm or thereabouts. Useless! And not adjustable. Shame as they seem nicely made. Go t one sat in my bits box from exactly what youre wanting to use it for.

DJTC
    Free Member

YGM Podge

sheeps

I’ve got a Planet X/On-One tensioner (with a spring) which you can alter the position of the guide jockey wheel to suit the chainline. Don’t remember it being very expensive and it’s been a fit and forget item!

*edit: exactly the one that Shermer75 has linked to!!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Alfine tensioners are rubbish – even on an Alfine. Rohloff for quality, Superstar for cheapness. other stuff in between.

thepodge
    Free Member

DJTC, I’ve replied to your email

I’ve tried lots of tensioners on full suspension frames and the only ones that take up enough chain are ones that pivot in the middle replicating a rear mech. All the single arm ones tend to be only any good for taking up a bit of slack, not lots

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

Bit pricey, but this might be a good option:

Melvin Chain Tensioner

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alfine tensioner any good for ss?’ is closed to new replies.