Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alfine – suitable for a bit o rough?
  • wors

Thinking about ditching the road bike,had too many near misses of late. Can take an alternate route which involves a bit of bridleway, canal towpath. Nowt too rough, are they durable enough?

epicyclo

Steve of Square Wheels swears by his (on a Swift). It gets used on much rougher stuff than towpaths 🙂

packer
    Free Member

Yep. Lots of people I know using them off road in all conditions with no problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd have thought its the sealing that's the issue rather then terrain (bar lots of steep climbs).

finnegan
    Free Member

Mrs F has had an Alfine on her Inbred for a little over three years, and has ridden it pretty much daily since, including some pretty rough stuff and in all weathers. I took the hub into the LBS for a speculative service last year, they disassembled it, regreased etc, but said it actually didn't need any attention at all – no ingress of anything – so I guess the sealing is pretty good.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Hub at Glentress use Alfine equipped Genesis iO ID as hire bikes so that says something about the suitability for off road use.

nosedive
    Free Member

what sort of gear spread do you get with these things? Is it like running 1 x 9?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pretty much like running an 11-34 8 speed cassette gear spread wise.

nosedive
    Free Member

tempting. I had a mech destroy the spokes on the drive side of a wheel a couple of weeks ago, some sort of alternative is very appealing (cue responses about correct mech adjustment…)

cupra
    Free Member

almost 200 miles mostly off-road and can't fault it, it even leaves the ground!

convert

Alfine 11spd on the way but proper money £375 ish plus shifter. That will be XT quality. The 8spd Deore quality current one is great though and more than a match for what you want to do with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alfine – suitable for a bit o rough?’ is closed to new replies.